WTB: edm glass headlights

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
jdmleggy97
First Gear

WTB: edm glass headlights

Post by jdmleggy97 »

Like my other posting says "just like the title says" looking for a set of glass headlights any body willing to part with theres let me know. thanks
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

dibs on the second set.
Dave

Post by fishbone79 »

I'm making a trip to Japan in December into January... If someone does the sourcing, I would be willing to do the legwork and importing. I will have a little time.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Ooh, I want some too! How much do they run over there?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

When I was there a year and half ago they could be had for ~$100-$150/pair, but were tough to find. I'm a jackass for not buying the set I had in my hand at the time, but I was on a pretty tight budget.

I tried finding that place again on the net, but it's not easy. I'll try and convince my wife to do some searching - but if anyone knows a sure source over there, I would gladly do the legwork. I do have a contact there who does import/export of musical instruments and might know some people in automotive export, but thats obviously a long shot.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

fishbone79 wrote:I'm making a trip to Japan in December into January... If someone does the sourcing, I would be willing to do the legwork and importing. I will have a little time.
If you don't have a car and/or don't speak fluent or nearly fluent Japanese, good luck.

I was gonna go to a junkyard while I was there, I asked around and everyone said it's virtually impossible to get there if you don't have a car or don't speak Japanese, I suppose a taxi may work, but it's pretty far from everything so I don't know how cheap it would be.

If you do though, bring my some license plates :P

The one connection I made over there turned out to be super sketchy, and never answers his emails either.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

oooooooo JDM goodness! how much would you want for some headlights when you bring them back or ship them or w/e?
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
Timo
First Gear

Post by Timo »

Guys,

I've got 2 set's of this EUDM glass headlights with levelers and levelerswitch.

These are both from after the facelift (from 92/93 and later by us)
1 perfect set, no broken things (it was my spare set for my station)
1 set with some little issues, but glass is in good condition (this set was in my car I'm driving before I strip down the car)

I can plausible also came on one set of the Legacy 1 before the facelift (89-91), must pick them up somewhere so this will take some time

I first want to find out what the shipping will cost and how I can package them perfectly for shipping to the US before I post them, but because I saw this topic, I already post something.

Sow when I know these things and have the right package to pack them carefully for shipping to US, I will make a FS-topic whit good pictures en the details.

Tips about packaging or price are welcome in my pm-box.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I see, cool. I need 90-91 headlights though.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Remember guys, JDM means right-hand drive cars, the aiming and lens design will be backwards from what we need... you can adjust to make it work, but it's not the optimum for our roads... get Euro lights if you can.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Never would have thought about that. I just want glass headlights that put out more light than a maglite does. 90-91 plastics put out the worst light I've ever seen in a car before. I might as well put a lantern on the front of my car.
Timo
First Gear

Post by Timo »

All the lamps I have are EUDM, so they are Left hand drive, just like yours.

I will make hurry for the thinks I still need to know.
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

kimokalihi wrote:I might as well put a lantern on the front of my car.
I laughed out loud

Yeah, if you want the lights to be worth it I think you want the EDM ones

I'm just going to put Hellas behind my grill

ha ha ha, I looked at what you said again, and I laughed again.

i can just picture it.

I'm not even drunk right now.
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

I had JDM headlights on my 92 SS and they were a DRASTIC improvement...

Plus I got them for $50 shipped :D
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

555BCTurbo wrote:Plus I got them for $50 shipped :D
What! :shock:
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

eBay is sweet!
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Just looked on ebay 20 mins ago. Nothing.

How come USDM got the shitty plastics and everyone else got the nice glass headlights? Do we not need to see at night in america?
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

I think Nick must have got those via pure luck, I have watched ebay for the past couple years and seen nothing reasonable... The few I did see were astronomically expensive. I even have a saved search that still email's me 0 results.

The JDM RHD configuration is not ideal, but it will be a marked improvement over USDM lenses, and is adjustable to a more or less correct alignment. We seem to have this discussion every couple years on here. I think most would prefer EDM, if possible.
kimokalihi wrote: I might as well put a lantern on the front of my car.
Kimo, that's hilarious... I dunno why, but I could not stop laughing...

Anyway, I will have access to a car, driver who speaks Japanese natively (the wife), and I speak enough to fumble through a conversation. If people are really interested, I would make an effort.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah, kind of a bummer that they are aimed differently.
Kimo, that's hilarious... I dunno why, but I could not stop laughing...
It's hilarious because it's true! I first thought,"They must be so terrible because they're all yellow and nasty." So I sanded them down and then back to like 600 grit or 1200 grit (I forget). All the yellow was gone and I clear coated them and did not notice any improvement.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Yeah, those pre-facelift headlights are like 30 or 60 watt incandescent bulbs.

What was a real pity was my brother-in-law had a 1987 or 1989 Volvo 240. They had these HUGE bugeye headlights, like 8 or 9" square headlights. When he bought the car used, we were living in rural NY. I thought, "Oh, wow, he's going to have really good lights to see with at night." Nope, another case of lanterns or those 60 watt incandescent bulbs. Just two dull yellow spots in front of the car. It seemed that a flashlight literally could have done better.

Anyway, regarding the beam pattern of the glass lights. I've got a set of EDM post facelift lights. The low beam pattern is like how it's pictured here: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... ght=lights

The edm lights that Timo can get would have this beam pattern.

The jdm beam light pattern would be reversed. The light will shine in the eyes of all the oncoming drivers. (I know I wouldn't want those lights coming at me--it would be like the driver had his high beams on.) And the light on the far right edge of the road would actually drop off lower.

Timo, I'll PM some suggestions on packing the lights to you.
'94 TW
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

I have the EDM lights in my '91 SS, night and day difference to stock, get some if you can.

Here a pic I took during install, EDM on the left with nice sharp upper cutoff rising to the right (JDM will rise to the left). Stock yellow blob on the right.

Gary

(Edit for mixed up left & right)
Last edited by All_talk on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how broke I am... I always seem to find two cents.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Ummm, isn't the edm on the left and the stock on the right?
'94 TW
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

Yeah, the beam pattern is part of the reason I didn't buy the JDM ones while I was there. Supposedly it can be rectified fairly easy with a tiny offset shim in the bulb mount and another adjustment. The guy who I spoke to over there says that's the way he ship all different makes to the US and he's never had a complaint (of course, none of those people probably know they are pissing everyone off).

Our lights blow, but polishing them up and installing a set of Silverstar ultra's was enough of a workaround for me - still not nearly optimal but good enough for an 17 year-old car. I messed around with HID's for a while too, but the light quality sucks. Pre face-lift lights are a complete disaster.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Hey Morgan,

I may be wrong, but I don't think the light pattern can be altered because the light pattern is molded into the glass lens. The lenses themselves will have to be modified or swapped to effect the change.

Anyway, (I haven't searched but...) have you somewhere posted pics of what the Ultras output is like? I'd like to see them if they're posted, or if they're not posted, can you start a thread and post pics? :D (Thanks!)
'94 TW
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

This may not apply to Legacy headlights, but might be worth checking if you have a set.

They do the same thing with e30s, swap European headlights in, I did it with mine, the light cutoff looked identical to the one above, apparently swapping to the other direction was as easy as twisting the bulb mount, it wasn't in the glass, so I would assume these would also be in the bulb mount. They made it that way because different European countries drive on the left side, but Germany doesn't.

Which brings me to my next question, wouldn't it depend on what country the headlights came from? Not all countries in Europe drive in the right, I think most drive on the left actually.