EJ22T?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

56 baja
In Neutral

EJ22T?

Post by 56 baja »

My question is, by the engine serial number can I tell what engine I have? There are numbers at the front and rear of the block. EJ22 then next to that at the case halves is 21212 at the rear of the engine at the mating surface to the transmission is 502214502569. What I was wanting to know is the year and if the engine is indeed a factory turbo'd 2.2. It does have the oil cooler above the oil filter and the three ports on the back of the left side of the head for oil return, oil feed and water feed. The engine doesn't have the exhaust system included with it. I am currently building an off road car and any information of the engine will be a big help.

Thanks in advance.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Sounds like a 1991 EJ22T because of the oil cooler. The heads are definitely turbo units from what you described as well. The block should also have some "cross-hatching" cast onto the outer surface.

You will find out everything else you might possibly want to know about your motor with a little searching around these forums. :-) Welcome to the BBS!
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

If you take the heads off it will be obvious due to the closed deck.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

The closed deck motors have a cross-hatch pattern on various places on the motor. There is some on the back, spots of the top, right above the oil filter, etc.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
56 baja
In Neutral

Post by 56 baja »

Thanks for the help, the engine has the cross hatch like you all discribed. Also, I read (not here) that 2 years of the motors had distributors and 2 years had crank triggers. The reason I ask is that I want to get the correct shop manual. The motor I have has the crank trigger.

Thanks again you all have been very helpful.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

^^^ Now that's a simple one...ALL EJ series motors use crank triggers, NONE use distributors.

Again, I'm willing to bet you have a 1991 motor as that was the only year to have the oil cooler IIRC.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
56 baja
In Neutral

Post by 56 baja »

Outstanding thanks again.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

SLODRIVE wrote:^^^ Now that's a simple one...ALL EJ series motors use crank triggers, NONE use distributors.

Not necessarily. There were some EJ series motors overseas that had carburaters & distributors.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm