Snapped a strut bolt

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Shaggy
First Gear

Snapped a strut bolt

Post by Shaggy »

So I snapped a strut bolt today on the front driverside. It was one of the three on top. How safe is it to drive like this?
90 2.2 N/A legacy awd wagon with outback struts.
macipusy
Third Gear

Re: Snapped a strut bolt

Post by macipusy »

Probably ok if you drive nice and easy. I would replace the top hat as soon as you can. Those nuts are only like 12 ft/lbs of torque.
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

I disagree, I believe it is perfectly fine to drive around on only 2. The fact that they are only supposed to be tightened to 12ft/lbs proves this in a way. Many cars only have two (including the 08+ WRXs in the rear), and some only have one (old MkI and MkII VWs), although that is not really relevent. They are only needed when the car comes off the ground and you run out droop travel, like when you are jacking it up (or jumping it, if you are into that kind of thing). At all on other times, the weight of the carI drove around for two years with a front stud snapped off my left front mount in 00 2.5RS. The car was jacked up and down a LOT in that time period. I am almost positive at least once the front wheels came off the ground with the car in motion, as well, not that I recommend that.

And you don't need to replace the strut mount (the top hat is the metal piece that, along with the perch on strut, actually holds the spring). You can buy replacement studs from paranoid fabrications.

http://www.camotoy.com/products/saggybutt/index.php (half way down the page)

They say they are for 02-07 Legacys, but they will fit. You can email the guy if you want to be sure.

Vance
Last edited by Vandal_RS on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah but cars that only have 2 have them directly across from each other. Having only 2 of 3 makes it a lot weaker because they're offset meaning there will be leverage and you may eventually snap the other two.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

Your right, the geometry is not same, and it is really not a great argument. But my point is the part is not under stress, the other two will not snap off. Those bolts are only necessary at all when you run out of droop travel, and 2 is more then enough to get the job done. Look at the size of those studs? Do you think a stressed part of any kind would use studs that are a 1/4" thick and can be snapped off with a 3/8" wratchet? Believe me, you are fine.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

These bolts also provide and keep correct alignment of the strut top, and ultimately the strut.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

I have new struts. My were horrible anyways so I got some 98 outback struts. The fronts are on but I'm having an issue getting the tophats of the rears.
90 2.2 N/A legacy awd wagon with outback struts.