Need opinions - looking at buying a 93 L

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

grmorrow04
In Neutral

Need opinions - looking at buying a 93 L

Post by grmorrow04 »

So a previous 93 L I found was sold before I got a chance to look at it... and I just so happened to find another one.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=361725656

It looks to be in pretty good shape (I haven't seen it in person yet... I plan on going to look at it Saturday).

They want $2400(US) for it, which I think is crazy... it has over 148K, and I have no idea if the timing belt has been replaced yet, let alone how many miles are on the clutch (those are my biggest maintenance concerns).

Carfax report shows that it was in an accident on the right side back in 2/94, just a few months after it was purchased (7/93). It doesn't LOOK bad, but it's an accident non-the-less. I'll look at what I can when I check it out this weekend.

It is on a used car lot; KBB puts it at $2200(US) for this car on retail.

I was thinking about offering $1800(US) due to the unknowns (maintenance, accident damage, etc). Or should I go lower? I've never dickered for a car really (I've only bought my 05 LGT from a car lot and it was already a great price, all the other cars I've gotten were either brand new or private party sales).

What do you think?
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Re: Need opinions - looking at buying a 93 L

Post by n2x4 »

Hmmm.

It does seem very clean, but the price is VERY high especially for a FWD car.

Would you consider changing the timing belt yourself? If so, it wouldn't really worry me too much. The 2.2L in that car is non interference, so if it goes you just have to put a new belt back on. Really more of an inconvenience than a major selling point to me.
SUBARUEHS Racing
grmorrow04
In Neutral

Re: Need opinions - looking at buying a 93 L

Post by grmorrow04 »

Yeah, I feel the price is too high for sure.

I'm not too concerned about doing a timing belt... I've never done one, but it seems pretty straight forward. I've done engine swaps/rebuilds/auto->manual swaps, etc, so I'd consider myself fairly mechanically inclined :)

I plan on using it as a negotiating tool though; they don't know how mechanically inclined I am.