what kind of mess will I get into ..........cam seals ej22t

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

timbo
In Neutral

what kind of mess will I get into ..........cam seals ej22t

Post by timbo »

I've lurked and gleaned tonnes from this site now I have a question:

I need to change the rear cam seals on my 1991 ej22t. When I unbolt the 4 bolt 'cover' behind the turbo can I expect to get showered with coolant and motor-oil or will it be just a simple minor issue?

thnks, timmay
green91
First Gear

Post by green91 »

To get to the cam seals you shouldn't have any involvement with coolant unless you remove the radiator. You can do them without taking the rad out but its a pain. The only time you should see any oil is when you actually remove the seals, and even then the amount that will leak out is minimal. Grab a can of brake cleaner to help clean up after you put the new seals in!
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Wait, REAR cam seals?
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Imprezive wrote:Wait, REAR cam seals?
His motor is mounted backwards, in a VW van. Front seals are now the rears..

There aren't any true oils seals on the other side, just o-rings, as far as I know...

Just be very careful taking the old ones out, that you don't scratch the metal of the cam or the seal seat, that will result in leaks.
Tap the new ones in until the seal is flush w/ the lip. A large socket works nicely as a seating tool... 22 or 24mm, I think.
You may get some coolant loss, just pinch the hose from the fill tank before you remove the hose from the head.

Have any pictures of your setup? I'd like to see how you did the turbo and exhaust.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
timbo
In Neutral

Post by timbo »

thanks for the info!
I'm not too worried about doing the job I just wanted to avoid coolant loss. The cooling system is a biatch to bleed air out of it when running a Subie engine in a VW.The rad is in the front of the van so there is miles of coolant hoses to trap air.
Didn't even think about just pinching off the hose. I have some Quik Grips that will do that perfectly.
I plan to do the timing belt,tensioners, and cam seals next week.

Yes , the engine is reversed when in a VW. The timing belt etc. is at the back of the engine bay.So I guess I should say the rear cam seals (o-rings) on the flywheel end (except I'm auto. so flexplate)

The turbo is in the stock location. I had to fab a DP to bend towards the back of the van and run it under/beside the left cyl. head. I have a few pix,not the best, but I'll try some better ones and post 'em up.
cheers!

t