Getting into welding

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

corsair
Third Gear

Getting into welding

Post by corsair »

Hey ya'll, long time

I know that back in the day there were quite a few guys on here who were either welders by trade or had experience in it. Recently I've been working on a few projects for myself and friends (my Civic, a buddy's 914, and a baja prerunner) and I keep coming up on situations where I think to myself "man it'd be really cool if I could weld." So with that in mind, and some saved money from paychecks I've decided to get into it.

I can't go to a school due to the fact that I'm still working on an engineering degree and I have job commitments. So I was thinking of heeding a friend's advice and buying a welder and just going to town, that along with reading up and watching some technique videos is supposedly enough to build some proficiency.

So is that totally wrong or is it worth a shot? Also, if it's what I should do what's a good welder to buy? I was told an inexpensive MIG. I'd likely want to end up able to weld SS for exhausts, steel tubing for cages, some light bodywork stuff, and maybe eventually aluminum for IC/turbo piping.

Shortened Version: Is it worth it to try self taught welding? What's a good beginner welder?
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Re: Getting into welding

Post by 93forestpearl »

It's totally worth it to just dive into welding. Doing a lot of reading always helps too.

Starting out with a MIG welder is a good option. You can do all the mild and stainless steel you want. I weld all my hot piping with my MIG right now. Just get the right wire.

As far as MIG welders go, having infinite adjustment of your voltage and wire speed help in dialing the welder in to the material you are trying to weld. I get annoyed with the machines that only have four or five adjustments for voltage.

If you want to weld aluminum, you are looking at getting into a TIG welder. It is a lot more money, but you have more options on materials you can weld, along with the added control of a TIG welder.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

I would if I could. Im currently limited in the space I have to store things and work space so a welder and assorted gear are right out.

My friend told me the same thing. Get a welder. go out in your shop/garage/Kitchen(not advised for the married) whatever and start running beads on a metal plate. When you get something the looks decent try welding two plates together.
Dave

Post by corsair »

I can probably spend up to $600 on a welder. I saw a used Miller Millermatic 14000 for $600 locally on Craigslist with stand and bottle, otherwise I was thinking of a Hobart Handler 140 for about $480 new, which from my understanding is the same as the Miller but only has four voltage settings and no Autoset feature.

So that brings up the question, what's the deal with used welders? Are there specific things to look for, models to avoid?
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Home Depot actually has pretty good deals on Lincoln welders. Do yourself a favor and spend a couple bucks on a dedicated 220v outlet in your garage. You'll outgrow a 110v welder in no time.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

beatersubi wrote:Home Depot actually has pretty good deals on Lincoln welders. Do yourself a favor and spend a couple bucks on a dedicated 220v outlet in your garage. You'll outgrow a 110v welder in no time.
Thanks, I'll check Home Depot out. As for the electrical service, I'm converting a large storage shed into the shop. I need to check and see what amperage I have in my house's electrical service then I'll run hopefully at least a 70 amp subpanel in the shed. Also I need to check building codes, just realized that. Some lighting and ventilation will be done using active and passive solar so that will alleviate the overall load. It'll be used primarily for welding, one grinder, maybe a chop saw if I ever buy one, but nothing will be used concurrently.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Watch out for HD stuff. I don't know about the Lincolns, but the DeWalt stuff they sell is lesser quality to the DeWalt sold elsewhere and you can't get parts for them (HD editions have "special" serial numbers). Might not be that way with other brands and it might not matter to you, but just be aware that a lot of times there's a reason things are cheaper.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

Yeah I know that for instance Weber Grills at HD or Lowes carry a different model number from those sold at specialty grill stores and supposedly vary greatly in quality. I'm leaning towards purchasing the used Millermatic 140 nearby. It's something like $250 - $300 cheaper than new, comes with running gear and a bottle.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That sounds like a pretty good deal! That is probably what I'll be looking at getting once I get done with the current projects :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

definitely worth it to learn yourself. there are some books and things that are helpful but nothing beats practice and some solid guidance. what school can give you is to help to avoid developing bad habits as well as play with some bad ass tools. being a good welder is not just about making pretty welds more importantly it is about being able to measure, mark, cut, grind, with accuracy, understand warpage and how to counteract it, etc.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

My uncle welds exotic metals and it sounds pretty damn intense, especially with all the different grades and such. I'd be happy knowing steel and ecstatic to know how to do aluminum and afford a welder that can handle it.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Just saw this thread, and I agree with the "jump into it' attitude. I took a class at college which taught the general principles but I only used stick welders there. But I had enough confidence to jump to TIG. I'm self taught there and I can safely say that I'm doing well with it. It's so awesome to be able to fab stuff up when you need to. Also, get the biggest bottle you can afford at the time.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!