whats an ideal set up? auto x legacy

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

speedmaxx
Second Gear

whats an ideal set up? auto x legacy

Post by speedmaxx »

so even with my rear sway bar i am experinecing a bit of push at the limits. I am running the rallitek ajustable rear sway bar set at 19mm with there aluminum endlinks and polybushings. my front bar is stock.

now from searching my front bar is 18mm stock, so tecnically I should be oversteering right? seeing as im running a larger rear bar. but im not. I get the last bit of puch at the limit. is this alright or should I stiffin the rear bar up a notch to 20mm?

I also want to upgrade my front endlinks to the whiteline steel ones, any real down side with the steel ones compared to the much more expensive aluminum ones?

also is it just worth whille to upgrade my front bar?

my current set up is
kyb gr2
H&R
rallitek rear bar with aluminum endlinks and poly bushings
rs adustable latteral links
front strut bar
215/40/17 bfgoodrich gforce sports
93 legacy l
to much to list....
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: whats an ideal set up? auto x legacy

Post by Legacy777 »

Hmmm....

I would probably suggest upgrading the front bar to help give you some front end grip. Also, with the upgrades you have, you souldn't have excessive understeer. It is possible that you may want to try and alter your driving style or line and see if that helps eliminate the understeer.

You're going to have some understeer just due to how these cars are setup.

Also, what are your tire pressures when you run?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

Kind of resurrecting an old post, but what the hell, I am on a posting rampage tonight.

Sounds like you are upgrading the right direction.

At one point, I had my 00 2.5RS handling really well. It has numerous regional STS wins under its belt (no championships, though). In its heyday, it had AGX's with stock springs, a 20mm rear bar, and whiteline steel endlinks (definitely get the front) F and R. It also had a somewhat aggressive alignment. This was the last mod, and it had the greatest impact on understeer. I ran -1.25 camber in front, and -.25 in rear, with 0 toe in front, and 3/32nds toe out in the rear. I only needed rear camber bolts to get those settings. In the rain, it could easily be tossed into oversteer at low speeds.

If you don't already have one, try a good alignment. The aftermarket rear bolts are $35 most places. I agree with Legacy777 that a front sway bar would help as well. In theory, a bigger front bar will make you understeer, but in practice they actually result in more front grip, especially on Subarus. Essentially, by keeping the car flatter in the corners, you lose less camber to body roll.

Stiffer springs might not hurt either. From what I understand, H+Rs are normally too soft for the amount they lower the car. The bumpstops are closer then you think!

All this talk of handling makes me wish I hadn't swapped all my goodies over to the Legacy! The stock RS springs are too soft and too low on the 300lb heavier car to make it handle anywhere near as well as the RS did.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I thought a bigger front bar will reduce understeer by providing more grip up front?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

I could have explained that better. Yes, Kimo, you are right. But why does a bigger front sway bar increase front grip? By limiting body roll and limiting camber loss, allowing the outside front tire to stay more square with the ground. It all comes down to the geometry of Macpherson strut suspension. If it wasn't 4am here, I would find some websites to show you what I mean.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

I have a tribeca 26mm fsb with whiteline end links and 22mm whiteline rsb with whiteline end links and it still pushes thru turns. I'm gonna put a 22 in front and stiffen the rear bar. This should let the front dig into the turn and let the ass end slide out easier.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

So how the hell do I get my car to stop understeering? It has a 20mm front WRX wagon swaybar and 20mm adjustable whiteline bar in the rear set to the highest setting. Sitting on Tein Type HT Gymkhana Master coilovers with I think -1.75 up front and -1 in the rear.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

So I ended up replacing my front end links weeks back and my god what a difference, my car is perfectly neutral for autocross, I also bumped my rear bar to 20mm. So if anyone is still experiencing push make sure you check your front endlinks!
93 legacy l
to much to list....
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks I will replace them.