Newb Owner

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Dubs2.2
In Neutral

Newb Owner

Post by Dubs2.2 »

Alright try to lay it out straight. I bought a 93 subaru legacy turbo wagon. Its got 170k and its auto. picked it up for $400 so i figured it was gonna be in horrible condition. Well i pull up and fire it right up no problem actually ran very very well i let it run for a little check things out at this time im thinking everything looks great i mean normal wear and tear.
Than the owner says you wanna take it for a spin and i then though What the hell it drives???? I hop in depress the brake pedal and just put it into the different gears. Thinking wow it seems great. Well put it back into D then proceed to pull out of driveway and the thing moves no problem no grinds noises. Until i turn the wheel left and the front passenger wheel sounded like it had a bad wheel hub... well i end up towing it to a shop to check it out and they call me back saying its the transaxle im thinking i didnt hear any trans noises and the initial problem was near the front passenger tire area of the vehicle.

Well im looking for a second on this i mean if it is the transaxle what are my options and where can i find parts??
Next is this guy giving me the run around?
much appreciated
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Re: Newb Owner

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

for 400 i'd take it anyway lol the engine alone is worth more then that. But yea do you know any people at the shop? take it somewhere else.
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
Dubs2.2
In Neutral

Post by Dubs2.2 »

See i dont personally know the guy who looked at it today the usual is out of town which could be my problem as the car drove fine. I am going to throw it in the air myself tomorrow have a buddy runs it through the gears while i check out the transaxle n check for noises.
I wouldn't doubt i run across nothing huge. But i do plan for the worse haha anyway any idea how to find a 4eat turbo?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Where are you located?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Did you drive it at all or hear the noise and stop?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Dubs2.2
In Neutral

Post by Dubs2.2 »

located in Salt Lake City, Utah

And i did drive the car. And straight on drove fine and the trans seemed fine. went into all gears smoothly and no clunks nothing so i figured it was fine and it had to be related towards the front passenger wheel because it felt like the wheel itself moved and stopped the vehicle. I then turned the wheel and reversed with the wheels straight and it drove again??
Dubs2.2
In Neutral

Post by Dubs2.2 »

I mean like previously stated cant really expect not to have to replace something for $400 I was planning on the 5mt wrx trans setup.
Just dinero at the moment keeping me from moving forward in that direction
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It really sounds like it might just be a bad axle. Usually it's because the boot ripped and it lost lubrication, but they can go without that happening.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Yeah, I'd say a CV joint from reading this... unless it's going into torque-bind, but you'll really know it when that happens, the whole car hops up and down. That would be a trans replacement. Put a 10A fuse in the small black box marked FWD on the firewall by the wiper motor, and drive it again... if it's smooth in front-drive mode, it's the tranny, if it's still grabbing it's just an axle.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Dubs2.2
In Neutral

Post by Dubs2.2 »

Well it didnt seem like to much of a bind but it did slow the vehicle. Im thinkin cv as well but with this guy telling me other wise got me second thinking. Maybe he's seeing dollar signs haha lame.
Well tomorrow morning i will try the fuse thing that is a good idea and i was actually looking at that little fuse today so ill check it and i got it on a lift and threw it in drive threw the gears again all 4 spinning free as a bird ha but really seems associated with the front end of the car.
ALthough would be good to know how complicating the 5mt swap is? I've been told atleast it bolts up have to do pedal assembly what electrical related goes on if any?
Dubs2.2
In Neutral

Post by Dubs2.2 »

Well got her in the air. Ran through gears and the two passenger side wheels would move when accelerating but no gas in drive and they stop seem to have a hard time spinning.
I bought some parts for a tune up on the motors.
Drained the trans fluid and its solid black But no metal which would mean no torn apart internals?
Sounds like something is wrong inside the trans now that im under it but not really a grind