Snow fun!!

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

smh0101
Fifth Gear

Snow fun!!

Post by smh0101 »

So... we have a tad bit of snow at my house... like, enuf to make a footprint... and its hella icy, like HELLA icy...

So this morning I took out the legacy, and took it up into the hills where there is a good 5-6 inches...

With the Summer Tires that I have it did somewhat better than expected... The thing that eventually made me turn around was how low the car was, it was grating the snow lol... so I figured I better call it quits... Time to bring out the big toy :twisted:

I brought out my truck... 94 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton ex-cab short bed... Now this was fun, because I wasnt to afraid of doing anything to it, i've taken the damn thing off-raod, which is damn fun...

I went up the same road I had earlier, but this time to where there is a gate that was semi shut, meaning there was a gate that was almost shut, but not, and not locked.

I went up it... in about 1 and a half feet of snow... I got'er stuck :D I was about to the very top of the hill and the ass started sliding and it slid into the ditch... OoOoOops..

The guy in the 07 F350 couldnt even make it up to help me get it out, so a dude who lives up there was blasting around in his Yamaha Rhino 660 drove up and was able to give enough of a pull to get the tires out of the ditch and some traction...

It was fun, even if I damn near froze my balls off in 20 degree wet snow...

I'm sooo going back out tomorrow.... This time with a camera!! lol HAHHA!

But until I adjust the suspension and get better winter tires, the subie will prolly stay in the driveway, I was sideways in a neighborhood tonight... thankfully it was the part that hasne been built but still.

:twisted: I LOVE SNOW!!! AHAHAHA
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
94legacyturboawd
First Gear

fkn snow yeahhhh

Post by 94legacyturboawd »

I got up at like 5 this morning just to get my soob ready for the storm. put air in tires, checked fluids and took it for a hellride around the city. the news said it was gonna start early (snowing) but its almost 11 am now and still nothing! its freaking eating me aliive! I bought my ss at the beginning of the summer and I havent been able to even take it on a dirt road yet! I did a few donuts in a dirt lot thats about it. Were supposed to get 6-12 inches tonight is gonna be like banging that girl ive been waiting to get for a long time. gonna feel so good
silver 94 turbo ss need lower control arm
01 maxima daily beater
95 ford contour trans blown
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

We got about 5 inches of wet glop... I threw on my Nokian Hakkas this morning after work- Those tires ROCK, the car just hooks up and goes, no matter what the conditions, or how hard you hammer it.

The bummer is trying to thread around hundreds of cabbies who've never even seen snow, let alone driven in it, and retards in Hondas with high-performance summer tires on huge rims, going nowhere.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
94legacyturboawd
First Gear

Post by 94legacyturboawd »

oh yeah just got back from about 3 hrs of sex with all of those snow covered roads it was my first time ever!
silver 94 turbo ss need lower control arm
01 maxima daily beater
95 ford contour trans blown
John Drivesabox
Second Gear

Post by John Drivesabox »

We got 12 inches yesterday. I work nights so I got to make the 13 mile commute in 9 inches of it.

God Bless America!
[quote="George McFly"] Hey you, get your damn hands off her!
[/quote]

Navy Chief, what's your specialty?
TrueBlue
First Gear

Post by TrueBlue »

Chiming in.

Last night was the first night I got to drive Roo through a proper snowstorm. Half the roads around couldn't be maintained, i.e., the plows couldn't keep up with the snowfall.

Night before, I did the same as 94legacyturboawd - checked fluids, topped off the wiper res, air pressure, tossed in the gloves and hat, filled the tank.

This car, with it's skinny little 14" "pizza-cutter" winter tires was a tank. No, scratch that. A mini urban assault vehicle. Can't get over how quick the little 2.2 heats up - I have hot air in the time it takes my big Mopar to budge the temp needle off it's stop!

And - I broke my cherry. I did my first AWD axis spin last night. Local parking lot was vacant.

This little bugger has as much personality as my fastback, and that's really saying something. I can finally see what makes a Subaru a Subaru!
1994 Legacy L AWD 5-sp • 2002 Chrysler 300M Special • 1968 Mustang Fastback C-code
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Post by Innovative Tuning »

I found a nice "course" in a parking lot. They had plowed the snow up around light poles.
Peak drift angle was just over 71 degrees staying on course. You can see it was like a figure 8 and a half.
At 130 seconds I tried to see if I could touch my bumper against the snow. I got the placement just right and the car was facing straight at the pole while sliding around it, but didn't have enough inertia to slide around and the car stopped. Aside from that it was a continuous run. You can see at the top of the top circle on the map where I stopped, backed up a couple feet and started back up.

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

What did you log that with? Thats really cool.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Racelogic DriftBox.
driftbox.com

Drift angle is in light blue on the datalog. That's the difference between the direction the car is facing and the direction the car is traveling. Of course normally those are the same thing so it's normally 0 degrees.

This would be 90 degrees. 70 is pretty ridiculous. I hit 100 once, and 89 and 92, but that was horsing around rather than following a set course.

Speed is in red in MPH on the datalog.

The scales for those are at the left.

Yaw rate is there too (in black), but I mainly look at drift angle and speed.

Most of the time I'm using it for lap analysis and other more "useful" things, but it's a heck of a great toy too.
TrueBlue
First Gear

Post by TrueBlue »

That's freakin' awesome Mike. What lot were you in?
1994 Legacy L AWD 5-sp • 2002 Chrysler 300M Special • 1968 Mustang Fastback C-code
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

TrueBlue wrote:

This car, with it's skinny little 14" "pizza-cutter" winter tires was a tank. No, scratch that. A mini urban assault vehicle. Can't get over how quick the little 2.2 heats up - I have hot air in the time it takes my big Mopar to budge the temp needle off it's stop!

And - I broke my cherry. I did my first AWD axis spin last night. Local parking lot was vacant.

This little bugger has as much personality as my fastback, and that's really saying something. I can finally see what makes a Subaru a Subaru!

Yup.. You ever see the tires the WRC cars use for snow & ice?? They look like skate blades... skinny is the way to go with snow tires, the narrowest ones that'll fit your rims.

Really makes you look at the car in a new light, doesn't it? Schlumpy little mom car turns into an unstoppable snow-beast, and gets you to the slopes before anyone else finishes shoveling the driveway. :)
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

The one Jim's Steakout on Delaware is off to the side of...across from Delta Sonic.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

We've been getting snow every two to three days up here, with moar en route for tonight. It's been absolute mayhem. AWD and decent snow tires makes almost everyone else look like chumps on the road.

I NEED a rear LSD for my winter beater.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

93forestpearl wrote:
I NEED a rear LSD for my winter beater.
YEAH! I have one sitting here supposedly for the Reddevil, but now it makes me want to put it in the Snowbeast!
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

You've got several months to find another. I say DO IT.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

OK I have a new record. Drift angle over 150 degrees. Yes it's possible. :)

Here's the path the car traveled laid over its google earth image. The DriftBox can export coordinate data which google earth recognizes, making this easy. Obviously the lot was full of snow and no cars were there. I started at left, drifted a wide arc, flipped the car around nearly backwards real aggressively to brush the snow bank at bottom of the google earth image where cars would normally be at the bottom of the lot, kept it going and snaked an S between the concrete medians on the way out hitting about 80 degrees of drift angle.

Legacy SS, catless downpipe, WRX suspension, Nokian Hakka snow tires.
supra90turbo
First Gear

Post by supra90turbo »

that driftbox is awesome. obviously so, being $799...
thanks for giving me false hopes of buying one, lol

i have some videos of my car this past weekend where we got more than 24" of snow in 48 hours, the only problem is that they're really dark.

I need someone to come take video next snowstorm. any takers?

couple of stills from saturday morning. by this time we had about 8" of snow and shoveling, plowing, or snowblowing was wasted effort. by the time you stopped, you'd have to start over because there would be 2 or 3" down already.

Image Image
94 Ti Pearl White - 191k - Tein - Rota - Dunlop - ITG
94 Mi Blue Metallic - 210k - Whiteline - Pirelli - RallyArmor - Hella - AEM
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It's not completely wasted since whatever you don't shovel becomes ice. Learned that lesson last year.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

That map output function from the driftbox is awesome.
90 L+ wgn