Looking for advise on 1991 performence parts for wagon

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
Muiretta
First Gear

Looking for advise on 1991 performence parts for wagon

Post by Muiretta »

Iwould like to find out if anyone can give a new to the Subaru world
guy advise on finding aftermarket parts for this year of vehicle. I love
the car and wish to inhance the supsenion a bit. Whats the best option
wheel sizes. so forth. Also, I am interested in eventually locating a
Sport sedan I am located in NorCal. Thanks Marco
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Welcome to LegacyCentral, Muiretta! :D

The '02-'04 16" wrx wheels offer a noticeable imrovement in handling. They are the easiest ones to find used. Tire size will be 205/55 16 or 205/50 16. With tires, many times they sell used for $200-$300 for the complete set.

KYB's GR-2 struts work well. You can find them on sale new on ebay for about $250-$270.

The GR-2s will raise the front end of the car so some owners choose to install lowering springs on all four corners, such as by Whiteline, H&R, etc. New, they cost about $350-$400 but if you don't mind used, they will be more affordable.

If you want improved braking, used front '02-'05 wrx brakes are a relatively inexpensive way to go. $150-$250 for rotors, calipers, brackets, and pads. Brake fluid, stainless steel brake lines are extra cost. You will have to use the 16" wheels to fit over the wrx brakes.

Thicker front and rear sway bars will improve handling. For your NA Legacy, the second generation Legacies had a thicker front sway bar that will fit and turbo Legacies have a thicker rear bar. Probably $20-$80 used each. Or, Whiteline makes them in different thicknesses but they will run $275 or more each.

From time to time you can find these parts for sale here on LegacyCentral, your local Craigslist, NASIOC, and other Subaru forums, ebay, etc. For new Whiteline products, you can check ebay, PDM Racing and other places.

This list is by no means exhaustive. But it will get you started. To find out more about upgrades and where to find them, you can use the SEARCH feature to call up threads and posts by Legacy Central members.

If you're serious about getting a sport sedan and your '91 wagon doesn't really need the upgraded parts right now, it may be worth your while to get the ss first and start upgrading it rather than spending your funds on the wagon. The greater torque and hp of the turbo engine makes driving a Legacy much more enjoyable! You may end up like many of us who keep upgrading because it makes driving much more pleasurable. That means it will cost you more money so rather than spending that on your wagon, you may want to put it into the ss.

Have fun modding your car(s)!
'94 TW
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I agree with your statement about wanting to spend more money on the turbo. At this point I am just focusing on my SS now that I have the power I wanted, wagon drives the way it is.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

hey welcome aboard. ok so here it is, I almost say sorry but you may want to listen to them when they say wait. if you already know about the SS which i didnt when i got in to Subarus with my N/A leg then you should just use the car you have know and save up. the SS seem to always be floating around some where.

BUT if you are like me and you caint wait and you are stuburn and dont listen half the time to advise that you asked for and end up buying a part and spending hours taking your car apart to only find out it didnt fit then do it.

Mods:
Front and rear sway bars(whiteline) check a local subaru dealer for these you will get them cheaper.
Front and rear strut bars(ebay) greta improvement
KYB struts all around
Steal brake lines all around
throttle boday spacer from (4zero1 motorsports)
intake that i designed
and some other things to come

here is everything i have done to my car http://picasaweb.google.com/silinc3r

Good luck with decision. bought my car for 200 and have put in 2000+ maybe a little more
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost