Different oil pans?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

FrozennorthLGT
In Neutral

Different oil pans?

Post by FrozennorthLGT »

Does anyone know if the earlier 91 flat bottom oil pan is interchangeable with the later 92+ rounded bottom pan. My 92 ej22t has the earlier style pan, but its going to need a new one shortly and the later style ones are much cheaper.
2005 Legacy GT Sedan 5EAT
1992 Legacy SS 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Different oil pans?

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

The newer pan probably will work, but the part numbers superceed to different part #'s. The 90-93 (mid year) superceed to 11109AA053 and (mid year) 93-94 superceed to 11109AA093.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
FrozennorthLGT
In Neutral

Post by FrozennorthLGT »

Huh, my books/computer at work (advance auto) show the flat bottom in 91, the rounded and flat, switching after 5/92 in 92 (my cars titled year, even though it was made 8/91...lol), and only the rounded after that. I read on here somewhere that people like to use the rounded pan because it holds a bit more oil. Also that the only real thing you have to worry about with subaru pans is the pickup. Would the pick up's be the same for those two? The flat bottom pan is almost $80 and the rounded one is $50, and this is my girlfriends beater car so I dont want to pour to much cash into it if I can save a bit.
1992 Legacy SS 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Model year 93's are typically made the previous year. So your info is correct.

The oil pick up shows the same part # for all model years, so the rounded one should work.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
FrozennorthLGT
In Neutral

Post by FrozennorthLGT »

Thank you for your help sir...when it comes time to replace it thats what I will do. Any reason not to use the cork gasket I keep seeing for sale instead of just RTV like the factory one?
1992 Legacy SS 4EAT
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I never used the cork gasket. Never trusted it.....

I ran into fitment issues with the oil cooler on my '91 when the guy that rebuilt my motor used the cork gasket (the pan was held down too far, and kept the cooler from seating properly).
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

the 2.2 oil pan is assembled new with only RTV. no point in putting a cork gasket in a place that factory deemed unnecessary. besides, cork gaskets allow screws to lose preload and voila, you gots yourself a leaker!!!