Q about an ej22t

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

josh_90_leg
In Neutral

Q about an ej22t

Post by josh_90_leg »

So a bussy of mine has a ej22t that was rebuilt 50k ago, he askin 700, that a good price?
should i ask him any questions about it? idk alot about motors
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Is it complete? Is he a subaru technician? Those 50k miles could be really hard miles. I've seen better prices, I've seen worse.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
josh_90_leg
In Neutral

Post by josh_90_leg »

yea it is, and yes he is haha
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Might be a good deal then.
josh_90_leg
In Neutral

Post by josh_90_leg »

Ok, so to do the swap, i dont have the money to have a shop do it, so would it practically be just pulling my motor and dropping in the 22t? no wierd sh*t? lol im not to smart but i have a few friends thatd help, what about the wiring?

i have a 90 legacy, the turbo motor comes out of a 91, so how difficult will this be? and would it be doable to do over the weekend?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Hi Josh, I don't know the exact details of that swap, but I know you'll need a few things including:
- Turbo engine crossmember

Search, because a lot of people have done this, people including wtdash and legacy777.

I haven't done this swap, but I have swapped a few subie & non subie motors. A couple words of advice - nothing goes exactly to plan. Rarely will your swap work perfect the first time. So I wouldn't do this on your DD, unless you can go without it for a week or so. Chances are you'll learn a lot about your car in the process, so you'll be more comfortable with fixing/modifying it in the future.

However I think your plan to swap it in a weekend is feasible as long as you can get to a junkyard/parts car with the EJ22T specific parts, and have someone who has done this or has tons of troubleshooting experience.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll enjoy a newfound appreciation and love for your car with an EJ22T in it.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

This swap is a little more involved than just swapping the motors. You will need additional turbo sensors/electrical/wiring, and the turbo ECU. Additionally, there is some small modifications that need to be made to the cooling system.

It's a doable swap, but there's definitely more involved than just swapping the motor.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
josh_90_leg
In Neutral

Post by josh_90_leg »

Thanks for all the info, helped alot....
josh_90_leg
In Neutral

Post by josh_90_leg »

If i can get ahold of the clip of an ej22t, would i have everything necessary? crossmember, turbo sensors, ecu, and all that?
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

If you're gonna put this much effort into it, why not just get an ej22tt or something like that?

Just a question, I don't know a whole lot about it except the engine itself should cost about the same.
josh_90_leg
In Neutral

Post by josh_90_leg »

ej22tt? twin turbo??
where can i get ahold of one of those?
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

There's no such thing as an EJ22TT (at least not from the factory). He probably meant the EJ20H(?) which is twin turbo, but doesn't fit in the LHD Legacy and the twin turbo motor actually has a fairly wide VoD, so the overall power gains are negligible.

If I were you, I'd pick up an EJ20G from an E-bay vendor and swap that in. They're usually about $1,200 shipped, BUT you get a higher horsepower motor (220-240CHP as opposed to 160CHP), a shorter geared transmission that is usually a manual and all of the wiring and the ECU.

If you can find an EJ22T for and $400 then go with that, but $700 just seems like a little too much money for what you're actually getting.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I think $700 for an EJ22T longblock rebuilt by a quality Subaru tech is a very reasonable price. People buy EJ22T case halves for $400 all day long.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

asc_up wrote:There's no such thing as an EJ22TT (at least not from the factory). He probably meant the EJ20H(?) which is twin turbo, but doesn't fit in the LHD Legacy and the twin turbo motor actually has a fairly wide VoD, so the overall power gains are negligible.

If I were you, I'd pick up an EJ20G from an E-bay vendor and swap that in. They're usually about $1,200 shipped, BUT you get a higher horsepower motor (220-240CHP as opposed to 160CHP), a shorter geared transmission that is usually a manual and all of the wiring and the ECU.

If you can find an EJ22T for and $400 then go with that, but $700 just seems like a little too much money for what you're actually getting.
Yea, sorry that's what I was thinking of.

Point being though, basically what you just said, if you're gonna spend a bunch of money and do all the work to swap, might as well get something worthwhile. Then again it's not like the ej22t is a bad engine or anything.
josh_90_leg
In Neutral

Post by josh_90_leg »

but considering id do my own swap, wouldnt the ej22t be alot easier, if i go with the ej20g wouldnt the wiring be a shit load harder? and more fab work? the ej22t from whet i heard is practically plug and play, just need a few parts like the crossmember and a few sensors and ecu?
bepa
Second Gear

ej22t swap

Post by bepa »

from what my brother and I have learned, the swap would work best if you get a rusting SS. you would also need the wringing harness, cross member, drive shaft and turbo ecu.

would have to remove the dash, and the cc control unit, and all. next you need the clutch pedal box and slave cylinder if you are using an SS transmission. you should also make sure that the gear ratio is the same between the lsd and the front differential. turbo 1st generation legacy's have 4.10 there is a tag you yours. clean off the back of the diff and it will have a tag. either 3.90 or 4.10.

if you have more questions holla back and I will reply to your question a little me\ore.

be well, Bepa
91 SS/ 01 MB ML 55
Bronx, NY.