Speedometer woes

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Binford
Third Gear

Speedometer woes

Post by Binford »

I'm back to working on my SS drive-train swapped '90 LS. Long story short, both speedos were working before the swap. I hooked everything up and the speedo never worked. I spun the cable in a drill and confirmed it's still attached the speedometer itself and is working that way. So that leaves the portion inside the trans. :( With the "plug" removed from the trans, I'm able to easily spin the speedometer drive with a screwdriver in the trans. Am I correct in thinking this is a bad thing? :?
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
fishbone79
Second Gear

Re: Speedometer woes

Post by fishbone79 »

Sounds like the speedo gear is stripped if you can spin the slotted drive fitting in the trans..... You removed the speedometer base extension from the side of the trans and turned the speedo drive shaft below it, right?

There's a chance it just fell off if the C-clip was not on correctly - but either way, the case has to be cracked to fix it.

BTW, I was recently told by the local subaru parts guy that the speedometer base extension is the #2 most replaced part on first gen model years.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79
Binford
Third Gear

Re: Speedometer woes

Post by Binford »

That's what I was afraid of. :( I just don't understand what happened since it worked in the other car. :?
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!