Is scoop building a green? Scoop Pics!

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Is scoop building a green? Scoop Pics!

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

This is the scoop I've been working on, the old thread was pretty long, so I was thinking people stopped their updates, due to no responses on the latest update.

Let me know what you think, NOW is the time to change/add adjust... I'm nearly making the mold, after that, there's no turning back on this design, cause each mold is pricey!

Last edited by Legacy Rally Guy on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

Looks are secondary, that scoop will flow more air to a tmic. Im still in.
Kickin' it old-school.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Looks good. My only critique would be to make the top a bit more rounded. Compared to the curveature of the hood itself, the scoop looks a bit flat in the front view.

Overall it looks great.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

PhyrraM wrote:Looks good. My only critique would be to make the top a bit more rounded. Compared to the curveature of the hood itself, the scoop looks a bit flat in the front view.

Overall it looks great.
Thanks ^^ I think it's my crappy camera phone.. :3

Oh and there were some people in the build thread thinking it was a "build up" lol, it's being built, and not by a pro body shop, so it's taking a bit longer than usual I suppose... AND on my own money, so yeah, I wish I had the money to build it faster, but things gotta happen a $10 at a time..

Once I'm able to make a nice scoop from the final mold, it'll be sweetness.. cause then I can buy supplies with a peoples payments and hopefully recoup some loses I had with the body shop that stiffed me.

*update* I'm definitely going with a silicone mold, so I can pop out the scoops MUCH faster and with less mold rework...

Now I just need to save up for the mold supplies... I like this rather than taking depsites now, it keeps my part stress free and less rushed and ultimately a better product for you guys!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

I've been pretty sick lately, so I've fallen behind on the scoop, I've done some adjustments, but nothing massive.. I've a bit of sanding on it to smooth out the finish.. I bought some good primer the other day, to work out the last issues... The closer to perfect I get the scoop, the better the mold will come out!

If it's not too flipping cold tomorrow, I should get some sanding done! if not, I'll have it in primer by next monday!

I'm really trying to get this done by the end of november, so I can ship out these as christmas presents!
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Looks good. Me thinks a more squared off style might look more proper what with the legacy's boxy body lines

Maybe experiment with this if you build a Face-Lift scoop?
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Imprezive wrote:Looks good. Me thinks a more squared off style might look more proper what with the legacy's boxy body lines

Maybe experiment with this if you build a Face-Lift scoop?
yeah, I was going to make it all super round-ish... but it looked wrong for the more boxy stuff, I've a few small adjustments in the works to make it a more themed to the style appearance. It should be pretty close to done by next sunday. ^^ There's a lot of sand, fit, sand, fit, filler, sand, fit, sand.. :P If I had started off knowing how to do fiberglass, this would have been a much faster process. :P

I've learned a lot. So the post-facelift scoop should be much quicker...
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

What's your target price-range? I love the look, and I will consider buying one.
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
_Aramchek_
First Gear

Post by _Aramchek_ »

I'll take one if I can afford one. I like it.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Fkyx wrote:What's your target price-range? I love the look, and I will consider buying one.
it'll be $110 + shipping
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

_Aramchek_ wrote:I'll take one if I can afford one. I like it.
Thanks!

I brought it by a body shop, to ask what I could do to make it just a little bit nicer.

I'm working on some of the contours...

I've got the final plug nearly ironed out, I did some more fitting and sanding sunday. Though with my car on a frame rack, it's difficult to get proper fitment...

It's coming along, but it's a biotch trying to get this lady to pay for reapairs on my car, despite HER running the red light...

oh well, it's what risk we take driving stuff we love!
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

looks badass from the front.
FastRust
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

94SS_Canada wrote:looks badass from the front.
Thanks ^^ hehe

Oh and the little bumpy texture is gone. It's all smooth now. The part I'm working on now is making sure it's symetrical.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Legacy Rally Guy wrote:
Fkyx wrote:What's your target price-range? I love the look, and I will consider buying one.
it'll be $110 + shipping

Hmmmm... I think I'll be in for one. Will it use the stock hardware? Or will you be including hardware specific for its installation?
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Fkyx wrote:
Legacy Rally Guy wrote:
it'll be $110 + shipping

Hmmmm... I think I'll be in for one. Will it use the stock hardware? Or will you be including hardware specific for its installation?
It'll bolt on ^^ It will have studs mounted into the scoop, to bolt into the stock holes on the turbo hood.

I suppose I could include nuts.. :P
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Solid.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Sorry I'm behind on the scoop, it's very diffcult to fit and sand bits when my car is in the bodyshop waiting for parts... I asked the guys at the shop if they could tidy it up and they're like, "um, yes, but you'll save yourself a lot of money doing it yourself..." and then gave me a few pointers.. so HOPEFULLY within two weeks, I'll be back on the scoop...

Sorry guys
Narini
In Neutral

flow is the key

Post by Narini »

Simple thought - tape strands of wool - about 6 inches long, around the scoop and go for a drive. Have a friend drive a second car in front and beside you and have his passenger take pics. Can demonstrate airflow easily and cheaply. You may be surprised with the results!

Will help you sell more if good and help with design!

MaNicK
Phil
Team MaNick - Performance Rally Racing,
MaNicK at School - Road Safety Initiative
92 Legacy AWD, Turbo "Lacy"
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

ah, aero-test...

I could borrow a video camera and just mount it facing the scoop... a small enough camera in proper places wouldn't disturb the airflow around and into the scoop.

But first I need to get my car reassembled.. :P the last few parts are in, so I should start back up on the scoop build when I've my car "in hand" for final fitment.