Posting from an iPhone, damn this thing is cool!

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

biggreen96
Third Gear

Posting from an iPhone, damn this thing is cool!

Post by biggreen96 »

This thing is sweet! I broke my iPod somehow then I smashed the screen on my cheapie phone crawling under my car changing my exhaust so I decided to kill 2 birds and get the iPhone. So f'n handy to be able to access the net from anywhere, play pandora radio in my car, takes awesome (for a phone) photos and vids. I dl'd a app that's supposed to act as a dyno using the accelerometer in the phone but haven't used it yet. It has almost replaced my laptop.
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

I got my 3gs the day it came out and I don't think I could live without it. I love my iPhone, it's got to be one of the best creations.
93 legacy l
to much to list....
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I was worried about joining the apple cult when I finally got an iPod and I was worried again thinking about getting this. I don't like being flashy but it's not so flashy now that everybody has one. They told me at the store they average 10 per day. Cult be damned the utility of this thing is amazing.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Did you buy it outright or with a plan? How much was it and was it the new 3Gs? I want that thing bad. My LG Vu phone sucks balls. I hate that touch screen with a passion. I have the iPod Touch which is awesome but for some gay reason it won't charge when connected to my Alpine 9886 head unit. Stupid because my old ass iPod mini charges on it so WTF!?

Anyways I want the new iphone pretty bad but I'm holding off for as long as I can because I'll have to buy it outright and they're damn spendy.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I got it in the plan because it was 2 years since I last had a new phone an was eligible for the upgrade. None of my 3 iPod car chargers would charge the phone so I had to get a new charger for it too. It's the 3gs 16g and was 200. And since I'm still somehow
managed to stay on the family plan even after having moved out of the parents house 7 years ago lol I will just toss the parents the 25 more dollars the data plan costs above my previous usage.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I was going to go the iphone route but decided to get a nokia 5800. I am more of a nokia guy. Only app I wanted was that dyno app, but it is not very accurate anyway.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

I got my iphone a few months ago...now I wish I had a Mac instead of this lame HP laptop...
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
LostinMaine
In Neutral

Post by LostinMaine »

had mines since the fall and cant go anywhere without it and my netbook, waiting on picture messages and tethering then ill be happy as a clam.
Co Founder of MaineSubies.com

91 SS, in need of some major TLC (work in progress)

Im lost in Maine, but ill find my way out eventually
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

kimokalihi wrote:Did you buy it outright or with a plan? How much was it and was it the new 3Gs? I want that thing bad. My LG Vu phone sucks balls. I hate that touch screen with a passion. I have the iPod Touch which is awesome but for some gay reason it won't charge when connected to my Alpine 9886 head unit. Stupid because my old ass iPod mini charges on it so WTF!?

Anyways I want the new iphone pretty bad but I'm holding off for as long as I can because I'll have to buy it outright and they're damn spendy.
My 9885 charges my ipod touch perfectly... is it connected right?
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh yeah it's connected perfectly. The ipod says there's some sort of error and that device won't charge it. Lame. It goes dead in a few days.

Might be the ipod I dunno. A while back I had it jailbroken and it crashed on me and now it won't let me jailbreak it again. Everytime I jailbreak it, it gets finished fine and then turns off permanently. Won't turn back on, makes you restore it. So I left it with the regular firmware but ever since that crash it doesn't detect right on my pc. When I plug it in it says an iphone has been detected but there's been an error with it and it's not working properly. But it's not an iphone...

WTF I dunno.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Huh, weird. That sounds like more of an iPod problem.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I figured it was because the iPod touch was released after the 9886. It's a whole different animal than a regular ipod and as far as I could tell alpine has not released a firmware update for the 9886.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't like ipods.....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Meh, I have a Blackberry Storm.

As a response to whoever was talking about tethering, your carrier will not do that for awhile because the existing structure of AT&T (and your carrier) needs to be upgraded bad... Like really really bad. on the east coast, users with iPhones constantly drop calls and never receive data because the demand for bandwidth and service exceeds supply. The best part is these are people that are sjelling out $2k/Year for this service. :lol:

We will see this becoming more common with the proliferation of data intensive devices and applications to the average person over the next few years.
Last edited by SubaruNation on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

A co-worker once defined it as---- The Blackberry is the tool, The iPhone is the toy.

Not really needing such a device, I prefer the toy.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Yep, i like that description.

I need it for my career.
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah I have a blackberry tour. Had the 8830 world phone previously, and the tour is definitely a step up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Kimo, is the ipod's connector are clear? I got the smallest amount of pocket lint in mine and it started doing annoying things.

Yeah, AT&T has a LOT of catching up to do for the data load. I don't know if they didn't anticipate the demand, their site hardware didn't perform to expectations, or they just pounced in the opportunity for the iphone and screw the customers until they could catch up. When the FCC goes in and shuts down these exclusive deals, the service might get better when a bunch of customers switch to the cheaper T-Mobil (hey, lousy service should at least be cheap) and watch AT&T's customer gains drop off. Verizon's probably best positioned (at least on the East Coast), but they're CDMA, so it's not as simple to get the iphone on it as with T-Mobil.

If they go to Verizon, I'll still keep my LG one-step-above-base-model-Fisher Price-looking-cellphone as it can take being dropped in the pool, falling off the garage roof, and 20 feet to concrete, smacking several steel ladder rungs on the way. I've had 3 ipods in 4 years (the last one has been going for a couple years. Probably because I went with the 3-year warranty this time). My iBook G4 is on it's 4th year and has hardware issues. I bought it with the plan of 5 year life cycles. What the hell do I pay more for when the PMU had a cold solder joint that I had to fix (and should NEVER have made it through QC—I used to do process engineering for a US PC card mfg., and that wouldn't have made it past initial inspection, never mind out the door), the LCD shows all kinds of weird green flashing due to pinched cables (bad case design. Mostly fixed with an X-acto and I defy anyone to find the case mod, which leads me to wonder why the F Apple didn't do it that way to begin with, though this issue still pops up on occasion). It's the same Chinese-made shit everyone else makes, just with 2-3 times the cost. The software stability (except for suck-ass Safari) and never having to deal with driver bullshit or viruses will get me to buy another one, but for the price, I expect better hardware quality. I mean, really, it's not like the performance is better, so the extra cost should go to something besides douche bag Steve Jobs' pockets (which aren't nearly as generous as Bill Gates').
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Legacy777 wrote:Yeah I have a blackberry tour. Had the 8830 world phone previously, and the tour is definitely a step up.
Ya i was checking one out a couple of weeks ago, much much nicer than the curve/world.

Steve all your posts are awesome.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Kimo - I know that whenever I plug my iPhone into my Alpine deck it works, but also shows a message saying that the deck is connected to the phone, but it cannot charge it.

Anyways, it's too bad that GM has already used this slogan, because it would be great for the iPhone: "It's not more than you need, it's just more than you're used to."
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Exactly. Stupid iPod. I don't think there's anything in the connector slot. I think it's just stupid and not compatible with charging for some dumbass reason. The mini charges for christ' sake! I got that mini back in probably 2002 or something. Maybe 2003. It died on me right before the 1year warranty was up by apple took care of me and shipped me a new one and a prepaid box to ship the old one back. So that was cool and this replacement has worked great ever since. Except in freezing conditions it sometimes fails, but once the heater has been on for a while and it warms up a bit it'll start working but I'm talking below 30 or below. Only happened a couple times on the mountain on a snowboarding trip.

I think I'm going to call apple or alpine and get the low down on why this isn't working. It bothers me that I spent 200 on this ipod and 300 on the deck that is supposed to support it and it doesn't.

On the blackberry topic, I have used 2 blackberries. I think a curve and a pearl. I hated them both. The keys are atrocious! I'm not sure if that's the correct word to use or not lol but I hate the keys. I don't like the stupid wheel that you navigate with. It all feels so cheap and poorly built. The ipod touch is great. The screen is extremely accurate and perfectly sensitive. It doesn't scratch. I would prefer a decent keyboard with real buttons but it does alright.

I definately prefer the wide range and number of apps that the ipod/iphone has. They're great and they keep coming out with more. There's so many companies making apps it's endless!
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

FWIW, my JVC deck with iPod adapter charges my 160GB Classis, but didn't charge, or interface, with my 1G 32GB Touch.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Well, guess what. I just updated my ipod because stupid itunes said, "Hey we have a new firmware update for you." I had just put some new songs on it and was really stoked to listen to them on my way to work last night. I get in my car, plug the ipod into my 9886 and the display on the deck reads, "NO SONGS". WTF!?

I unplugged it and clicked music and there's all my songs and I pressed play and they play out of the speaker just fine so I plugged it back in and "NO SONGS". What a pain in the ass. As if it wasn't bad enough I had to take the damn thing out every night and charge it on my pc, now it won't even play. Son of a bitch.

This is Bullshit. I'm gonna go rant to apple and alpine.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Check this out.
Email support is available for iTunes Store and Apple Photo Services only.
Great, that means I have to waste my time on the phone forever just to tell them about this problem and they're not going to have a solution for it. I can just about guarrantee that.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The hits keep on rolling.
Phone
Mac, iPhone, and iPod customers within 90 days of ownership are eligible for complimentary phone support — one support incident per iPod and unlimited incidents per Mac and iPhone.
This iPod is a lot older than 90 days. Therefore I'm now going to be charged for calling tech support!? Are you kidding me, Steve!?

:evil: