Good rally/mud tires?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

James614
Fourth Gear

Good rally/mud tires?

Post by James614 »

Looking to do some mudding in my TW at a local mud pit, see if I can't embarass a few trucks (they sink down and need to power through nearly 2ft of it, I ride on top and get stuck simply because my all-season tires get clogged and go slick real quick).

Taller tires are bad, because I can't afford to loose torque to taller gearing. So it looks like rally tires are my way to go. Anyone know what I should look for? Hankook Ventus R201s look cool, but who's a reputable and fair reseller?

Even if the mud thing doesn't work out, I'll have some awesome tires for the local forest :-)

Edit after lots of google: Are rally tires even sold in the US at all?
GClark
First Gear

Re: Good rally/mud tires?

Post by GClark »

I love my General Grabbers A/T2 . They handle great on and offroad. I would stay away from rally tires; they wear really fast if you drive them on tarmac.
1994 Legacy Touring Wagon
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Do they make Grabbers in sizes smaller than 27"?

These tires would be mounted on dedicated 15" Outback rims, and changed out exclusively for weekend fun.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Swampers work.

27x9.50 :-D

94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Must be nice having 4x4 low range :p

Big tires will just sink me down further(more wieght), and I really need as much torque at the wheels as possible. That's why I'm looking at rally tires in close to stock size instead of truck MT or AT tires.

Also, I have no plans to lift this car, so anything over 26" won't really fit (unless someone can show me a BJ with 27" swampers and no lift).
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I don't have any good suggestions on tires. If you're looking for just a mud tire and minimal tarmac use I would look towards a non-studded snow tires. Large tread and fairly open. They're also readily available for 15" rims.

Be careful going the route of an actually rally tire. True rally tires are designed to sweep away gravel and actually dig down to the harder surface underneath. I'd be nervous that in mud they may just dig you a nice hole....

My .02 on the matter atleast.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

I like Winterforce tires, made by Firestone. They are cheap, do really well off road/mud, and of coarse AWESOME in snow! They are a dedicated snow tire and are pretty soft, so they do not last more than two years if you run 'em year round(half tread is damn near useless in snow). I'd bet I've done more mud (not just muddy puddles) in Legacies than anyone else here. I'd love to try some Swampers though!

On the other hand, gravel eats 'em up pretty fast too. I really like me some rallying! I guess I'm pretty damn hard on tires! :lol:
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I never seriously thought about snow tires. That'd be A LOT cheaper than the Yokohama Advan A031 mud stage rally tires I was looking at (nearly $1000 shipped for 4.... OUCH!!!).

Those Yokohama's aren't a gravel tire and look like they'd grab the mud pretty well. But snow tires are cheaper enough that I can ninja a set without setting off the wife alarm. So I'll give those a try in the meantime.
QueensNYgtsu
In Neutral

Post by QueensNYgtsu »

James614 wrote:
Those Yokohama's aren't a gravel tire and look like they'd grab the mud pretty well. But snow tires are cheaper enough that I can ninja a set without setting off the wife alarm. So I'll give those a try in the meantime.
several of my friend's have become very skilled ninjas, they occasionally have items shipped to my house.
99 XLT Ranger 4.0 SOHC Swap, Pacesetter Headers, Magnaflow exhaust, K&N intake 4.10 8.8 rear, bilsteins
02 KTM EXC supermoto'ed 250 2 Stroke, Street Legal
________
00' GT BH
Various Foreign/Domestic
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Whoa! Dude just joins the site and throws out some great advice. Props to you, sir. How many wives would even notice a different set of tires once they're on the car? In a bind, you could even say you were driving, got a puncture, and had to replace them all because it's AWD.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
QueensNYgtsu
In Neutral

Post by QueensNYgtsu »

evolutionmovement wrote:Whoa! Dude just joins the site and throws out some great advice. Props to you, sir. How many wives would even notice a different set of tires once they're on the car? In a bind, you could even say you were driving, got a puncture, and had to replace them all because it's AWD.
My buddy is a mechanic, and a good subbie mechanic,at that so he knows and works on cars for subbie fanatics, (like myself). Anyways one of the guys he knows sent his wife and kids to Lithuania to visit the family. While they were gone he ordered and had delivered a JDM STI Version 8 swap. Ninjas prefer to take delivery of pallets of performance parts to the home, while wife is away.
99 XLT Ranger 4.0 SOHC Swap, Pacesetter Headers, Magnaflow exhaust, K&N intake 4.10 8.8 rear, bilsteins
02 KTM EXC supermoto'ed 250 2 Stroke, Street Legal
________
00' GT BH
Various Foreign/Domestic
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

QueensNYgtsu wrote:Ninjas prefer to take delivery of pallets of performance parts to the home, while wife is away.
:lol:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

QueensNYgtsu wrote: My buddy is a mechanic, and a good subbie mechanic,at that so he knows and works on cars for subbie fanatics, (like myself). Anyways one of the guys he knows sent his wife and kids to Lithuania to visit the family. While they were gone he ordered and had delivered a JDM STI Version 8 swap. Ninjas prefer to take delivery of pallets of performance parts to the home, while wife is away.
:smt023
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

James. Used rally tires are cheap, and will hold up to abuse much better than thin side wall snows, but rally tires are bad in snow because they are actually really soft, so you need to keep that in mind. Check out the regional forum at specialstage.com and see if anybody around you has some used rally tires, or even used mud rally tires, which have big spaces between the blocks. I recently scored some used rally tires for 10 a piece.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

10$/each?!?!?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have yet to see a deal like that pop-up recently, but thanks a bunch, I'll hold off on the snows and watch it like a hawk. It's worth the wait if I can get actual rally tires for cheaper than snow tires.

And about them not being good in snow, I've heard it's because the compound gets really hard in freezing temps. I'd think being really soft would help out a bunch in the snow (snow tires are much softer than all-seasons).
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.