StatGSR's EG33 Wagacy Build (update 1/20/10)

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

StatGSR
In Neutral

StatGSR's EG33 Wagacy Build (update 1/20/10)

Post by StatGSR »

Well this is going to be the build thread for my EG33 (svx) swap. For those that don't know i have a 97 Legacy Brighton that will be receiving the EG33.

About the swap... Decided to go a different route than most and stay NA, but i wasn't about to waste my time playing with a 2.2 or even a 2.5 since i knew the 3.3 swap could be done. Mechanically the engine bolts right up, but will require moving the radiator. Options for the radiator include getting a custom one or hacking up the rad support to move it forward. im actually going to try a V mount style rad to see if i can fit it in with out destroying to much of the rad support and if that wont work then i will probably go with a custom aluminum rad.

EG33 is rated at 230 hp 230 lbs tq, thats beyond stock wrx territory if you were wondering.

Costs...
My hope is to keep the total cost under 1500-2000. i got my SVX with 180k and a dead trans for 600 bux. i expect to recoup almost the entire cost of the car after parting it out. the engine is in need of work and needs a new timing and idler set as well as a complete set of timing belt covers. i will also be doing head gaskets and some other seals while i have the chance.

Wiring will be done by my friend Chux at http://www.numbchuxconversions.com . he has done the wiring merge for this several times and i have complete faith in him giving me quality work.

Other items i purchased for the swap include Group N engine mounts and trans mount.

first things first. SVX + Cut exhaust = sex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW3ZDPyx_JY

And heres the pics of what i have so far...

Grayguys GFs new winter beater impreza. Had a bad trans so that's getting swapped out

The legacy waiting for the new heart...
Last edited by StatGSR on Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
94 Integra GSR
97 Legacy Brighton
StatGSR
In Neutral

Post by StatGSR »

Engine in for Mock Up! (exhaust & radiator)

Clearance for Radiator, and this is without the crank pulley and belts on....

other updates....

SVX wiring harness is out of the car and stripped. just waiting for the legacy harness.
Timing belt, pulleys and water pump are here... another big box of eg33 parts is on the way
94 Integra GSR
97 Legacy Brighton
StatGSR
In Neutral

Post by StatGSR »

We (greyguy and myself) figured out that we could use the stock bosses in the Radiator where the radiator fans are supposed to bolt on to it. This ment adding some tabs to the core support to utilize those bosses. greyguy will be my fab work guru for this project

To get the radiator to fit vertically in front of the support, I had to cut out the pinch weld and front section of the lower support

I had to cut the 3 lower grill mounts, and the inner most headlights off to get them to fit on. The bumper beam is going to need to be trimmed at the pinch weld to get the Rad sitting vertically as well.

The upper radiator hose is almost perfect! I mounted the rad just low enough to easily get the upper hose on.

On the inner side of the core support, we'll have to wrap the hose and trim a little metal so that the hoses doesn't rub.

AS a referance, the bottom mount is going to look a lot like the lower FMIC mount greyguy put in his BD

94 Integra GSR
97 Legacy Brighton
Lego
First Gear

Post by Lego »

pretty good stuff! good luck with your swap :-D
1992 legacy h6
1998 legacy gt sedan: for sale soon
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

It finally warmed up enough to work on it a bit more, but alas I hit another road block because I'm out of sawzall blades, and it's still cold enough that the air cut off wheel freezes up. I've got it all marked out tho, and I'm gonna take some stuff to work to cut.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

You need a warmer garage. :-D
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

How cold is it? I was working on my car in my parents' garage the other night and it was a solid 15F. I had a heater but I was under the car most of the time and the heater was too tall to blow any heat under there for me and most of the heat just went out the attic windows and there's a couple borken windows on the first floor too. Not to mention the walls are all open with no insulation.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

It's been below zero for quite awhile, finally warmed up to like 15 today.
2002 Impreza 2.0RS 6MT
2001 Impreza 2.5RS 5MT (winter beater)
1992 Jeep Cherokee
1994 SS 5MT RIP
1991 SS 5MT *SOLD*
1996 Legacy Outback 5MT *SOLD*
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

Fuck, 15F is Balmy. When I did most of the work in the pics above it was like 3F. I had every intention of finishing the front the other night cause it got up to 20F.

And yes Dan, I need a warmer garage. I can't wait to build my own, cause in floor heat is FTMFW!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I hear radiant floor heating is pretty sick.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, if I was building a garage, I'd do radiant floor heat combined with geothermal ground source heat.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

Geothermal is not worth it for just a garage, but If building the house and shop at the same time, then yeah it's the way to go.

Back on topic, I hope to be able to tackle the rest of the front end stuff monday, then it's time to do exhaust.
epicfail
First Gear

Post by epicfail »

93forestpearl wrote:You need a warmer garage. :-D
Or a torch set.

EG33 + 5mt + lightweight flywheel = massive fun. It is getting a manual trans, right?
Awesome build, btw.
[quote="RJ93SS"]u fail, epicly[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]Don't do drugs, kids, men may not need nipples, but we look a lot funnier without them.[/quote]
StatGSR
In Neutral

Post by StatGSR »

^ yes it is a 5mt and it will have a light flywheel and crank pulley

hopefully we should have some more updates soon here.
94 Integra GSR
97 Legacy Brighton
turbo_meow
First Gear

Post by turbo_meow »

nice swap man
fmic,td04,wideband,3" turbo back exhaust,fuel cut off defence,walbro 255,hks super bov,stock ej22t with 34000 miles all orig.
www.myspace.com/legacyturbo303
www.facebook.com/FrankJoshuaGrasmugg
Lego
First Gear

Post by Lego »

any updates on this?
1992 legacy h6
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

This weekend they got the new timing stuff on the motor, and the new wiring harness is in the car and mostly hooked up. Were trying to get it running for the ice races this weekend.
StatGSR
In Neutral

Post by StatGSR »

^yup

got the motor out and back in with new some new timing gear and new covers. got the clutch and flywheel on. got the group N motor mounts and tranny mount in. Got the motor back in.

Hooked up the SVX High pressure PS line to the rack. completed the PS bypass ( left it all in so all i have to do if i want is drop in a PS pump in and im ready to go)

Got the air intake on.

Think that basically covers it...
94 Integra GSR
97 Legacy Brighton
Lego
First Gear

Post by Lego »

im guessing you already wired everything?
1992 legacy h6
StatGSR
In Neutral

Post by StatGSR »

Tonight it Runs
Tomorrow it gets finished (rad support and exhaust)
And Friday it Ice Races! w00t! :-D
94 Integra GSR
97 Legacy Brighton
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

woot woot! I hope all goes well with the fabbing tomorrow.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Video please
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
StatGSR
In Neutral

Post by StatGSR »

Dan u should see it in person before i get the chance to take a video of it.
94 Integra GSR
97 Legacy Brighton
StatGSR
In Neutral

Post by StatGSR »

Picture Time! Its in it runs....poorly. its missing hard and wont work well, dies frequently as soon as it gets warm, my guess is a vacuum leak and or a bad coil on one of the cylinders. hoping it shouldnt take much more time to get it working good tho!

oh yea and my new super awesome license plates!!!

94 Integra GSR
97 Legacy Brighton
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

haha thats sooo sick. Ultimate sleeper next to the Red Devil, :P. Cant wait to see more progress!
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D