Quickoildrainvalve

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

skatedees
First Gear

Quickoildrainvalve

Post by skatedees »

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

Has anyone had any experience with these?

I'm probably going to get one, but I just wanted to see if there was any opinions on here.

Thanks
1991 BJ EJ22
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

Ah yes, the Fumoto valve. I've got em on both of my cars. Love it.
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's pretty cool. Kind of expensive though. Gonna cost you almost $30 for one of them. After shipping.

Best part though is you don't get oil on your hands. I always change my oil hot and it's almost impossible to avoid getting it on your hands and sometimes you ever drop the damn plug in the oil pan.

I think I'll get a couple of them.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I've been thinking about getting one for the damn Mazda, but wasn't sure if I could trust them. I could change the Subaru's oil barely kneeling down and not spill a drop, but the Mazda has to be jacked up and I always spill shit no matter what.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

they bother me. Imagine someone goes under the car and opens it to screw you over ? There would be a puddle though.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah, but who would think to do that. This is the first I've even seen of these.

That would suck though.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

That's why I was hesitant on the Subaru. On the Mazda, someone would have to know it was there, be able to jack up the car, and take a hell of a chance of getting caught. I don't talk to enough people or go enough places for that to be likely.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I have one too. Makes hot hot oil changes a breeze. No dropping the plug into oil. Just hook it open with a closed end wrench and voila. And you can take it with you when you plan to sell the car. I've had mine since 01'.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
rallyguy_777
First Gear

Post by rallyguy_777 »

I have one and I amscared it is going to get ripped off on gravel roads. It is right now the lowest spot on the car, which scares the shit out of me alll the time :P
Massimo Narini

93 legacy Turbo (aka Gracie)
-Turbo XS boost controller(6/12psi), WRX TMIC, STI sways,04 STI struts, 3'' DP, lightweight pulley,
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Well the only way mine is coming undone is if I bottom out the car. Going backwards. And something there to hook it. So flying backwards into a rooty ditch. At that point you have bigger problems lol.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

If someone wants to drain your oil for some reason, I don't see why they couldn't do it whether you had one of these or not. People don't exactly go around looking for easy drain valves to fuck with people, at least where I live.
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

lol yeah that's what I was saying. Hardly anyone has even heard of these things so they'd never think to look for it and the odds that someone would have one on their car are about 100X less than the odds that the keys would be in the ignition with the door unlocked.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

evolutionmovement wrote:Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.
:lol:

Drain valve or not, I carry a 17mm in my car at all times - so don't mess with me...
SUBARUEHS Racing
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

If you really don't want to be messed with, try carrying a 9mm.
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
Don't knock him for thinking outside of the box. At least he has been creative.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Guns are worthless protection when you're not there to use them.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I sleep under my car each night with an AK-47. Waiting for people to mess with my drainplugs. Six years I've been doing this.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

biggreen96 wrote:I sleep under my car each night
Keeping your cat company?
SUBARUEHS Racing
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

evolutionmovement wrote:Guns are worthless protection when you're not there to use them.

So is a wrench.
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Huh? The theoretical bad guy would have the wrench. If he wasn't there, it wouldn't matter as the wrench couldn't unscrew the oil drain plug itself or is that some kind of existential or quantum/spiritual statement I'm missing regarding the entanglement of souls and locations or...? I think that's way over my head.
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

Same here.
So would that make n2x4 the theoretical bad guy? Here I thought he was just a driver who carries a wrench. I think that not all people who carry wrenches are bad guys.
Robert,

georryan wrote:
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Is this a gun defense thing? I'm not attacking guns. You REALLY don't know me if you think I am. I was pointing out that you could carry an arsenal, but if you're not there to wield it when someone's violating your property/spouse/kid, then it's worthless. In this tongue-in-cheek example of vandalism, you come out and find a pool of oil in the driveway. Culprit is long gone. You have a Barrett M82 with API rounds. What can you do with it other than relieve stress if you have access to a range where you can use such a thing? Of course there's the questionable legality of the rounds and shooting the guy even if you did come across him screwing with your car, but this is again, tongue-in-cheek. A life preserver's no good if the victim's already drowned.
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

Agreed.

I never felt you were attacking anything. As you stated this is just tongue-in-cheek. No reason to get worked up over it. It is just humorous banter.
Robert,

georryan wrote:
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

I'll leave my wrenches at home and just unscrew your oil filter.

No one is safe...
SUBARUEHS Racing
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

Good man.
Robert,

georryan wrote: