Auto tranny shifting from 2nd to 3rd feels like no go?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ericem
Fifth Gear

Auto tranny shifting from 2nd to 3rd feels like no go?

Post by ericem »

Hey guys, seems like if I take off rpm's hovering around 2500-2700 from 1st to 2nd car is accelerating,but once it hits third I feel I need to give it more throttle and get the rpm to 3k+ before it starts accelerating furthermore. It is very annoying because I jump right into boost and waste gas for no reason. Also in general the shifts are very soft. I am debating swapping another transmission AGAIN!! But, I am thinking adjusting the brake band is a good idea. Would adjusting the brake band possibly help fix this issue with soft shifts and not fully engaging? Also going to try trans-x tranny additive!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would start with the brake band. It controls 2-3 shift I believe. Sounds like it needs to be tightened. Here's the adjustment procedure.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... andadj.jpg

You may just need to tighten it a little at a time until it shifts better.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ericem
Fifth Gear

Re: Auto tranny shifting from 2nd to 3rd feels like no go?

Post by ericem »

I am going to try out the trans-x additive first. If there is no change I might as well screw around with the brake band as I will be swapping in another transmission most likely. It seems difficult to hold the square nut and loosen the locking nut. I don't want the brake band changing when I loosen up the lock nut.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
bry
First Gear

Re: Auto tranny shifting from 2nd to 3rd feels like no go?

Post by bry »

i've noticed the same effect on a 1990 i recently worked on. 149k miles, 2-3 is sluggish, and then suddenly starts to accelerate like someone had stepped on the gas. to me, feels like a valve not completely shifting in its bore until pressure is built enough to force it. i changed the fluid (probably the first time ever as it was a little dark, although not having an akrid, burned smell). will see if that helps in a few months. it's not my car, so feedback will be slow.

have another friend with a 1994 and 330k on the original auto. no problems 2-3.

keep us posted on your band adjustment.