HELP!! 4eat wont shift!! HELP please!

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Weazel240
First Gear

HELP!! 4eat wont shift!! HELP please!

Post by Weazel240 »

its 1994 turbo SW automatic!
150k miles.

It started today on the highway, when i press the gas it seem to be slippin a lil; This was about 55-60 mph. Then as i was getting closer to home the car doesnt seem to be shifting out of 3rd gear. im stuck at 4000rpm at 40 mph.
When i press on it it feels like it is slippin, the rpm would shoot up and the mph will go up so slowly!
i Drained the pan, and refill(not a full flush), and added Trans-x. and still the same prob!

Is my tranny Toasted!? I pray not! Any help! please!?

There is no check engine light. Power mode lights on goes on when i give the pedel the usual punch.
Weazel240
First Gear

Re: HELP!! 4eat wont shift!! HELP please!

Post by Weazel240 »

nothing>? =-(
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Hmm, speedometer works? Sounds like temp sensor issue. Are you sure the correct amount of oil is in the tranny? Also when you go from D to 3 any difference?

When you start the car the power light doesn't flash on off on off? Or just On, then shuts back off?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

if you have problems getting 2nd or 4th, then you need to tighten your trans brake band, start with three-eigths turn clock-wise. on '92-'94's, you can reach it from the engine bay with a 17mm wrench and an 8mm open end wrench. stand at the drivers side fender, and look on top of the transmission, just behind the dipstick tube. there it is.... don't be stupid and forget to mark the stud. use whiteout, a paint pen or something bright. you must mark the stud, nut and the transmission case for timing (how else would you know how far you have turned it, it is a bit under the tranny tunnel). on '90-'92 cars, you will need to remove the starter. one 14mm bolt on top, one nut on bottom and two wires.... the small wire slips off, the larger power wire requires a 12mm wrench....

btw, i have seen the page from an early fsm regarding brake band adjustment. it says to do it all from underneath.... break the exhaust at the y-pipe, remove the tranny x-member to body screws and lower the trannny, insert a 2x4 between the trans tunnel and the tranny tail housing to shove it to the passenger side....

yeah, right.... forget'about'it..... you wanna take those rusty exhaust screws loose... i didn't think so....
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

btw, go ahead and drain the transmission oil, then drop the pan while you have it on jackstands. replace the internal filter (it's just like a chevy turbo 350, make sure you get the old seal ring out of the tranny). evidently, these cars like to fuzz the internal friction discs and plug up the filters causing low pressure and clogging important oil galleys... for replacement fluid, buy at least 5 quarts of dexron III....

if you want to be a real hero, you can take 125psi worth of air, and a bucket at the return, then blow out the lines from the transmission, thru the radiator and back to the trans and bucket.... but that is only if you are a respectable mechanic....