Weird noise from front axle area

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Weird noise from front axle area

Post by Apex3 »

I wanna say it's a CV, but it doesn't sound like that, it doesn't click at all like the CV on my e30 did when it went out. The best way I can describe it is sort of like when you grab a sheet of metal and shake it back and forth to make the wobbly sound, but it's kind of a feint sound. It's gradually been getting worse. I think it sounds and feels like a bent or out of balance rim, but I know that isn't it, as I've had three sets of tires, and it's getting worse.

I tried putting grease in the CV boots, since one of them seems to be leaking, but it did nothing. I've deduced it is not the outer CV anyway though, the sound is more coming from the middle of the car under the engine. Any ideas? Feel free to ask dumb questions about things I may have overlooked too.

It does do it more when there is load on it, ie turning or going up/down hills, but it does still do it going straight almost as bad. Maybe inner CV?
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

the inner cv doesnt get twisted near as much as the outter when turning so if its making noise it wont make a difference whether turning or going straight and the clicking sound is usually the outter cv. inners have more of a tendency to bind which will make a noise similar to what you are describing.

pull it out and see how it feels?

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Hmm, thanks I'll check it out. How do you tell though? Does it have a boot the same way the outer does? And is it common for the boot to rip or is it usually the whole piece that goes bad?
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

there is a boot like the outter but they dont usually tear since theres less movement in that area but it is possible.
to be 100% sure you'd have to pull it out and get a new one and compare how it feels to move around both joints, usually when they are binding it will be obvious you starl twisting it around and it will require effort. it shouldnt require any real effort to move any cv joint around and they should be quiet, tight(no play), and feel smooth not gritty.

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

easy now, no need to pull anything yet. check the inner plunge joint on the axle. grab the middle, and grab the inner part closest to the diff. you should have a little in and out play but zero up and down play at the inner joint on the axle.
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

RJ93SS wrote:easy now, no need to pull anything yet. check the inner plunge joint on the axle. grab the middle, and grab the inner part closest to the diff. you should have a little in and out play but zero up and down play at the inner joint on the axle.
Thanks guys! I'll check it out this weekend.
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

true there are a few things you can do to check them on the car and by all means do them!
but because of the drag caused by the brakes and differentials, transmission etc. binding is very hard to feel without the cv joint out of the car and in the freeee. and i see inner cv's bind on an almost monthly basis.

just something to think about...
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

Suigintou
In Neutral

Post by Suigintou »

My transmission is also making that same exact noise. Me and dad we're just out side trying to track down the sound. I'm deaf in one ear though and he's got tinitis so we couldn't figure out where the sound was comin from at all even though we had the front end on stands and idling the car.

The only thing I did notice was that putting the car in reverse made significantly less sound.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Will newer CVswork ? Like if I could find one off an 06 or something? I was thinking about going to the junkyard this weekend and it doesn't seem like a fairly new Legacy would have too much wear on the CV yet.

Suigintou, if it's your transmission it's not the same problem, I don't know what that would be. And if it changed when you put it in reverse then it's somehow related to your tranny, I'm not sure why it would make the noise while idling though...
Suigintou
In Neutral

Post by Suigintou »

Ohh, no it didn't make the sound while idling. We were giving it gas while it was in the air in order to hear it. We took it to a real mechanic and he told us it was the drive side CV joint and wheel bearing. I'm really bad at describing sounds; it just a loud rasping/grinding sound that only happens when you press the accelerator.

Anyway, I don't have the money to replace that stuff yet. Hopefully this weekend Paypal will finally release my money so I can get the parts I need.