Possible to buy a BOV for my stock turbo? 91 L 2.0T

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

keelhaul
First Gear

Post by keelhaul »

hello, dear forum-people.

this norwegian rascal has finally found himself a 91 L 2.0T wagon., in good shape, with 168k miles on it.
i must say, i thought it was a blow out valve on these, but from what ive read on these boards, there isnt.

i really want a turbo blowout-hiss on my car
is it possible to put on a blow out valve on these turbos? put it where the CBV is? :P hehe.

if not, which turbo is the easiest to buy and replace it with, without too much modding? i dont know any much about cars, yet.

(pics will come next week, havent picked it up yet)
1992 wagon ej20g
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Possible to buy a BOV for my stock turbo? 91 L 2.0T

Post by kimokalihi »

You can put a blow off valve on your turbo legacy to replace your stock bypass valve which recirculates the boost between shifts back into your intake just before the turbo.

There's really no benefit to this other than the sound you're after. I'm not saying it doesn't sound cool though.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
keelhaul
First Gear

Post by keelhaul »

thanks for the lightning-quick answer dude.

thats good news. i would be very. very thankful if you could provide me with a site who sells the valve.
i wont lose any boostpower if i do the replace?
1992 wagon ej20g
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nope, I don't believe so. I don't have any sites off the top of my head as I never planned on using a blow off valve on my car but there are others on here who have and might chime in with some suggestions on product.

I'm not sure which turbo your car has since it's not the same engine as ours but I know you can't go much bigger without bigger injectors and some form of engine management to control the bigger turbo and larger injectors.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

why spend the money on a bov that doesnt give u any power, and for the same price u can find a used downpipe that will give u power.

i picked up a brand new dp, and a used catback for 150 bucks. some bov costs more than that.

u really dont need a bov till ur around 300hp.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

You can get a cheap BOV/BPV on ebay... we should really see some pictures of your engine first to determine what you need. does the car have a Top Mount Intercooler already? If it doesn't then you're kind of limited to what you can do without modification. if it has the same charge pipe as our turbo legacy's have, then you would possible have to fabricate your own charge pipe. or find some sort of recirculating valve that looks similar to your factors valve...

get us some pics and we'll be able to get you goin somewhere...

Also if it doesn't have a top mount intercooler, get one. then your BOV options increase dramatically.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I think the US and canada are probably the only ones who didn't have an intercooler.
keelhaul
First Gear

Post by keelhaul »

aye, im getting the car on friday, so i will take a lot of pix for ya. its a very good lookin car. thanks for the help
1992 wagon ej20g
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'll throw my conjecture in the mix.

Personally, I would not run an atmospheric blow off valve. There's a couple reasons. The primary reason is that the engine management is MAF based, and when the BOV vents air to atmosphere, your engine will run rich. It may be a short time, but it's not right.

Additionally, by venting the boost back into the intake, it helps keep the turbo spooled a little. If you would like more noise, my suggestion would be to remove the snorkel in the fender, and if you have the resonator box between the intake box and turbo, remove it with a straight intake. With both of those done, you will most likely get the noise you want.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Legacy777 wrote:I'll throw my conjecture in the mix.

Personally, I would not run an atmospheric blow off valve. There's a couple reasons. The primary reason is that the engine management is MAF based, and when the BOV vents air to atmosphere, your engine will run rich. It may be a short time, but it's not right.

Additionally, by venting the boost back into the intake, it helps keep the turbo spooled a little. If you would like more noise, my suggestion would be to remove the snorkel in the fender, and if you have the resonator box between the intake box and turbo, remove it with a straight intake. With both of those done, you will most likely get the noise you want.
Took the words out of my mouth, then you reworded it a bit to make more sense and add reasoning behind it. Removing those makes it quite a bit louder, I've been meaning to get someone to drive my car past so I can see if I can hear it from the outside, but haven't yet.

Also an intake should make it louder, but do some reading on that too, another thing that can negatively affect the engine/performance
keelhaul
First Gear

Post by keelhaul »

here is the car im getting.

http://bil.autodb.no/autodb/view.wa2?Ad ... 1272141133

i cant fucking wait till friday!
1992 wagon ej20g
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

And that is the first chameleon painted legacy I've seen.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

kimokalihi wrote:And that is the first chameleon painted legacy I've seen.
Same. Doesn't look half bad either, looks like a pretty decent paint job, even got the door jambs which means they probably painted it right
keelhaul
First Gear

Post by keelhaul »

i have a question guys. sorry if im showing bad forum culture and not making a thread, but it feels silly to do that for all the q's i have in my head

when i get this car, how is the best way i can check that the AWD system works OK?
1992 wagon ej20g
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Legacy777 wrote:I'll throw my conjecture in the mix.

+1. I have removed my snorkus, and put in a silencer delete. This didn't make some crazy super cool BOV noise, but it did take out a few intake restrictions, causing better flow, and therefor more noise. I have also ran a BOV on my car, and I won't be doing it again until I get a standalone EM. As Josh said, it runs rich, I also noted that it idles like crap, and just plain runs like crap. Others say theirs runs fine with it, but I wont be putting one on for quite some time. i'm more focused on my car running well than the cool sounds it makes.
keelhaul
First Gear

Post by keelhaul »

interesting. thanks.

i agree with you, the car running optimal is better than sound :) i thought bov's was standard on all turbos, hehe.
2 more days, and im home with my "new" car
1992 wagon ej20g
i_c_the_light
First Gear

Post by i_c_the_light »

If you want one, sure knock yourself out. GFB make a couple that will fit the EJ20G.
1990 Legacy GT wagon. 100% JDM, 100% factory.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

keelhaul wrote:interesting. thanks.

i agree with you, the car running optimal is better than sound :) i thought bov's was standard on all turbos, hehe.
2 more days, and im home with my "new" car
Well, since no one stated it outright, our cars have bypass valves, it's essentially the same thing, it releases pressure, but it releases it back into the intake system instead of out into the air.

When I got the car I was considering getting a BOV too, even knowing that it wouldn't run quite as well, but once I took out the resonator box I don't feel like I need one, I get the sound anyway.

You can get an aftermarket BPV too, I don't know anything about them, but I'd assume they would be louder, and you wouldn't have the issue with running rich.
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

You can install and RECIRCULATE a Mitsubishi 1g factory blow off. I got mine on ebay for $20 shipped with the pipe and flange. You must recirculate it though, your car wont idle without it. I also did the turbo resonator delete, this was the best of the two mods as the tubo seemed to spool a bit faster. As for the BOV, I dont notice a difference. I only did it as I was told that the stock BPV cut out at 11 or 12 lbs and Im set at 13lbs. As for sound, remove the snorkus and pull the inner fender liner, you will hear the turbo quite well inside and out.
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

Another noob...Me.

What is a turbo resonator delete? How is it done? What does it do? Im sure that one of those will get me a duh answer but better to ask and know than assume that I do and find out I dont right.

THankx
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
crashnburn
First Gear

Post by crashnburn »

I have a HKS SSQV BOV and a Perrin recirc valve for sale pm me of your interested
91 Legacy SS 440s, vf39, FMIC, LSD, Revtronix Stage 2, MSD Coil
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

The resonator delete is a replacement pipe that just gives the air a quicker path to the turbo. I didn't tell a big difference in performance when i did mine. It just made the intake a tad louder. I have seen them made a couple of different ways, one is the pipe starts out at 2.5 in from the 90 deg inlet off the turbo and gradually gets bigger to 3 in where it joins the 90 deg off the air box. If you make it yourself you will need the outlets for the iac valve, boost control solenoid, and the inlet for the secondary purge valve line. I know at one point someone was making and selling them on here. They looked and worked great too. But these are for the 22ts, i don't know how the 20ts are.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

BoostedSubie wrote:But these are for the 22ts, i don't know how the 20ts are.
Unless he has the under the manifold intake, it should be the same.

I like my under the manifold setup :)
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Yes, I like the under manifold set up better too and want to swap manifolds on mine soon so I can have it setup that way. The way I have my fmic piping plumbed, the intake gets in the way. I'm going to wait until I swap in the TD04 though.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

BoostedSubie wrote:The resonator delete is a replacement pipe that just gives the air a quicker path to the turbo. I didn't tell a big difference in performance when i did mine. It just made the intake a tad louder. I have seen them made a couple of different ways, one is the pipe starts out at 2.5 in from the 90 deg inlet off the turbo and gradually gets bigger to 3 in where it joins the 90 deg off the air box. If you make it yourself you will need the outlets for the iac valve, boost control solenoid, and the inlet for the secondary purge valve line. I know at one point someone was making and selling them on here. They looked and worked great too. But these are for the 22ts, i don't know how the 20ts are.
Any chance I could get a link with pictures in it or a how-to? Sounds interesting but I guess I have alot to learn. One step at a time though
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)