New brake pads...

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ericem
Fifth Gear

New brake pads...

Post by ericem »

I have been searching and it sounds like EBC yellows are good pads. Any other suggestions for a SS? Something not to expensive. I also plan on replacing the front discs with OEM. Thanks!!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

when i seen you last, your brakes where working perfect. you burnt them out or what ??
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

ya they work great still, but they glaze over very easily and make VERY loud embarrasing sounds often, i recently checked them out and they are pretty warn out on the driver side.

Reason for this is, the driver side caliper seized up, so, i got the disc resurfaced or cut i believe? and the pad I just sanded down, but that pad was much more worn and it always had weird sounds when stopping, now it is alot worse and I am getting pretty close to metal. Also I did go to the track.

I am debating spending $50 again on the same pads, but I remember the pads that came with my car stopped WAY better then these pads do! Realistically I wish I kept the originals.......... and I do not know what pads it came with.

I do know for fact that stock brake pads SUCK!
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

I too am looking at getting new pads. I was seriously considering Hawk HPs or EBC (wasnt sure which model yet). But since I am probably going to upgrade my brakes later on, I think I am just gonna go with some cheapos from autozone.

But from what research I did, Hawk or EBC for sure.
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm going with EBC yellows when I need new pads.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

where did you guys get your hawk pads? Im trying to get the Hawk HPS pads, but it says its the same pad for the N/A and the SS....
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Mattheww044 wrote:where did you guys get your hawk pads? Im trying to get the Hawk HPS pads, but it says its the same pad for the N/A and the SS....
+1

I've been trying to find just about anything, and I can't find anywhere I trust to buy pads from. No one in person carries anything, I found PBR ceramic once but didn't like them on my e30, so I don't want them for the Legacy.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

my friend can order me front and rear HPS pads for 125 which is a screaming deal, but the website says its for all Legacy's and the SS brakes are bigger, so wouldn't they use different pads?
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

From my research over the years, I could never find HAWK front pads for the stock turbo brakes. I believe EBC was the only one I could find that makes a "performance" pad for the stock front turbo brakes.. I ended up installing WRX calipers/rotors so I could upgrade to HAWK pads. NAPA had just came out with ADO (Adaptive One) pads and I got a good deal on them so I used these and they're still holding up very well, couldn't get the HAWKs soon enough so I got these. The ADO pads are two different formulations Semi Met/Ceramic, the outboard pads have a higher percentage of ceramic to combat dust and noise, the inboard pad has a higher metalic content to provide better stopping. These pads come well packaged and include any applicable clips and a small amount of lubricant, the construction/quality of the pads are great, the shims are high quality and permantly affixed to the pad (not glued, so the shim won't shift), and they are chamfered edges and center slots, the quality is comaparable to Akebono pads. These pads have never even slightly squeked, proper installation is and has always been the biggest factor with this though.

If your more interested in overall GRIP, I would recommend just using the NAPA AE (Application Engineered) pads, I think they call these Ultra Premium now, These are full Semi-Mets and have a very high metallic content, I've actually pricked my finger a couple times from metal strands on these pads. I use these pads on fleet service vehicles and they typically last 20k-25k miles in severe conditions(Taxis/Emergency vehicles), they are fairly easy on rotors. They do produce quite a bit of dust, just the nature of the beast though. I've never had a complaint about brake fad, however, I believe all NAPA pads contain some amount of organic material, so brake fade can still occur. These are Semi-Mets so a squek here and there are common, When I install these PROPERLY I never hear any squeking, and I have never had a comeback, knock on wood. Oh, the construction/quality of these pads aren't as good as the ADO but still decent, the shims are a different material and are sometimes glued on instead of permantly affixed, still chamfered and center slots, include applicable clips but no lube.

I'm pretty sure NAPA offers both ADO and AE pads front and rear for our cars. When I get off here I log onto NAPA and get some part numbers.

Brian
Last edited by brweber352 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
93'TLegWag171k StockBlock,TD05,HallmanMBC,530cc,Walbro255,shortram,LWpulley,DIS-2,MSDcoil,cxrFMIC,trans cooler/external filter,WRX wheels/brakes,CES w/Borla muffler,QTP elec cutout,REVchip2,KYB GR2,GroupN tops/all fr bushings,STImounts,GSD3 tires,LM-1,etc
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Mattheww044 wrote:my friend can order me front and rear HPS pads for 125 which is a screaming deal, but the website says its for all Legacy's and the SS brakes are bigger, so wouldn't they use different pads?
That's part of what keeps me from ordering from the websites I've found...

I keep thinking about the PBR pads at Napa, but same deal, and they don't list what pads they are...
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

Well I logged on to NAPA ProLink and they do not offer the ADO for the front, they have them for the rear but not sure if it's for turbo. I can't find the AE or UP Semi-Mets, all I could find is the Ultra Premiuim with OE Ceramic compound. I didn't have alot of time because the boss wanted to go so i'll check some more tomorrow. ADO, UP, SS, TS brake pads are all made by NAPA, but sometimes they can get other pads but list the manufacturer as Altrom. I believe Altrom is a catalog they order out of and just list this as the manufacturer. There were a crap load of Altrom pads so I'll check out the descriptions some more tomorrow to find out what exactly they are. I did find a couple of sets by PBR but didn't look at the fitment or compounds. The NAPA UP OE Ceramic are good pads, I would avoid SS(safety stop) and the TS(tru-stop) as these are their "value" pads, they work but don't stop very well and burn out fast, these are good if you mess up a rotor and can't afford to replace/turn the rotor, it will stop it until you can afford better. Also the SS and TS do not include clips and are just thrown loosely in the box, I've seen some with chunks missing right out the box. A parts man once told me some manufacturers will mix anything they can get their hands on for friction compound on cheap pads, like walnut shells, old bricks, and even cardboard :shock:

I'll try to do some more digging tomorrow and find out some specifics. Looks like EBC pads might be the best bet, or upgrading to WRX brakes. I got my calipers w/brackets (used less than 40k miles) for like $90 shipped off Ebay from I think WRXtex or something, they're located in Texas and always have a ton of WRX parts.
93'TLegWag171k StockBlock,TD05,HallmanMBC,530cc,Walbro255,shortram,LWpulley,DIS-2,MSDcoil,cxrFMIC,trans cooler/external filter,WRX wheels/brakes,CES w/Borla muffler,QTP elec cutout,REVchip2,KYB GR2,GroupN tops/all fr bushings,STImounts,GSD3 tires,LM-1,etc
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Im gonna give Hawk a call and see what they have. Ill tell them that the legacy turbo and non-turbo have different brakes, and can't use the same pad and see what they say I guess
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

Mattheww044 wrote:Im gonna give Hawk a call and see what they have. Ill tell them that the legacy turbo and non-turbo have different brakes, and can't use the same pad and see what they say I guess
They'll probably ask you if it has 14" wheels or 15" wheels. I'm pretty sure those pads will fit all Legacys with 14" wheels but not the Turbo Legacy with 15" wheels. I did this research a looong time ago but never actually called HAWK. I can't remember why, but I did come to the conclusion they don't fit. Please let us know what HAWK says.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

ok sure thing.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

"Thank you for your interest in Hawk Performance. I have looked into the brakes for your turbo Legacy. We currently do not offer the front pads for the turbo Legacy. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Thank you "

Thats what I got from a CSR at Hawk. I told them that I would provide my current front pads for them if they would be willing to make some, and that I would inform everyone that they have been made for the turbo legacy to get some sales.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

"I have forwarded the information about the Legacy turbo to our new product development team. They will conduct their investigation on what is needed to release the pad. If they decide to launch the pad I will let you know. Thank you "

So, hopefully they come out with something pretty soon, ill let you know if I hear anything from them
slowjoe
First Gear

Re: New brake pads...

Post by slowjoe »

does anyone here like the carbotech bobcats?
94 AT FWD N/A wagon-gutted daily driver.
sobe_death
In Neutral

Post by sobe_death »

slowjoe wrote:does anyone here like the carbotech bobcats?

While I'm sure they are better than parts store replacement pads, I am not a fan. I have a set on my S2000 and can't wait to change them. IMO Carbotech pads are not worth the money until you get to the (track) XP8 compound.

I'll probably be moving to Porterfield R4S compound for the street for that car and the Leg, while keeping my track pads as the XP12.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

ill probably just get the cheap autozone ones or w/e for now. and then when the time comes get the Hawk HPS all around if they end up making them, if not ill get EBCs
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Running the EBC reds now on new OEM discs. Car stops amazing, and they aren't even broken in yet. Car is in the body shop atm getting rust repaired.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I ended up picking up PBR Metal Masters, I like them, don't bite at all when they're cold but they warm up quick.

I haven't slammed on the brakes or anything yet though, so I'm not sure how that's changed, too much junk in the trunk for that.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Re:

Post by Fkyx »

Mattheww044 wrote:"I have forwarded the information about the Legacy turbo to our new product development team. They will conduct their investigation on what is needed to release the pad. If they decide to launch the pad I will let you know. Thank you "

So, hopefully they come out with something pretty soon, ill let you know if I hear anything from them
They might actually do something if more of us drop them emails asking about front pads.
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

i put in my word, but ya im sure if a few more people asked about them it would catch their attention
fastwagn
In Neutral

Post by fastwagn »

My friend Ken runs a small brake company and supplies our Subaru shop with brakes and can get just about anything available.

I can ask him to come on here and tell us what is available if you guys want.
91 Legacy Turbo Sedan (ej20g/5spd)
05 Forester XT (a few mods...)