4eat died strangely

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Kowalski
First Gear

4eat died strangely

Post by Kowalski »

i'm so fucked right now. first my loyale shits a rear subframe and i cant find shit for a new one and now my legacy won't move .
at like 4am today i ran over a tire that was standing up in the middle of the road. car made it over, teeter tottered on it for a second then i floored it and got off of it and wondered what the hell happened. car drove fine for a block after that and now seems to be in neutral all the time. i threw in an extra 2 quarts of fluid to no affect and discovered with the front end jacked up the front wheels will move, but can be stopped easily by hand even when revving engine. looking under the car i don't see any external damage, i'm going to try to drop the pan to look to see if one of the lines popped off or something but i'm thinking torque converter. is there any stupid things i should check before i tear everything apart? cheap 4eats in pa?
Herm99
First Gear

Post by Herm99 »

Did you check the fluid level before adding 2 qts? You dont want to be over filling the tranny, and you checked the fluid while the car was running right?

Sounds like you may of busted a cv axle, inspect the axles real well, its possible you separated a joint inside the boot, car wont move if thats the case.
99 OBS 2.2 -auto
Kowalski
First Gear

Post by Kowalski »

i wish i would have thought to take the boots off. shit was pretty violent and one of my axles was clicking a bit previously. i'll see early tomorrow
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Kowalski,

Just curious..... does your username have any significant meaning?

There was a car movie done in the 70's called vanishing point. The driver's name was Kowalski.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Kowalski
First Gear

Post by Kowalski »

nah, it's just my last name, and what most people call me by. after thinking about it for a bit i don't think its one of the axles. when i had the front end up i wiggled the one wheel back and forth and felt the usual little bit of play before the other side starts to move, so theres a bit of a connection there atleast, and the diff seems to be doing it's job. if one of the back axles is shot the car would still move right? if i don't get it moving tomorrow morning i'm putting the loyale back on the road and saving up for an eg33 + a 5sp. i already have the harness and ecu for it :twisted: i know someone's gotta have a cheap one around here. wheres frank?
Last edited by Kowalski on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Yes, try putting in the FWD fuse out of curiousity.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Kowalski
First Gear

Post by Kowalski »

first thing i tried :/
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Is the oil now overfilled?? Did you go through all the gears, you don't see any visable damage??
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Kowalski
First Gear

Post by Kowalski »

no visible damage at all, except to the metal part on the bottom of the bumper and a big ass indent in the rear footwell. the trans pan might be dented a little bit but thats probably just how it looked. i went through all the gears with the shifter and also with the actual little lever thing on the trans to make sure and nothing. i think it might have moved a little bit in reverse but it might just be wishful thinking. wheels did move with car off the ground though, so who knows. i'll do some fiddling tomorrow after i go to harry's in quakertown for the EA82 rear subframe i need
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Drain the fluid, and refill and go according the the dipstick with the engine on after filled to some degree, and make sure the car is level. Maybe the front diff went? But you would think the car would still move noticeablly since it is awd. You know what else you can try is unplug the tcu, there is two cables you can unplug one of them and it will still be able to shift but I think it will stay in 3rd either way it should move to some degree.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

Wow! Better headlights and bigger brakes may have prevented this from happening. haha!

So the axles turn when the car is jacked up and running in gear? Have you tried to stop one of the wheels while it's spinning? Maybe get under the car while it's idling in gear on 4 jackstands and a non-overweight friend in the driver seat ready to hit the brakes to see if the axles are sheared? Sounds fun right?
Air-to-Water Intercooler, VF-39, 550 injectors, AEM FIC, stainless race header, 3" stainless exhaust, 75hp Nitrous, 150psi H2O injection, intake mods, stock: long block, 4EAT, ecm.