stalling at start-up no CEL

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

magicmike
Fifth Gear

stalling at start-up no CEL

Post by magicmike »

It was raining for a few days and I hadn't used the car for a few days. When I went to start it the other day it started and promptly stalled. I was like "hum". Started it back up and it ran. Gave it some throttle and it reved fine and idled fine. When I started driving it was running retarded. I could feel no power then power holding the gas pedal in the same place. I went down the street and opened it up and it seemed fine from there.

The same thing happened today. Stall at startup then hesitation, then fine after 1 minute or so.

I went and bought 4 new plug and some oil to change it. I plan to clean out the k&n too.

Many of you know this whole motor is practically brand new. I've replaced litterally every sensor save the cam and crank angle ones.

I've been reading up on here about cleaning out the EGR valve. This is the one thing I NEVER cleaned when I rebuilt the engine so its got to have 160k miles on it. It is an absolute mofo to get to so I have been avoiding it.

The other thing is that I can see the RPM pretty accurately with the apexi and it idles at like 640 in gear and around 700 in neutral. I know its supposed to be around 800 ish. What do you think about that?

you're thoughts?
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Mike, refresh my memory....is this on your 94 touring wagon?

Does it run ok after it's warmed up? If so, it may be the coolant temp sensor.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Yes the suby. I was thinking knock or temp but i've replaced both sensors already and can't imagine them failing within a few thousand miles. I'm going to dig into the iac as soon as I get my garage clean so I can fit the car in there again.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

Well if you can log data then it should be simple to tell if it's a sensor or a sticky IAC.

At idle the IAC duty cycle should be around 45, if it is moving up higher without the revs going up then the valve is sticking probably. If the D.C is low, like 35 say, then there is some sensor telling the valve to keep the revs low. If the D.C goes up and up and then the revs go up quite a bit, then the D.C. drops and drops a couple of steps before the revs suddenly drop quite a bit then deffinatly sticky valve.