Best place to buy struts?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Shaggy
First Gear

Best place to buy struts?

Post by Shaggy »

I want to buy some 98 outback struts for my 90 wagon. I haven't been able to realy find much except for eBay. I want to buy the strut and spring already assembled. Does anyone know where some good places to get struts. Or should I just go to napa and get them?
90 2.2 N/A legacy awd wagon with outback struts.
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Re: Best place to buy struts?

Post by Vandal_RS »

If you want to buy them pre-assembled, really your only option is the used market. It is not too much more work to take care of that on your own though. You can rent spring compressors from just about any major parts store, and only pay a refundable deposit. Check shox.com, tirerack.com, and... I can't think of anymore.

Good luck,

Vance
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Shaggy wrote:I want to buy some 98 outback struts for my 90 wagon. I haven't been able to realy find much except for eBay. I want to buy the strut and spring already assembled. Does anyone know where some good places to get struts. Or should I just go to napa and get them?
You might have better luck on the sl-i.net forum
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

So the stealership told me 325 for all four used. I think I'm gona go with that.
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

How used is used? Struts are definitely a wear item. For not a lot more, you could get brand new KYB GR2's. I would recommend that.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

Ya I could but that's just the price for the struts and the top hats and springs. I just called my local junkyard and they told me 180 for all four. I do have a question about the top hats though. Are they an item that wears out? I'm going to have to put he top hat for my original struts on the new ones for the rear.
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

The strut mounts are a wear item to some extent. The bearing inside them can wear out, and the rubber can fall apart. They will clunk when you turn or sometimes when you hit bumps if they are bad. They normally last much longer then struts, and a bad one won't affect you the way a blown strut will. Most likely you will be fine to use your original strut mount.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

$180 for used is expensive. I just sold 04 STI struts complete for $200. I bought them for $250. Junkyard around here it would be $100 tops.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

I ended up gettin em for 30 a piece for the rears and 40 a piece for the front.
baltimore
In Neutral

Post by baltimore »

I did mine last weekend ordered for 96 outback new gr2s, struts and front mounts from kyb outlet. from Subaru parts for you ordered springs , spacers rubbers gaskets for perches and rear top hats for 90 legacy they didn't fit the springs luckily a advanced auto in the area [not my local one go figure] had top hats for 96 outback,
my plan was assemble all the struts then start on the car the fronts were a bitch to put together rears pretty easy i figured out with the spring compressor don't be skerd it will twist and strain and you ratchet your ass off
I drilled a hole for the different rear top hat and thought i could put the strut in but you cant get it lined up right , I ended up taking one of the rear struts back apart and used the top hat for a temp let for both sides you only have to slot all the holes about a half inch isn't to bad a descent fender washers over the holes and Iam not to worried wont believe the height difference If you don't plan on getting rid of the car soon new is the way to go
i couldn't bring my self to doing all this work it takes some time[ my first ] and not putting on new stuff the ride is great Iam happy when i get the credit card paid down tires and rims are next the space in the fender wells with the stock 14 inch rims looks like i could put 22"s on it :lol:
Gray Ghost
In Neutral

Post by Gray Ghost »

baltimore wrote:I did mine last weekend ordered for 96 outback new gr2s, struts and front mounts from kyb outlet. from Subaru parts for you ordered springs , spacers rubbers gaskets for perches and rear top hats for 90 legacy they didn't fit the springs luckily a advanced auto in the area [not my local one go figure] had top hats for 96 outback,
my plan was assemble all the struts then start on the car the fronts were a bitch to put together rears pretty easy i figured out with the spring compressor don't be skerd it will twist and strain and you ratchet your ass off
I drilled a hole for the different rear top hat and thought i could put the strut in but you cant get it lined up right , I ended up taking one of the rear struts back apart and used the top hat for a temp let for both sides you only have to slot all the holes about a half inch isn't to bad a descent fender washers over the holes and Iam not to worried wont believe the height difference If you don't plan on getting rid of the car soon new is the way to go
i couldn't bring my self to doing all this work it takes some time[ my first ] and not putting on new stuff the ride is great Iam happy when i get the credit card paid down tires and rims are next the space in the fender wells with the stock 14 inch rims looks like i could put 22"s on it :lol:
This makes my eyes hurt.