Cold Highway operating temp

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

courtjesterclown
First Gear

Cold Highway operating temp

Post by courtjesterclown »

the past two trips i have made with the car(94 SS 4EAT) it has been cold outside, under 25 deg. F. So i go out and start the car up and at idle it comes up to temperature (half way on the gauge) like it should and the heater blows hot air. But as soon as i hit the freeway and increased speed brings the temp gauge all the way down to the Cold mark and the heater no longer blows air. As soon as i pull over and sit at idle again after about five minutes the temperature gauge rises back up to halfway and the heater blows hot air again. I know that it cant be good for the engine driving at Cold like that, does anyone have any suggestions for what the problem could be? Any help is appreciiated. Thanks.
1994 SS 4EAT Aegean Blue Metallic
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Check the thermostat. Alot of people still replace thier thermostat with low temperature ones or leave them out altogether. Both are completely unneccisary.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Might also be your radiator hoses. Is it fine around town? If the hoses feel really squishy, they could be collapsing at speed.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

My OBS has a Koyo Rad on it & @ temps below 50* 60+MPH Highway cruise speed cause coolant temps to drop to about 140*.

I plan on making a cardboard plate to block off part of the radiator behind the grille / painted black - stealth trucker style.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

If you make the blank off plate for the grille(s) itself, you'll reduce cooling while improving aero efficiency.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

It will be your thermostat. Their job is to get the motor up to heat and to keep it there. It is a cheap part and fairly easy to change. It's a good idea to change it every two years or so when you are changing the anti-freeze.