Brake and ABS Issues!

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Brake and ABS Issues!

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Today i replaced my rear brake pads. First time for me and it was real easy. After i was done i went for a test drive and found the pedal going to the floor. i also noticed a brake fluid trail going out of the drive way. After more inspection, i noticed where the fluid came from... somewhere out of the ABS unit next to my air filter. (refer to pic, upper left) http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/84660c9 ... f4e61e.jpg
-Where did i go wrong? was i suppose to have the cap off the master cylinder before pressing the caliper piston back in? now is that ABS unit screwed? or is this just an easy fix of bleeding the brakes to have my pedal go back to normal?
-Sorry if this is on the forum but any help is greatly appreciated!

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brake and ABS Issues!

Post by Legacy777 »

Joe,

That sounds kind of weird. I would start by trying to bleed the brakes and see if that does anything. Typically, it's probably a good idea to have the cap off the MC when you're pressing the caliper piston back in, but I don't think it's critical.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Thanks for the reply Josh, I appreciate it!
-It looked like it was coming out of the middle bolt area, where it is all greasy looking at the bottom middle of the pic. (refer to pic)
-I will try to bleed the brakes as soon as i get another hand to help me!
-Any more ideas, I'm all ears! And thanks again!
-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

My ABS unit is bleeding from those hex bolts too. where the threads shows in your picture. I wondering if its possible to repair this or having to find a replacement unit.
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

SiCkSTi04 wrote:My ABS unit is bleeding from those hex bolts too. where the threads shows in your picture. I wondering if its possible to repair this or having to find a replacement unit.
-well if you find out before i do, please let me know and i'll do the same for u if its not from here! hopefully i can find out very soon so i can get more work done on the car before the end of next month.
-Joe
cups303
In Neutral

Post by cups303 »

do you know exactly where its leaking at? is it the abs block or is it the hard line? you can put something on the brake to hold it and see where its leaking form. you might want to try and unscrew it and put yellow Teflon tape on the threads to try and seal it if its leaking from the hard line. depending on how it is constructed you might just have to replace the hard line or you may need to replace the whole abs block.
99 DOHC Neon Sport:SRT4 Turbo (TD04), SRT Stage 2 Injectors, Walbro 255, Megasquirt, Clutch Masters Stage 3, P&P Intake Manifold,60MM TB,Cut Shifter, 6000K H.I.D Conversion, Depo Stealth Black Headlights, Every Bolt on,
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

I believe he means the unit itself not the hard lines. I have circled the areas, red - My unit is leaking and Purple - I think where his is leaking.

-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

cups303 wrote:you might want to try and unscrew it and put yellow Teflon tape on the threads to try and seal it if its leaking from the hard line.
The brake lines seal on the flaring of the pipe. So adding teflon tape isn't going to help.

However if it's leaking elsewhere on the ABS unit, you may be able to replace a seal or something.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-yes that was correct. it is leaking from the purple circle. i will see if it is a seal or if the whole unit has to be replaced!
-Joe
cups303
In Neutral

Post by cups303 »

oh lol its been a while since i have looked under the hood of a tleg or worked on one since turbo meow got rid of his lol oops
99 DOHC Neon Sport:SRT4 Turbo (TD04), SRT Stage 2 Injectors, Walbro 255, Megasquirt, Clutch Masters Stage 3, P&P Intake Manifold,60MM TB,Cut Shifter, 6000K H.I.D Conversion, Depo Stealth Black Headlights, Every Bolt on,
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Spray oil all over the pump, and loosen the allen keys, then retighten them and reflush your brake fluid see how it goes.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

ericem wrote:Spray oil all over the pump, and loosen the allen keys, then retighten them and reflush your brake fluid see how it goes.
-I just went ahead and went to the junk yard and got another ABS unit and swapped them out. then I bled the unit. Tomorrow I'll bleed all 4 wheels and see if its good to go! (I only paid 3 bucks for it :) )
-Thanks for the info though. could of saved a trip to the junk yard!
-Joe