Removing rear badges

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Removing rear badges

Post by PhyrraM »

So I took the boys on another camping trip. This time I had the bright idea to bring thier bikes along. Well, as the title of this post eludes to, I scratched the hell out of the rear light panel.

If you've been following my build in the pictures forum, you might have already known I would have a replacement.

So, what have you all had success with in removing the badges cleanly? I'm thinking a hair dryer or heat gun to partially melt the glue?
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

a blow dryer and time work well.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Or you could leave the L badge on and make it a sleeper.

Then sell me the turbo badge.
But otherwise, a heatgun will soften the adhesive enough to remove it w/ a little prying pressure.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Is it just the scratch? Because you could probably wetsand that and polish it with plastic polish and no one would ever notice
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

True, but replacing the emblem should be even easier. Bodywork is one of those things I just don't have a knack or patience for.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Here, I'll lend you a helping hand. Just ship the rear garnish to me and I'll take care of it for you. I just need the one with the Turbo AWD badge though, no need to send the L one....
Hahahaha.

But on a serious note, I'd head it up a bit and then try to peel up one of the ends. Then maybe try to spray some GooGone under it?
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Heat is not required, and should be avoided if possible. Use dental floss or light fishing line. Slip the string behind the badge. Use it to "saw" through the adhesive without bending the badge. Go slow, be careful, hold the ends of the string very close to the surface.

Once you have it off, use Goo Gone (NOT Goof Off!!) to remove leftover adhesive from both sides. Reinstall using 3M foam double sided auto trim tape. Cut to fit, place carefully.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
jbracefan1977
In Neutral

Post by jbracefan1977 »

ultrasonic wrote:Heat is not required, and should be avoided if possible. Use dental floss or light fishing line. Slip the string behind the badge. Use it to "saw" through the adhesive without bending the badge. Go slow, be careful, hold the ends of the string very close to the surface.

Once you have it off, use Goo Gone (NOT Goof Off!!) to remove leftover adhesive from both sides. Reinstall using 3M foam double sided auto trim tape. Cut to fit, place carefully.
slow and steady is pretty much the key.. good luck :D
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

ultrasonic wrote:Heat is not required, and should be avoided if possible. Use dental floss or light fishing line. Slip the string behind the badge. Use it to "saw" through the adhesive without bending the badge. Go slow, be careful, hold the ends of the string very close to the surface.

I like this solution more also.
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]