(Pre-facelift) New and Improved Hood Scoop.

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32

To get the crowds response (Fave 1-5)

1 - Meh, I'll just buy a Honda scoop from china and cut a hole in the front.
2%
2 - It's okay, but I dont want it on my car
16%
3 - I like it, I may buy one
38%
4 - I'm buying one, I just need to save some cash for it
13%
5 - I'm hitting pay-now and waiting in line!
11%
N/A - No seriously, my car is N/A, so I dont need one
18%
N/A - FMIC , I haz no need for scoop but I wan one
No votes
N/A - FMIC, I dont need one and dont want one.
2%

Total votes: 45

Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

(Pre-facelift) New and Improved Hood Scoop.

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

Photos of it on the car:

Here's the scoop up close:

$125 Shipped in the US (3M heavy duty double sided tape - stick on)
$150 Shipped in the US (Bolt on)

International will be a little more, pm me with address... so we can find the cheapest method (Global Priority works best)

The reason the 3M version is so much cheaper, is that I dont have to do any rework to the scoop after molding, just give it a nice smooth finish, for the double sided tape to grab onto.

If you want one, just PM me. And I'll send a Paypal invoice, unless you dont have paypal, then we can work something out, on this... money orders would get you in line quickest, otherwise you'll have to wait for the check to clear. Paypal does charge a bit of a fee, but it's handy in protecting both the seller and buyer and it's quick.

Thanks,

Ken

Oh and Blackbart gets the first one free, since he loaned me his 91' SS scoop. Thanks dude, I couldn't have done it without ya.
Last edited by Legacy Rally Guy on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Three more spots open for the first batch! I'm ordering the supplies Friday to make six, unless more people get in line.

Current spots held:

1. (Will be mule scoop for Post-Facelift)
2. Blackbart
3. mike-tracy
Last edited by Legacy Rally Guy on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

you should take pics of the scoop on the car and you further away. i like it, but need to see the hole car. also maybe a driver seat shot.
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
cartwheels
Second Gear

Post by cartwheels »

This is exciting! Buy some scoops so he can make a post-facelift version for me :D
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
1991 Legacy SS (finally got one!)
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Thanks for your contribution!! I will definately be buying one when I can afford it. Im more focused on performance stuff right now, but once that TMIC is in that scoop should be shoving alot more air down there. :D
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Airgne wrote:you should take pics of the scoop on the car and you further away. i like it, but need to see the hole car. also maybe a driver seat shot.
Hehe, I've already taken pics of that, but not of the shiny version. It was still semi-translucent at the time, so it didn't show up as well as I'd like on camera.

I have some preliminary pictures, a ways off... But it was before it even had the fiberglass version with the initial sanding.

I 'll take some pictures tonight after work or tomorrow during my lunch break, my car is at the shop where I work on my stuff, about five miles from work.

Thanks. hehe, I was so worried about showing you guys that I worked hard on quality, the over-all aesthetics was lost in my pictures. This is why I love feedback!
Last edited by Legacy Rally Guy on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Mattheww044 wrote:Thanks for your contribution!! I will definately be buying one when I can afford it. Im more focused on performance stuff right now, but once that TMIC is in that scoop should be shoving alot more air down there. :D
Dont worry, as long as I can, I'll make these, it's not going to be one of those body-shop group buys that only have a limited amount. But the more I sell of these, will give me more money to pioneer other stuffs... and yes, I've a list! In all actuality, these scoops were the most difficult thing.
Last edited by Legacy Rally Guy on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Fresh photos added in first post and I shot a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5o5LiuhZAc

I'm not sure how to imbed this video...
SubiePrice88
Third Gear

Post by SubiePrice88 »

looks super good! Thats awesome! :)

I was going to vote but theres no option for me... Id buy it but I already have a wrx scoop and mines post face.
-Jordan

"Nothing Stings Like a Subee"

1992 Legacy SS, 5MT, 140k, some mods ;)
1993 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 220k!
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

SubiePrice88 wrote:looks super good! Thats awesome! :)

I was going to vote but theres no option for me... Id buy it but I already have a wrx scoop and mines post face.
yeah, I forgot to add the options for post facelift scenarios.. :P Definitely glad you like it though!

I hope to make one similar for your model as well.
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

where is the option in the vote "I have a 92-94 SS" . Looks really good otherwise.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

ericem wrote:where is the option in the vote "I have a 92-94 SS" . Looks really good otherwise.
Hehe, it's soon, apparently silicone isn't cheap.. hehe so after I sell a couple of these to make the silicone mold worth while, I'm going to start on the post facelift scoops!

I ordered the stuff today to make the first batch of six... I'm afraid that's all the bigger of a batch I can make at a time. I'll be on em as soon as I get the stuff in. They said they processed my order for my waxes/silicone/mold release and PVA today!

So hurry up guys, I' only have three more spots left in the first batch.
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

Out of curiosity, what else do you want to make in the future besides scoops?
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Grayguy wrote:Out of curiosity, what else do you want to make in the future besides scoops?
Other than the obvious 92-94 hood scoops being next.. hehe, I do have some plans if I can offset the cost some...

-Side skirts for 89-94 Legacys
-Front/Rear Fender lips *I'd prefer to make them from urethane, so these are more resiliant* I'm still learning urethane molding...
-Fog light buckets that bolt into the turn signal housing... *PIAA bulbs?* *should be fairly doable*
- I've always wanted to do a hood light pod. *but there's a guy on here that made one, so I'm not stepping on his toes, if he wants to make more, my design would be a bit different though, if I do make them.

When I get a good vaccum system to develop my fiberglass/carbon skills and improve my layup results, I'll try for making:
-carbon front fenders
-fiberglass fender lip kit
-maybe some aero pieces... our poor cars need all the help they can get.. hehe
fatgc8
First Gear

Post by fatgc8 »

Finally someone that is making products for these cars!!!! If you were to make custom one off peaces like your doing i would really think a lot of people would buy them on here. THERES NO MARKET FOR BC LEGACYS!! Im going to end up buying on of your hoodscoops, I just need to save some cash. Good luck!
2005 STi (500WHP with "SlowSTi" as the license plate lol (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Legacy ss JDM EJ20G swap with STi goodies (DD)
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

fatgc8 wrote:Finally someone that is making products for these cars!!!! If you were to make custom one off peaces like your doing i would really think a lot of people would buy them on here. THERES NO MARKET FOR BC LEGACYS!! Im going to end up buying on of your hoodscoops, I just need to save some cash. Good luck!
Well, if I do one-off stuff only, I'll probably just lose my a$$ in either time/money, so I'm hoping to at least make small batches, so it's a labor of love rather than a business, but not a deep hole I'm throwing myself into.

I am though doing a cowl hood scoop right now for a buddy with a bug-eye Impreza wagon, since he's got a FMIC. It'll be one-off for sure, but maybe I can sell a few of these as well. I should take pictures of that too, but that's for another thread.

Who knows, maybe I can make some good patterns and jigs, so one-offs are possible, when I piece a few things together or improve my efficiency.
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

is this fit 92-94 ?
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

yazmo wrote:is this fit 92-94 ?
Sorry, that's the next project.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Finally got the materials in this afternoon, when I got back to the house after work.. YAY!

This will be just enough for the first batch, I'll have the mold prepped this weekend and hopefully pop out a scoop or two throughout the week :P

I still need to make the jig for the bolt on part, but that'll be just an afternoon or so worth of fitting :P I dont have the car at the house, so I'll have to make a special trip back to my buddy's shop to get the pattern :P
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Ohh it's bolt on? Okay I was wondering why it was special(sorry). IMO smooth out the angles a bit, and straighten out the curve a little bit, it kinda looks awkward to me. BUT I don't have any interest in a new hoodscoop since I don't have a top mount, so my opinion doesn't count much.

Just a thought, but how about something that extends forward a bit so it doesn't look so sudden and awkward, but still bolts in to the stock brackets? Obviously extending it wouldn't help performance at all, but it would just flow better I think.
ericem wrote:where is the option in the vote "I have a 92-94 SS" . Looks really good otherwise.
The 92+ is different? I had no idea, good to know, thanks!
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I don't think it looks awkward, I think it looks aggressive from the front.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Apex3 wrote:Ohh it's bolt on? Okay I was wondering why it was special(sorry). IMO smooth out the angles a bit, and straighten out the curve a little bit, it kinda looks awkward to me. BUT I don't have any interest in a new hoodscoop since I don't have a top mount, so my opinion doesn't count much.

Just a thought, but how about something that extends forward a bit so it doesn't look so sudden and awkward, but still bolts in to the stock brackets? Obviously extending it wouldn't help performance at all, but it would just flow better I think.
The 92+ is different? I had no idea, good to know, thanks!

It looks kinda strange in the pictures, but goes very well with the cars lines to keep in style with the early 90's shapes. If you look at the STI scoop, it's very abrupt and sticks WAAY out there..
Last edited by Legacy Rally Guy on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

mike-tracy wrote:I don't think it looks awkward, I think it looks aggressive from the front.
I went for a blend of form/function and a bit of 80's/90's style...
sublunacy
First Gear

Post by sublunacy »

Wow very very nice, i think you should ditch the sticky tape idea and make a jig to drill the holes and tap them, and lower the price $20. Because 99 % of people buying this are going to want to be able to remove it, just in case they smash up the car or swich body's. If it fits the legacy's it will fit all subaru's? if done right you could have a broad market :)
Canadians and iternationals will want see that it is packaged and Boxed Properly for shiping so you should buy a crap load of boxes and bubble wrap and spray paint a big logo on the box. Then take a picture of the box closed and freshly opened to tease us with you suave, sexy marketing ability and products.
"Hows the transition look?"
91 turbo manual
BMX in the trunk!!!
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

sublunacy wrote:Wow very very nice, i think you should ditch the sticky tape idea and make a jig to drill the holes and tap them, and lower the price $20. Because 99 % of people buying this are going to want to be able to remove it, just in case they smash up the car or swich body's. If it fits the legacy's it will fit all subaru's? if done right you could have a broad market :)
Canadians and iternationals will want see that it is packaged and Boxed Properly for shiping so you should buy a crap load of boxes and bubble wrap and spray paint a big logo on the box. Then take a picture of the box closed and freshly opened to tease us with you suave, sexy marketing ability and products.
Well, if I dont have to add on the studs, it's much less work, so I would be able to offer the scoop at the reduced price. The 3M tape attached scoops easier and are removable, but you have to get more tape every time you need to remove it..

And the only way I could really lower the price any more, would be if I could get a group buy, but as long as it's onsies and twosies type stuff, I can't buy the gel coat/glass/resin in bulk... Plus I'm needing the extra little bit of cash for R&D of other fiberglass parts.

Two other things I might try creating are bumper skin brackets, so the bumper bar is removed, true, it drops the crash-readiness of a car, but for a track car, dropping 100lbs could be a good thing. First thing though is a post facelift scoop