EJ22T stroker question

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Caboobaroo
In Neutral

EJ22T stroker question

Post by Caboobaroo »

So I'm searching all over the place, between a couple different board but I have some things running through my head still.

Looking at taking the EJ22T and stroking it to a 2.35 I think. This would intail taking a phase 1 2.5 rotating assembly (crank and rods) and stuffing them into the 22T block. Now I've done a couple strokers before but they were Chevys and there was some block clearances that had to be addressed. Is the same going to be for the 22T or is this going to be something you can drop in and forget. I'm also pretty sure that I'd have to use the EJ25 main bearings in the 22 block as well, correct?

Next is the pistons. Now I've seen people talk about a few different brands and such, mainly the Wiseco brand but what would I need to go with, the 22 or the 25, or are they the same? What about sreleeving the block even though its closed deck?

Just for the record, this motor is getting built for my '87 RX. I also have a set of EJ20G DOHC heads that I'm going to be going through to make a little "better". I need to finish up getting all the parts so I can do it all at once, drop it in the car and let it run :twisted:
1987 RX STi - EJ22T/EJ20K/EJ257
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Wiseco makes a special piston for the 2.35...it is basically a shorter 2.2 .020" piston that allows for the extra stroke
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Caboobaroo
In Neutral

Post by Caboobaroo »

Is there a link you could possibly direct me to for that? Would I have to have the block punched out .020 for them as well?
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

YEah, you need the block bored to the piston size. So you need the piston in hand to give to the machine shop when they bore the block to size.

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/i ... ubaru.html

Bottom of the page
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
Caboobaroo
In Neutral

Post by Caboobaroo »

that kind of sounded like a stupid question since I know you have to bore the block to put oversized pistons in there, I just wasn't sure if they had a stock diameter. Since they only list the .020 and the .040, I'm gonna go with the .020 for my build.

So next question, should I keep the factory 2.5 rods or upgrade those as well? What kind of rings and bearings does everyone tend to use?
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Rings come with the wisecos

ACL race bearings

Rods? I still have not found the long rods yet. And I bent a stock long rod myself....
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

wiseco says themselves that subaru rings are the best. Rods is why I haven't done it yet.
Kickin' it old-school.
PhilSine
First Gear

Post by PhilSine »

Keep us updated on this please as I'm about to do the same thing. I've asked questions over at NASIOC but have only had one reply thus far.

I'm looking for around 400 hp to the wheels with a target CR of 9:1

What I want to know is how big of an injector is needed, what is the best way to get to 9:1 CR, and what turbo would most likely fit the build?

Also, I'm having difficulty finding engine management recommendations for the ODB1 ECU's.

Any and all enlightenment is greatly appreciated.
91 Legacy SS
98 OBS-T
Caboobaroo
In Neutral

Post by Caboobaroo »

so no upgradable rods known yet. Hmmm.

Douglas, how much power are you running to bend a rod like that and what kind of a setup?
marc l
In Neutral

Post by marc l »

i have a 2.4L stroker in my impreza. the pistions were actually a TWE designed piston to work with sti rods.

so basicly the same design

98mm bore, 79mm stroke crank, k1 sti length rods, and custom TWE pistons. only machine work done was the boring, and regrind on the crank.

HUGE torque out of it until the turbo hits, then its a bat out of hell!... scary. not only that but with the rebuild and new parts going into the heads, it will spin really nicely to 7500 rpm ;)
PhilSine
First Gear

Post by PhilSine »

marc l wrote:i have a 2.4L stroker in my impreza. the pistions were actually a TWE designed piston to work with sti rods.

so basicly the same design

98mm bore, 79mm stroke crank, k1 sti length rods, and custom TWE pistons. only machine work done was the boring, and regrind on the crank.

HUGE torque out of it until the turbo hits, then its a bat out of hell!... scary. not only that but with the rebuild and new parts going into the heads, it will spin really nicely to 7500 rpm ;)
Any dyno numbers on it?

Any idea what your CR is?

And what fuel pump, injectors, and turbo are you using?

These are the outstanding questions I have. I plan on taking all winter to build my engine and finish the car so I have time to wait for input and do planning.

I just got done clearing enough space in my garage so I can really work on the body. The more I look at the car the more in love with it I become.
91 Legacy SS
98 OBS-T
marc l
In Neutral

Post by marc l »

no dyno numbers yet, i had some oldddd school ej20g leg, heads on it and im in the process of swapping them out including a bunch more stuff ;)

the compression ratio was 8.5
i used a 255 walbro pump, stock 440 injectors and i was using a 16g turbo, running 8 pounds during tuning, and the car would absolutly distroy a wrx. so much torque and power.

with the new setup im going with most likely a gt3071r turbo, upgraded injectors and a hybrid intercooler setup ;)

if you have more questions about it feel free to PM me

ill try and answer everything about it that i can
Caboobaroo
In Neutral

Post by Caboobaroo »

so you're running TWE pistons that are designed to work with the EJ257 rods but what crank are you using? The EJ257 or the EJ25D? The regrind on the crank was that the crank journals for putting oversized bearings in it or was there more that you did like shaving and such.

Oh and links to parts would be awesome cause I'm tired and don't want to search right now. :-D
marc l
In Neutral

Post by marc l »

its an sti ej257.

its kinda a contrary, if u look at the cranks from every 79 mm stroke there all the same with placed for center and end bearings.

and yea the pistons were custom designed to work for the ej257 rods. its MUCH easier to do it that way, cuz its almost impossible trying to find a ej25d custom rod.

the regrind was just for over size bearings. nothing to do with getting it to fit in the motor.

its been said before, subaru's are like lego blocks and this is soo true.

umm i'll try and find links

the pistons are not listed on twe's site but
if you email tom about them i think he has a set on the shelf last time i talked to him.

and the rods... well u can use ANY aftermarket rod for the sti :)

hope that answers just about everything... right now i have it torn down for some new heads and some cossy parts ;)

cheers

marc l
def09
First Gear

Stoker

Post by def09 »

Phase one 2.5L forged h-beam rods Outfrontmotors.com. Forgive the format.
Josh Long
In Neutral

Post by Josh Long »

http://www.lola332.com/subaruparts.htm

These rods will work out great for what you are looking to do. Enjoy!
97 Legacy Outback 2.4ish turbo
impreza_GC8
First Gear

Post by impreza_GC8 »

For what its worth I achieved a 2.4L stroker motor in a different manner.
I have 2.2L turbo crank and rods in 2.5L block halves with 2.5 flat-top pistons, effectively "de-stroking" the 2.5L to 2.4L. It is running EJ25 HLA heads.
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i have a question becuse i have never done a stroker motor yet lol!! do i lose in top end like hwy top speed or gian in top speed? if i lose hwy top speed i dont want it.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto