My WRX Hood Scoop Install

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

My WRX Hood Scoop Install

Post by Dynamic Entry »

I have enough of a perfectionist streak in me that if I don't think I can do something right I sometimes don't do it at all. That is why I have had a WRX scoop in my house for 2 years and I even drove around with a hole in my hood for 6 months.

I set that part of my personality aside lately. I have embraced the fact that my car might be bad-ass one day, but it will never be a show car.

Firts thing you need to do is get the old scoop off. This isn't hard but you have to pull the lining off the inside of the hood first. I wasn't able to nicely remove the clips and I just tore the shit off.
As far as i know this is a sound reducing item, but part of me thinks it is made of asbestos so maybe hold your breath.

Then the bolts retaining the stock scoop will be showing and you can take it off.

This leaves us with a hole that has recessed tabs and you realize that Subaru does a much better job of fitting scoops on/in than you evar could

Sorry about no pics yet, but all the above work was done too long ago...

At first I was cutting cardboard silhouettes and taping stuff and measuring stuff and pencilling lines and junk

but in the end I just plopped the scoop right on the hood using the center bolts and holes to make sure it was center and eye-balled the front/back position of both sides. Don't tell my dad.....

then I sharpied the outline onto the hood. Didn't get a pic of this... but it was hard b/c the stubs on the bottom of the scoop make it sit above the hood.
My recommendation: Trace a conservative outline and err on the side of the hole being too small! It is SO easy to widen it later with the dremel!

The dremel with cut-off wheels did the trick well. You can be very precise and I used less than 1 pack which cost about $8

If you are patient and thorough you can match the curve exactly

Someone else on here has already written that a dremel is the way to go on this one because then you can cut the top layer only exposing the bottom layer.

Then the scoops stubs and bolts that come out the bottom can go through holes you drill in this second layer.

got some shiny urethane locking nuts to go on the bolts

The height that the second layer is at is perfect and the scoop will be flush to the hood. Lucky!

At first this side was a bit small so I cut off an extra 1mm from the top side, now its tite!

but this side is where I was too rash when tracing, and it shows. I guess i will have to bodyfill the whole scoop in some day.

so as you can see it is good from far but far from good

Bonus: http://youtube.com/watch?v=b8rjs9mTREw
Last edited by Dynamic Entry on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
theflystyle
Second Gear

Post by theflystyle »

very nice... like the peek through the trees...
-94 Legacy L
-94 SVX LSi
-08 Legacy 3.0R

-And the list of things your should never say again...gets longer....
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

So thats where you have been! :)
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

yes and no Mike. I have another sob story for you, apparently not everything I take apart goes back together.

I broke a bolt off inside the threads for the oil return pipe on that turbo. So the system remains stock *pout*
Andrew

95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

thnat is some jackie chan shit
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
PhilSine
First Gear

Post by PhilSine »

Nice frickin catch
91 Legacy SS
98 OBS-T
sublunacy
First Gear

Post by sublunacy »

yea thats Sweet!!!
"Hows the transition look?"
91 turbo manual
BMX in the trunk!!!
def09
First Gear

WRX scoop

Post by def09 »

I hope an intercooler install is next for you. I love the fit on that scoop!
Looks like my next project.
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

the intercooler is definately the next thing that I will do.

it's pretty stupid that it hasn't happened yet, i have had an '06 top mount for about a year and a half......
Andrew

95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
def09
First Gear

wrx ic

Post by def09 »

Thats what I am using, so if you have any questions I can try and help. It is really easy w/ the 06 wrx i/c.
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

what turbo are you using

the VF11's 45° outlet is what pwned me before, so i bought a TD04 just so that the plumbing geometry would be easier but twice i had problems with the oil return pipe...

so I have been elbow deep thrice tryin to swap turbos and add an intercooler. this is my dd so I always HAVE to finish what I start

at this point everything seems ready to go, I just need to find a chunk of time that will allow me to get it all in there....
Andrew

95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

how did you make your grill look that way???
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

RE Grill

ya, it's too bad I was so lazy back then, I should've done a thread on that too

others have done this before though, search around and you'll find something

but basically you take the grill off, use a dremel to cut the arms off (red lines) to get a hollow grill, and then fill in the holes that are left on the sides since those plastic arms are not solid (hence the red circle showing you will have a hole there)

then paint and find some mesh to JB weld onto the back

I painted my mesh bronze before mounting it
Andrew

95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

Looks great! Very well done love the match with the grill and hoodscoop.
91 SS -Carbon Bronze Pearl
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid
Built by NWSS www.simplysubie.com

93 Ford Ranger-DD
91 Rio Red SS- RallyX Project
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

Sponsors: NWSS, Forced Performance, Surgeline, RalliTEK
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

Thanks man, I am of course also a fan

too bad my projector fogs are just sitting around instead of completing the look
Andrew

95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

i fucked mine up man, i used a jig saw and cut through both layers of the hood and wanted to sit the scoop inside, i really dont know what i was thinking, i had to build a support underneath and the bondo the scoop on there, the bondo just cracks so i am going to have to fibreglass it, it doesnt look bad now but forgive when i steal your mesh idea, it looks sick.

it's funny, we almost have the same ride, same colour, scoops, and were both looking for the time to install our td04 and 06 top mount. i'm thinking sept long, take a burn down and u can give me a hand, j/k looks great man, post some more pics of your car, i'd love to see the rest
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

ewww, yah, thats the key of using the dremel instead

but let's just get new hoods and try again cuz mine is F'd on one side anyway.....

I made an announcement in the ashtray: I am moving to Africa. I won't be touching my car for about 10 months or so.... sad times in the Legacy area of life

good luck with the intercooler install. it is completely necessary and I regret not prioritizing it way earlier

I'll take a trip to Van city next summer to play catch up with your car.....
Andrew

95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Re: My WRX Hood Scoop Install

Post by x2hawt4ux »

i want to bring this thread back. i see this question a lot and here is the best answer. IMO.

Good job.
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

I just wanted to add my little touch to this thread that i felt really help me get the desired results i was looking for. I wanted a nice clean cut for the top layer of sheet metal so i took my time with a dremel. As for the bottom, i just went freddy kruger with a cut off wheel because it wasnt as important to get the lines right. Its not pretty, but pretty is not what i was going for. Im looking more for rightious and kickass. In order for me to get the hood scoop to sit flush how i wanted it, i trimmed the bottom most layer of the hood so that just these little notches remained. So that when i bolted the hood scoop to them, i could bend each one independently up or down, so that everything was allowed to sit flush. I am currently in the process of using some expanding foam to create a sort of forced induction chute that will force the air that enters the scoop to have no other path then to through the intercooler. WRX's and STI's have a sweet rubber seal ( idk if this is stock, but just about every car i see has it) but i didnt think it was going to work well enough for the way we have our intercoolers sitting. I will post pics of that as well when im done.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

good idea i'm getting ready to do t his myself. good advice.
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

As promised, my foam intercooler forced induction set up. The air entering the scoop has no where to go except through the intercooler. Again, not very pretty, but extremely functional over not having there as far as im concerned. I intended on just filling in the gaps in the hood, but got inspired. If i really cared i could have used bondo or fiber glass or maybe... As im typing this, the idea of using that garage door sealer that people use for thier "front lip" might actually work and look good... to late now.

1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

sorry for the huge pics here is my installImageImageImageImage
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

The insulation layer you ripped off helps keep the paint from blistering from engine heat. It would be wise to put some back on if you want to keep the hood nice for any length of time.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

^ I ran for years without it, and a much hotter engine bay to boot. Garrett turbo 2 inches from the hood.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Bare hood for me too. 5K miles with this turbo but I have a blanket on mine.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson