For Sale, 5mt 91'SS - Sold

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
skid542
Fifth Gear

For Sale, 5mt 91'SS - Sold

Post by skid542 »

Well, as the title states, I have a 91’ SS for sale. This is the Radio Flyer that is well documented on the BBS. This car used to be a model of what an SS was meant to be. Since then it has gone through a couple of owners and only needs a little TLC to get it back to its old status. I will be upfront that there are a couple of items I wanted to address before selling the car but at this point I am comfortable selling the car as-is and would just like to be done with so I can focus soley on my 93. I bought this car in the fall for the motor and turbo that were in it for $2,000 knowing it had a few run problems and the transmission needed some significant work. Since then I have fixed the transmission and swapped motors with my 93’ SS.

*The coolant tank broke yesterday as I was tidying a few things up. This will be fixed prior to sale and I am in the process of sourcing another*

Powerplant – Stock EJ22T with 140k on it. This motor was previously in my 93’SS which was an AT and I swapped to a 5mt about 10-12k ago. I mention this because it means the thrust bearing should be in great shape. I have raced the motor in two seasons of auto-x without troubles. I never removed the stock fuel cut so my boost was limited I also never ran a turbo bigger than a VF-11. I ran the motor with a TMIC for a little while until I switched to a water/alky injection system. The motor has always had Valvoline oil since I owned it and changed at 3k religiously.

Drivetrain – 03’ WRX 5mt transmission. When I bought this car the transmission has been converted to RWD and the transmission ate the aft most shaft bearing in the tailhousing. To fix this I swapped the entire tailhousing with the one from my 96’ OBW. The center diff works great – I routinely drive in snow and know the center diff works… This is important to note that as it means the transfer gears are 1:1 and not the 1.1:1 like the stock WRX transmission. This means that the car needs a 3.90 rear diff and not the 3.45 WRX. However, the car already has the 3.90 VLSD in the rear. When I was fixing the transmission I split the main case and cleaned it well and inspected all the gears. Everything looks great inside and so I put it all back together – I never broke the main shafts down. The transmission runs strong, shifts well. It does have a small fluid leak which appears to be around the passenger axle seal. It’s not significant but will leave a small damp spot. When I put it back together I put fresh Valvoline 75W90 into the case.

The Good –
- 3” TBE, bellmouth downpipe
- VF-11 with MBC included – currently just running wastegate
- 03’ WRX transmission
- Excedy stage 1 clutch and flywheel
- 3.90 rear LSD
- GrpN motor mounts
- GrpN tranny mount
- GrpN pitchstop
- ABS delete
- AC delete
- New/recent components
*** New OEM HG 15k ago
*** New OEM timing belt 15k ago
*** New OEM radiator 15k ago
*** New throwout bearing 12k ago
- PP6 installed, needs tuned, everything included such as the tuning cable and the bridging port
- Side skirts
- Mudflaps
- Upgraded front endlinks
- Stock suspension but it’s still good with good rebound/damping
- Stock brakes but they’re like new, the rotors show no signs of ridging or lips around the periphery, the calipers have been painted red to match the car – looks pretty sharp.
- Good tires with lots of rubber left, on stock wheels
- Exterior is in great shape. The hood and bumper is painted flat black but otherwise is in good order. There are a few door dings that you would associate with a 18 year old car.
- Interior is in good shape – drivers seat has a tear in the side bolster but everything else is top notch.
- Sparco steering wheel
- AVO boost gauge, not currently hooked up
- Anti-theft system is installed but I don’t have the transmitter for it, you may be able to track something down.

The Bad –
- Power steering pump leaks
- Power steering pump squeals when turning tightly – likely related to the leak
- No stereo head unit – the wiring is there and it appears to have good speakers (granted I’m not an audio guy)
- Needs an alignment
- Need a speedometer cable, currently the speedo doesn’t work
- Driver’s side front axle has a tear in the outer CV boot. I will include a brand new boot with the car, just needs installed.
- Missing the fender liners. They are missing because the car previously was slammed and the clearance was needed.
- Engine stumbles
This is the big issue that I was wanting to fix before selling it. The engine has the classic PP6 stumble at throttle settings above 1/3 throttle and it’ll try to cut out. The engine free revs great but it does stumble under full throttle. There is speculation that the knock sensor wire has a short in it but a resistance check at the sensor connector doesn’t indicate a short to ground. Those speculating are very knowledgeable and this should be explored further. The car has three codes – 33, 35, 42. Part of me feels very bad about selling this car with this engine condition but it is the primary reason why the price is as low as I’m offering. That said, ask anyone that’s ridden in my car and they can tell you that the engine is very strong and with a little TLC this car could be a BEAST.

So, I’m offering a clean car with all the major components for a build already installed. It has the drivetrain, transmission, strong engine, and engine management already done. If you take a look at the list you’ll see there’s well more than the $2,200 I’m asking into this car. I have a clean title and Idaho plates with registration. I am happy to include any random items I have you may be interested in such as a SAAB 900 TMIC and associated piping.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

*I should have wiped the dust off the hood before the picture. It's dust you're seeing and not fade/discoleration.

The rest of the pictures can be found here - http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s151 ... gacy%20SS/
Last edited by skid542 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Re: For Sale, 91'SS $2,200

Post by skid542 »

Bump for a potential buyer - have fun out on the trail man!!
Lee

skid542
Fifth Gear

Re: For Sale, 91'SS $2,200

Post by skid542 »

Bump and a price drop!

I'm now only asking $1,900 for the car and throwing in the following -

- FMIC and piping the car came with. I needs a rotated turbo setup and under the intake manifold for the piping to be plug and play but a little fab work and it'll be good to go.

- Saab TMIC to use with the VF-11 until you decide to take it to the next step.

- Remote battery mount box and hardware. This does not include the electrical cables but it's the box and straps you need to put the battery in the trunk.

I have the coolant tank fixed and it should hold for a bit. I would still suggest replacing it but Frank (Blackbart) has one for $50 or you can source a WRX metal tank.

This is a screaming deal people. Add up the parts alone and you're well over $1,900 in just upgrades. I'm selling it cheap because I'm tired of having it take up space in my garage and tired of paying insurance on a car I don't drive. The BBS has gotten some sweet deals, and now's your chance!

Let me know if you have any questions.
Lee

sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: For Sale, 5mt 91'SS $2,200 Edit : Now $1,900 with more t

Post by sqc151 »

if only u werent 2500 miles away... :(
bepa
Second Gear

Post by bepa »

sounds like a nice deal. having 3 SS's at this time I would have to pass on it.

does look nice. a road trip if I were looking for another one.

good luck with the sale. be well, Bepa
91 SS/ 01 MB ML 55
Bronx, NY.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I'm getting a new coolant tank and will be putting it on.

So yeah, bumping the thread. In a week this is going up on Nabisco. In two weeks it's going up on craigslist - I want this gone.

You won't get many better deals on an already built car that just needs a little love to have a 300 chp machine.
Lee

skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Mid-week bump.
Lee

SubiePrice88
Third Gear

Post by SubiePrice88 »

someone needs to buy this!

If I only had the money...
-Jordan

"Nothing Stings Like a Subee"

1992 Legacy SS, 5MT, 140k, some mods ;)
1993 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 220k!
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Yesterday that was a considerable layoff at my company. I survived but it drove home the fact I need to have this gone.

So, I'm dropping the price to $1,600. Incase you're wonder, I won't go lower, today or later. This is my rock bottom price. I'm taking a hit on this as is and I can get more money for the parts. I just don't want to part out a clean SS' that just needs a couple CEL's fixed and a tune.

I'll also throw in the extra radiator I have and any other extra stock parts for it I can find laying around if you want them. The coolant tank has been fixed too and I took her for a good 5 mi. test drive and confirmed it.
Lee

Fkyx
Third Gear

Re: For Sale, 5mt 91'SS $2,200 Edit 2 : Now $1,600

Post by Fkyx »

Surprised no one has jumped on this one yet.
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

ive been tryine to make arrangements with friends to get this. but there no fun. anyway, if i had the money i wouldve flew out there already and picked this up.

bump for a nice car.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Gar! I would buy this if you were closer and I don't even like sedans! Dammit, that is such a great deal!
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Thanks for the kind words guys. I will be upfront that yeah there are a couple of items that need to be fixed. But nothing that a couple hundred wouldn't knock out. For less than 2k you could have one mean machine.

Heck, the transmission, mounts, and clutch alone are worth $1,600. It's like buying a tranny and getting a clean turbo car for free.
Lee

SubiePrice88
Third Gear

Post by SubiePrice88 »

man oh man. Ive been trying to figure out ways to buy this

1) open up 3 credit cards, max those out and buy it!
2) sell my current SS on craigs to some crazy kid that wants a TURBO! yes TURBO!
3) Have a garage sale of my parents house when theyre gone and than park the Radio Flyer in the living room

But dont think those will work.

GLWS Lee!
-Jordan

"Nothing Stings Like a Subee"

1992 Legacy SS, 5MT, 140k, some mods ;)
1993 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 220k!
tahiti350
Third Gear

Post by tahiti350 »

that's dirt cheap... If I wasn't trying to get my boat fixed and tires on the truck it's be road trip time with the trailer... I've got a super clean '91 wagon body just begging to be an SS clone.
'90 Bermuda Blue L Wagon (Wife's),
Auto, AWD, Now with 275K + miles!

2005 Outback, 2.5 AWD (wife's new daily)
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

It's a new week. Going to the top - bump.
Lee

Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

bump for a good car and a good guy. Only reason I sold it is because I couldn't afford to fix the tranny!
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

I think people are scared of the electrical issue. I know i am. I know mechanics, but when you come to electronics... that's where i bow out.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

The electrical issue should be a slam dunk. If it's the knock sensor wire then it's just a matter of putting a new wire through the firewall. There's several threads about doing just this and is not that difficult. The hardest part is playing the wires at the ECU.

The CEL's should not be hard to address. Just need a couple new parts probably and let it be.

The tuning is, well, tuning.

It should be noted that the car does drive fine as long as you don't get too hard on the throttle.

Reality is though, for the price I'm asking you could take this car to a compentent tuner and have them fix the issues and tune the car and still be ahead of the game. This car is worth more than $4,000 with a conservative estimate.

That said, I am suprised to see this post has almost 500 views and very little interest in actually buying the car. I guess it's time to go to Nasioc though... :-/. I'd rather see the car stay with the BBS but I'd also rather see my bank account healthier and more room in my garage again.
Lee

skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Mid week bump - it's now up on Nabisco too. I'd prefer this beautiful car go to a fitting home than some ricer WRX kid, so step up and make you're move if you're interested.

Thank you.
Lee

Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

This is killing me because I have no good reason to buy it but I want to so badly... It's exactly the kind of project I want, but the wrong time. I can't quite justify buying it. Maybe if you still have it in a couple weeks taunting me I'll break down and buy it. I'm sure someone will have bought it by then and saved me the trouble. :lol: Think it'll make a successful 400 mile drive to the next owner's home?

EDIT: If you still have it by the time I sell my current playtoy (on craigslist right now) I'll talk to you about buying it. Depends on how soon I can unload a beat Land Rover...
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Thank you for your interest.

I have no reason to believe it wouldn't make a 400 mi. drive. That said, I've only put about 15 mi. on the car since I put everything back together. I did do a full motor swap, break down the transmission, and redo the cooling system (had an aftermarket alum. radiator). So yeah :).

The car is an As-Is sale and the price reflects it. It's still a steal and I don't think you'd have big troubles, but it does have a few issues.

That said, I'm sure we can work something out if you have issues with getting it to WA and you want to pursue the sale.
Lee

Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Do you have any pictures of the interior you could post as well?
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I can get some pictures tonight and get them posted up tomorrow. I don't have my own camera so that's why there is a day delay but I will be happy to take some.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or items you'd like to see.
Lee

Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

I never use my camera to take pictures. Just my cell phone. I snap picture and send it to my email. Then i download it to my computer from my email, and then upload it to photobucket, and then... Upload to the BBS. lol
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.