wheel bearing noise????

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Snow-Attack
First Gear

wheel bearing noise????

Post by Snow-Attack »

ok so i have a 1990 legacy MT 253,000K and after driving like a mad man out here in wyoming on ice (first real big snow storm of the year) the next day the car started making a noise a little louder than the click click click of a CV joint and also it only does this when im driving in a straight line above 35mph and nothing below that speed and nothing when im turning...also it was making like a humming noise last night but that quite today when i drove it again...also it only does it under power as soon as i let off the throttle it goes away. oh and also the steering wheel vibrates with the clunk clunk clunk noise

thanks
Ben
1994 subaru legacy
MI winter package heated seats,mirrors,dark grey interior,5MT 202k,wrx 16" wheels
1992 Touring Wagon LE
td04 turbo,wrx tmic,tinted windows,sti pink struts,lowering springs,16" wheels,wrx brakes,remote start,keyless entry,alarm
Skruyd
Second Gear

Re: wheel bearing noise????

Post by Skruyd »

Snow-Attack wrote:ok so i have a 1990 legacy MT 253,000K and after driving like a mad man out here in wyoming on ice (first real big snow storm of the year) the next day the car started making a noise a little louder than the click click click of a CV joint and also it only does this when im driving in a straight line above 35mph and nothing below that speed and nothing when im turning...also it was making like a humming noise last night but that quite today when i drove it again...also it only does it under power as soon as i let off the throttle it goes away. oh and also the steering wheel vibrates with the clunk clunk clunk noise

thanks
Ben
You people and your car noises. Sorry, drunk. Anyways, if it is making a noise louder turning hard one way then it is one of your wheel bearings. When you put a load on the wheels it will make the noise louder. It almost sounds like (no pun) your tires are makeing the noise, or it could be your transmission. Noises can come from anywhere on the car. Can you possibly take a video and post it on youtube? Sorry I'm not helping much.
91 Subaru Legacy SS (Driving) 3"TBE, Vrg FCD, 440cc, HKS Safc, Vf10, ebay FMIC, Jecs
92 Toyota Corolla (fixing then selling)
06 ZZR600
Snow-Attack
First Gear

Post by Snow-Attack »

hahahahahaha asshole lol :lol: how could it be the tires???? and it goes away when i turn
1994 subaru legacy
MI winter package heated seats,mirrors,dark grey interior,5MT 202k,wrx 16" wheels
1992 Touring Wagon LE
td04 turbo,wrx tmic,tinted windows,sti pink struts,lowering springs,16" wheels,wrx brakes,remote start,keyless entry,alarm
BB
First Gear

Post by BB »

Hey I replaced a wheel bearing because I thought it was bearing noise in the RR. After replacing the bearing the noise was the same. Turns out I had a bunch of broken belts in the RR tire. Put on the spare to double check and noise was gone.

BB
Bruce Beveridge
Mech. Eng

'94 Impreza L- DOHC EJ22T Swapped again.
'94 SS - Swapped again, 5MT, Flipped, RIP
'94 SS - Swapped 5MT - DOHCEJ22T, VF37
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Could be that you let the axle go for so long, then the bearing seals melted. So it took the axle and the bearing along with it!!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Snow-Attack
First Gear

Post by Snow-Attack »

oh scary cause i know that tire has i big bulge in the side of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and ive done like 130mph before on those tires and there snow tires!!!!!
1994 subaru legacy
1992 Touring Wagon LE
Snow-Attack
First Gear

Post by Snow-Attack »

oh if it is the wheel bearing and axle shaft... how dangerous is it to keep driving the way it is????
1994 subaru legacy
1992 Touring Wagon LE
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

Snow-Attack wrote:hahahahahaha asshole lol :lol: how could it be the tires???? and it goes away when i turn
I'm sorry. I'm just trying to help. I won't help you anymore :cry: .
I've done work on all kinds of cars and find different problems with them. Sounds are the hardest of all problems because of reverb and echo. Hope you fix your car.
91 Subaru Legacy SS (Driving) 3"TBE, Vrg FCD, 440cc, HKS Safc, Vf10, ebay FMIC, Jecs
92 Toyota Corolla (fixing then selling)
06 ZZR600
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Snow-Attack wrote:oh if it is the wheel bearing and axle shaft... how dangerous is it to keep driving the way it is????
As long as there isn't to much play in the wheel your fine, but if it is extremely loose I suggest you replace it ASAP!! With my car I pushed 2 wheel bearings for a good 20,000 km before getting it replaced. Just sucks that I needed a whole hub assembly.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
altron23
In Neutral

Post by altron23 »

check your axle nuts, i fought that same noise on a friends car, the right front axle nut was finger tight!
-Garrett-
-subby tech-
eastside subaru

-90' legacy wagon L 2.2l 5mt swap, dumped on sti struts/springs
-88' RX-7 SE, waiting for some $ to be my track car!
Snow-Attack
First Gear

Post by Snow-Attack »

Skruyd!! its all good man iz just givin ya shit bout it lol
1994 subaru legacy
1992 Touring Wagon LE