The Fender Rolling Thread

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

The Fender Rolling Thread

Post by kimokalihi »

I am about to put 17x8 wheels with 225/45r17 tires on my legacy. Not only that but I just recently installed Tein coilovers and lowered the car all the way and now the tires are slightly tucked up in the wheel wells. It doesn't run one bit with the stock 195/60r15 tires but adding over an inch to the width of the tire and about .8" taller diameter is going to make them rub for sure.

The fenders will need to be rolled. I have a few questions on how this works.

Is the purpose of rolling your fenders to just flatten the lip of the fender in? Or is it also to bend the fender out?

It appears as if most shops are charging $50 per corner. Is that a typical rate? I'd rather not pay someone $200 just to roll my fenders when it seems to me like it would be pretty easy to do as long as you have some patience. The tool itself goes for $170-$270 online. Also too much to be spending on this. I'd rather try my luck with a baseball bat. I think you can also rent them. Anybody know where they rent the tool from and how much?

When rolling your fenders and bending in that lip I'm assuming you have to get rid of your fender liner right? Doesn't seem like it would still fit after that.

Here's a tutorial on the wooden baseball bat method:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... er+rolling
Last edited by kimokalihi on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: The Fender Rolling Thread

Post by kimokalihi »

I will post my results here after I either rent the fender roller, pay a shop (unlikely) or use a baseball bat and heat gun.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

i have a fender roller. its a bit of a process to roll fenders. thats why its $50 a fender. (its the labor involved per wheel) also when i roll fenders i roll them in. u only need to remove the rubber strip that goes around the lip. fender liner can stay. also make sure u have a heat gun to soften the metal and paint so it doesnt crack. ive rolled countless fenders and cant see the bat being that easy being u need alot of pressure to flatten the lip. besides, the roller makes it that much cleaner looking.
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

I just rolled my rear fenders with an aluminum bat and a travel hair dryer. It is not the easiest thing to do, but it works. You have to use your tire for leverage. I just bent the lip as close to flat as possible. You have to keep the paint heated if you don't want it crack. If you can rent a fender roller, I would.

As sqc151 said, for the rear you just have to remove the bit of rubber on that lip. It is The front is where your run into issues with the fender liner. I don't have a solution for that, but I don't recommend getting rid of it either.

sqc151, have you come up with a solution for the fender liner in the front?
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I never had a problem with paint cracking. It was a long damn time ago and a small operation, but IIRC, I might have used a block of wood and a hammer. I know I didn't roll it with a bat or similar.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

Honestly, that seems like a better idea. The paint WILL crack when using a bat (or a jack handle, did that once in a pinch), without a heat gun or hair dryer.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

Vandal_RS wrote:I just rolled my rear fenders with an aluminum bat and a travel hair dryer. It is not the easiest thing to do, but it works. You have to use your tire for leverage. I just bent the lip as close to flat as possible. You have to keep the paint heated if you don't want it crack. If you can rent a fender roller, I would.

As sqc151 said, for the rear you just have to remove the bit of rubber on that lip. It is The front is where your run into issues with the fender liner. I don't have a solution for that, but I don't recommend getting rid of it either.

sqc151, have you come up with a solution for the fender liner in the front?
ive never had a problem rolling the front. i have to do 2 more 91 SS's. when im done ill take pics and post here.
edgeofvamp
First Gear

Post by edgeofvamp »

I have seen people that roll the front fender, before it is completely flattened to the inside of the fender they put some kind of clips in and then just rivet or pin the fender liner to those clips.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

In NWIC on ebay, someone has the tool already kimo. I don't know his rate but it's shouldnt be as expensive as a shop.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Wish I would have gone that route or better yet just bought my own. Stupid speedware motorsports ripped me off and beat my fenders in with a hammer.
92.Legacy.SS
First Gear

Post by 92.Legacy.SS »

anyone do this yet i have rota rims that are 17x7.5 and im going to ru 225/45 tires and i know im going to need to roll my fenders in the rear but still need to know about the front since the liner is there and is it possible to heat the liner up and roll that with the front fender?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I wouldn't worry about the liner. If it rubs just cut a small piece of it out. Your tires will end up wearing a hole through it anyway if you don't and they rub. I would suggest renting a fender roller too.
92.Legacy.SS
First Gear

Post by 92.Legacy.SS »

yeah im not some strong black guy lol but ill see how close it is and just camber it some to compensate for the wheel poke if i have some or not but these rims/tires will be summer only