1995 legacy clutch help

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Bnut
In Neutral

1995 legacy clutch help

Post by Bnut »

Hi. I hope this isn't a bother to ask this.

I recently had my clutch replaced on a 95 Legacy L wagon. Granted the guy who replaced it is now in jail for being a general mess so he may have screwed it up.

Anyway, I'm having difficulty shifting between some gears from time to time. Last night I could only get it into 1st and 2nd (manual transmission).

I haven't smelled the clutch going at all and it was replaced just a few months ago and I've hardly driven the car.

Is it possible that he left something out of adjustment and it will be an "easy" fix by another mechanic or am I most likely screwed?

thanks

Brett
mike-tracy

Re: 1995 legacy clutch help

Post by mike-tracy »

Could be he didn't tighten the nuts on the clutch cable (no USDM 1995 Legacy came with hydraulic) and they came loose over time.

Another thing is, when was the last time the oil in the transmission was changed?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Bnut
In Neutral

Post by Bnut »

Thank you. I'll have a mechanic look at it on Monday. I hope it is simply tightening the bolt and/or refreshing the transmission fluid.

thanks

Brett
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

At what point in the pedal stroke does the clutch grab?
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If he dropped the transmission to do the clutch replacement he might not have hooked the shift linkage up correctly. That wouldn't be too hard to check.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Bnut
In Neutral

Post by Bnut »

Thanks all. Taking it in. I think he did pull the tranny. The clutch pedal is pretty far up before the car is in gear.