Emergency!! tranny binding when rolling straight!!

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ericem
Fifth Gear

Emergency!! tranny binding when rolling straight!!

Post by ericem »

Hey guys, I have my car parked at my friends house trying to figure out wtf happened, but when the car is rolling it is binding, locking up, and bucking! Its reallly bad, it happened all of a sudden as well, I can't even tell if my awd still works because it is very scary when I accelerate!

Its a 94 SS auto, quiete a few months ago replaced the tranny and the transfer case, however the awd is very delayed and possibly could have shocked it. Is it possible the transfer case broke like the gears etc?? I really need to get this fixed ASAP had a long road trip planned even bought new brakes and booked a alignment :(

I can get the car towed thinking ill use a friends shop and take apart the transfer case I have a parts tranny I can get from a friend. Hoping it is just the transfer case.

Any other suggestions or opinions to help get this resolved BEFORE friday night would be WELL appreciated!!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
skid542
Fifth Gear

Re: Emergency!! tranny binding when rolling straight!!

Post by skid542 »

Really silly question because I don't the internal structure of the auto's very well, but, can you just put the FWD fuse in?

I wouldn't trust it for a road trip but it may get you home to your shop.

When you say binding, I assume it's jerky and not just stiff resistance. Have you been hitting the transmission hard recently or really working the AWD?
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Re: Emergency!! tranny binding when rolling straight!!

Post by ericem »

Ya I tried the fwd fuse found it was indeed the front diff :(

Regardless replaced the tranny with one from a legacy that was working and now it won't work meaning won't engage at all R, D 123 nothing even reving it. Filled it with oil not sure if I messed up when I installed the torque converter? Now where should I start?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)