Got the Legacy back from the tuner...

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Got the Legacy back from the tuner...

Post by Legacy777 »

After more than a year since I bought the Link it's finally in the car and "tuned". I picked it up today. There's some idle issues and other things I will take care of on my own. The HP/Torque numbers are a little misleading, due to the dyno being "acurate".

I made around 205 hp & 218 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels.

To give a better idea of those actual numbers. A stock WRX with 2.5 liter makes around 190-200 hp, and a stock STi makes around 220 hp. So I'm happy with the results for the most part.

As Dan has mentioned, go with as big of injectors as you can. I'm at the limit of the injectors, and probably near the limit of the turbo.

I will try and get the plots scanned tomorrow. Like I said, there's still some tweaking that needs to be done, so it's not quite done done....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

nice numbers.... whats ur mods?
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Good deal. Glad you are happy with the power results.

So this was on bone stock 22T heads, right? If so not bad at all. What's the power band look like? And yeah, the BSFC with the 22T heads is terrible. They take A LOT of fuel to make power.

The off-boost stuff should be easy, just a little time consuming. A codriver makes things go waaay faster.

Use that Zeitronix to it's full extent!!
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

mv420xx wrote:nice numbers.... whats ur mods?
I need to put together a full list, but the basic power list is:

rebuilt ej22t (stock)
550 cc/min injectors
Deadbolt p&p TD05-16G
AWIC with custom pump & exchanger
MSD Dis 2 ignition
Link ECU
CES 3" TBE w/ high flow cat

I think that's the major stuff...
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93forestpearl wrote:Good deal. Glad you are happy with the power results.

So this was on bone stock 22T heads, right? If so not bad at all. What's the power band look like? And yeah, the BSFC with the 22T heads is terrible. They take A LOT of fuel to make power.

The off-boost stuff should be easy, just a little time consuming. A codriver makes things go waaay faster.

Use that Zeitronix to it's full extent!!
Yeah, bone stock 22t heads to my knowledge. I had CCR in Colorado rebuild the heads. They may have altered the original grind of the valves slightly, but nothing notable done to them.

Here they are
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... s/ej22t/09

I'll get the plots scanned and posted.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Here are the dyno sheets

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... _dyno1.jpg
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... _dyno2.jpg
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... _dyno3.jpg

Interestingly enough, this tuner had a dyno day back in 2005. These are the numbers I ran on a vf11 and no intercooler.

Couldn't tell you though if the dynos were calibrated/reading the same though. I kind of would have expected more than a 50 hp gain from a TD05, AWIC, 550 injectors, & stand alone ecu....

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... gdyno1.jpg
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... gdyno2.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

?

50hp seems like a very reasonable amount to me. You increased your horsepower 33%. Regardless of how new your engine is, you're making stock STi hp out of a 20-year-old car. That's something to be proud of.

Also, would you rather make 50 more hp reliably, or 100 more hp and risk blowing your motor?

Edit: Dynamic Entry's math skills > my math skills. And to think I want to be an engineer!
Last edited by entirelyturbo on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Understand. I think my expectations may have been a little skewed.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

I would have felt the same way Josh.

I got the impression that a TD05 and it's support mods was a bit more radical than 50hp

although, that is actually a 33% increase

I suppose the real eye opener for me is that STis only actually put down 220..... that had escaped me somehow
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

When you think about it, that turbo is the stock turbo on the early WRX STi's in Japan, and they were putting down right around the same HP.

My friend's EJ20G swap from a WRX Type RA STi had a TD05 that was pushing around 15PSI stock and when he dyno'd it, it put down 200WHP and something like 210WTQ. His car was damn quick too with the shorter RA gears. Easily pulled on USDM STi's.

Anyways, my point is that your car actually has a good deal of power relatively speaking. I'd be pretty happy! How much boost are you running right now? Any chance a front mount and some larger injectors could help you up the boost if needed?
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Dynamic Entry wrote:I suppose the real eye opener for me is that STis only actually put down 220..... that had escaped me somehow
That's really going to depend on the dyno & how it's calibrated. On this dyno, that's what they say the STi's put down.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

asc_up wrote:Anyways, my point is that your car actually has a good deal of power relatively speaking. I'd be pretty happy! How much boost are you running right now? Any chance a front mount and some larger injectors could help you up the boost if needed?
Power wise, I think I'll be happy. It's like anything, it's fine for a while then you want more :) My main concern now is the drivability of the car. It's not where I want it to be, and I will be working on correcting that.

Boost, I think they said it was running around 17 psi. The third dyno sheet confirms that.

Larger injectors would definitely help. That's pretty much what I was running out of. Turbo probably was near it's top end as well, but I'd have to look at turbo map to be sure of that.

I don't think a front mount would make that much if any difference. My AWIC setup is very robust, and should do pretty good.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Re: Got the Legacy back from the tuner...

Post by BSOD2600 »

Legacy777 wrote:As Dan has mentioned, go with as big of injectors as you can. I'm at the limit of the injectors, and probably near the limit of the turbo.
How does one know the injectors are the limiting factor? Running 80+% duty cycle constantly? Lean (12.5+) AFR? other?

While your setup is slightly different than mine (tmic, 440cc, 15 PSI, etc), the ECU data logging I did makes me believe there is a decent amount of headroom for growth -- unless that ~2 PSI really makes a large difference in the upper end.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Legacy777 wrote: Power wise, I think I'll be happy. It's like anything, it's fine for a while then you want more :) My main concern now is the drivability of the car. It's not where I want it to be, and I will be working on correcting that.

Boost, I think they said it was running around 17 psi. The third dyno sheet confirms that.

Larger injectors would definitely help. That's pretty much what I was running out of. Turbo probably was near it's top end as well, but I'd have to look at turbo map to be sure of that.

I don't think a front mount would make that much if any difference. My AWIC setup is very robust, and should do pretty good.
Haha I can totally understand that.

For what it's worth, my friend ended up going to a FMIC because it offered better cooling, therefore allowing him to run the turbo outside of its efficiency range. He ended up running around 22PSI with SARD 800cc injectors and the FMIC....safely.
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Josh,
When you dyno'd the VF11, it looks like stock boost, correct?
If so, since it's rated @ 160 Chp, 153 Whp seems a bit high.

Somewhere on here(?) I've seen 120-130ish HP is stock @ the wheels.

THISestimator states the same.

My point is that the Dyno may have been high in '05, so you're actually seeing a better improvement than it appears.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

wtdash wrote:When you dyno'd the VF11, it looks like stock boost, correct?

My stock dyno run (ok, everything stock except for MBC and ~10 PSI) was 136 HP

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

BSOD2600 wrote:How does one know the injectors are the limiting factor? Running 80+% duty cycle constantly? Lean (12.5+) AFR? other?

While your setup is slightly different than mine (tmic, 440cc, 15 PSI, etc), the ECU data logging I did makes me believe there is a decent amount of headroom for growth -- unless that ~2 PSI really makes a large difference in the upper end.

I was creeping up to almost 90% IDC at a base fuel pressure of 60psi, so I'd say I was at my injectors' limits, lol. Granted my turbo is significantly larger than Josh's, but it is frustrating when they are keeping you from exploiting your setup fully. Josh has all the same logging capabilitys I do.

Larger turbos often get more efficient as you raise the boost. On mine, the difference between 15 and 19 psi was not even close to the difference between 19 and 23 psi. This is often the case up to a certain point where you start to fall off the compressor map.

The day after you upsize your injectors, be wary of women in new Camrys. ;-)
→Dan

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

93forestpearl wrote:The day after you upsize your injectors, be wary of women in new Camrys. ;-)
Lol sad day :(
-Aaron

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

BSOD2600 wrote:
Legacy777 wrote:As Dan has mentioned, go with as big of injectors as you can. I'm at the limit of the injectors, and probably near the limit of the turbo.
How does one know the injectors are the limiting factor? Running 80+% duty cycle constantly? Lean (12.5+) AFR? other?

I was told by the tuner my injectors were at about 85% IDC. Sure I could bump the fuel pressure with a RRFPR or take the injectors past 85% IDC....but I probably would not have much control over things past there. That's why I made that statement.

When I start reviewing things in the ECU and do some logging, I'll be able to confirm or deny their claim about 85% IDC.

Boost really isn't the important number. It's mass air flow through the engine. Just because a vf11 can make 17 lbs of boost does not mean it will flow the same amount of air as a TD05-16G, etc.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

wtdash wrote:Josh,
When you dyno'd the VF11, it looks like stock boost, correct?

THISestimator states the same.

My point is that the Dyno may have been high in '05, so you're actually seeing a better improvement than it appears.
Stock boost yes, but I also had LW flywheel, CES exhaust, and the MSD ignition. I don't know if those items would cause that much of an increase over stock..... Plus the run in 05 was during the winter time....so much cooler temps. I still question whether the dyno was calibrated the same....which is why I brought that point up.......who knows.

Dyno numbers are all relative for the most part. They're a good tool for measuring before and after changes within a day or so time difference (assuming weather conditions are same/similar)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

email replied.....
→Dan

douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

550's should make close to 280-300whp @ 100% duty cycle, thats what mine did.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

^ On 22T heads?
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Been doing a little reading and some light bulbs are going off. So I feel like I have a better grasp on things now.

Additionally, I am probably going to upgrade to the G4 ECU due to a known issue I have with the aux output on the ISC. The G2 & G3 ECU's can be upgraded to the G4 platform for a minimal cost. So I think I'm going to go that route, and then retune everything with hopefully the correct parameters inputted into the ECU.

Oh, here's the intake that the shop fabricated. They did a pretty good job with the intake. It's not the easiest to remove, but oh well. The BPV is definitely quite a bit louder without the silencer box on there.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... install/13
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

Dont mean to hyjack a thread but how much does the link G4 cost??
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon