Just a friendly reminder....

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Just a friendly reminder....

Post by asc_up »

...to change your O2 sensor. It should be done about every two years and damn does it make a difference when you do!

Just did mine today. I forgot what an extremely stable idle and no reduced timing during warm-up is like. Plus, the extra 2 MPG really helps :wink:
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I disagree.

Our cars barely even read our O2 sensors. In fact, if you just unplug your sensor and go driving, it will probably take about 5-6 minutes before your CEL even comes on.

I've never changed mine, so it's at least 9 years and 90k miles old, if not older, and I STILL get 26-27mpg.

What little MPG you may gain won't be near enough to recoup the cost of all those sensors.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Hmmm well I paid $40 for a Bosch universal O2 sensor and wired it in. Immediately after installing it,I noticed that I no longer have any idling issues (it used to hunt for the correct idle RPM), it doesn't pull timing when I'm driving and the engine is still a little cold and I'm getting an extra 2 MPG.

So while you may not have noticed anything, I certainly did. It may be due to the fact that I'm using the Revtronix chip, so maybe they've designed their chip to read the O2 sensor more often.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Well you should change it, maybe you won't recoup the money in fuel, but you will with how long the engine lasts, because it runs better with the sensor. Most cars will run fine without it, but it's always better with it. 2 years seems like far too often though, they don't go bad that fast unless you have other problems.
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

Plus a properly functioning O2 sensor will extend the life of your catalytic converter. rich running engines cause the cat to be get hotter and wear out faster. Probably more important than an O2 sensor though is to have a sealed exhaust system, especially before the sensor since a simple air leak can wreak more havoc than an old sensor.
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
Formerly of the USMB but moved from an RX to a Legacy
joeWM
Second Gear

Post by joeWM »

suba wrote:Plus a properly functioning O2 sensor will extend the life of your catalytic converter.r.
haha who has cats these days?
[quote="kimokalihi"]Jesus, that's a grocery list of problems.[/quote]
92 Legacy SS 5MT....sold :(
02 Aspen white WRX Stage 2, 20%tint
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

I still have my main one :) 02's should easily go 100K :)
1992 Legacy LS Special Wagon..
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

how can I tell if my 02 is acually bad? my idle is perfect, perfromance is good, mpg is also good.

what should I be lookin for?
93 legacy l
to much to list....
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

speedmaxx wrote:how can I tell if my 02 is acually bad? my idle is perfect, perfromance is good, mpg is also good.

Error code 32 or if the car jerks when accelerating from the lower rev range.
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

HappyFrog wrote:
speedmaxx wrote:how can I tell if my 02 is acually bad? my idle is perfect, perfromance is good, mpg is also good.

Error code 32 or if the car jerks when accelerating from the lower rev range.
Oh that's me, the jerking I mean, I should check my records and see if it's been changed. I need to find my tiny vacuum leak first though...
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Another good way would be connecting up a select monitor or other monitoring tool (b10scan, evoscan, revscan, etc) and data log the O2 sensor as you drive, how fast it reacts, etc.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.