Up Rate My Auto Box..???

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

irishlegacy
First Gear

Up Rate My Auto Box..???

Post by irishlegacy »

I would appreciate some advice on my Auto Transmission.

I am upgrading my GT-B 1997 Wagon ( Jap Import) and I am concerned the standard 280BHP box will not handle 400 Plus is I decide to go there.

What do I need to do with my existing box... hmmmmm !

:( :(
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

If you're really going to be making that much power, I'd get a 6 speed from an STi or a Legacy Spec B.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Phase 1 autos can be modified for any amount of power you ever want to make.

That said, a manual is easier for the average do-it-yourselfer. They are plug and chug.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
irishlegacy
First Gear

Post by irishlegacy »

93forestpearl wrote:Phase 1 autos can be modified for any amount of power you ever want to make.

That said, a manual is easier for the average do-it-yourselfer. They are plug and chug.
Thank you Dan and Aaron above..

When you say Phase 1 do you mean the GT-B 1997 Jap-Import Auto Transmission..? I prefer Auto and I would like to stick with it.
If the work involved on the Auto box is too complex and costly I will just keep the car in the Mid 300BHP range, prefer to have reliability rather then brute force.

Cheers and regards from Ireland

Paul
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

By Phase 1 I mean the first generation. The cutoff is somewhere in '96, IIRC. Or '97, I can't remember.

Trans-Go has a reprogramming kit for the valve body on Turbo Legacy transmissions(JATCO). It is done as part of a full rebuild though, and not for a do-it-yourselfer.

I couldn't tell you what transmission you have as I'm not familiar with overseas configurations, and when Subaru made changes.

300bhp will be a lot to ask of any stock Subaru auto without a modified vavle body.
→Dan

irishlegacy
First Gear

Post by irishlegacy »

93forestpearl wrote:By Phase 1 I mean the first generation. The cutoff is somewhere in '96, IIRC. Or '97, I can't remember.

Trans-Go has a reprogramming kit for the valve body on Turbo Legacy transmissions(JATCO). It is done as part of a full rebuild though, and not for a do-it-yourselfer.

I couldn't tell you what transmission you have as I'm not familiar with overseas configurations, and when Subaru made changes.

300bhp will be a lot to ask of any stock Subaru auto without a modified vavle body.

Thanks for that... I am not sure what way to go at this stage, engine rebuild is part of the project and I don't want to end up with a money pit if the original standard auto box is only rated for original BHP (286). I would like to balance this sensibly and avoid the additional costs to uprate the auto-box which makes the project very costly.

Do you know how I could establish the power rating of the original auto transmission on the car which is JAP import specification.

I know the intercooler is rated for a max speed of 112MPH as standard.

Cheers

Paul
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

286bhp on the original auto is something we've never had here in the 'states, so I have no way of telling you yay or nay. It just isn't something I can do from across the pond. It could very well handle and extra 14 hp. I was thinking more along the lines of adding 160hp to a 140hp car.

I would try to look up some people over there that have gotten their hands dirty in that box.
→Dan

Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

irishlegacy wrote: I know the intercooler is rated for a max speed of 112MPH as standard.

Cheers

Paul
Intercoolers have a speed rating?
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
Don't knock him for thinking outside of the box. At least he has been creative.
irishlegacy
First Gear

Post by irishlegacy »

Lunatech wrote:
irishlegacy wrote: I know the intercooler is rated for a max speed of 112MPH as standard.

Cheers

Paul
Intercoolers have a speed rating?
The JAP import cars were limited to 112mph in Japan so intercoolers etc were only designed to work up to that speed....that is why they got such a bad name with blown bottom ends when guys tried to get more out of them

EM
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Wouldn't that be variable with changed to gearing/boost/load or is there an aerodynamic effect where the air stalls and creates a barrier at speed like some car grilles which are designed to block airflow at high speed for better aerodynamics?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

The usual way to get an auto to handle more power is to machine the pistons in the clutch packs)or fit another piston), so you can slip an extra plate(well two really, one friction and one steel) in there.

Modifying the valve bodies on these things shouldn't be necessary as far as I know... all the pressures, shift speeds etc are set by the ecu.