2001 forester vlsd to 3.9 legacySS conversion questions etc

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

2001 forester vlsd to 3.9 legacySS conversion questions etc

Post by Bheinen74 »

Got a vlsd rear diff today off a 2001 Forester, and going to do the steps to convert to my 94SS.

1. I need to take the center guts out of the Forester case, take the 3.9 ring gear off my 944SS, and bolt to the guts, then reinstall in the Legacy SS case, that way ring gear and pinion gear are paired back.

-my question will be, do i keep the bearings on the guts of the vlsd chunk, or do i need to swap side retainer bearings.

2. I need to source some 95-99 Legacy, outback, whatever rear axles to make this work right? The Forester vlsd has no stubs, the stubs are part of the axle, and i understand the 95-99 has stub also built into the axle.

-my question, what exact model years of those 95-99 should I go look for (the forester axles are like 4.5 hours away one way i aint going back for them, but have lots of legacys in the JY near me close....
-second question to this part: my rear axles in my 94SS are superb condition, can i frankemate the inner cups from a 95-99 to mine so i dont have to remove the honking big axle nut at the end...just reboot with a big hose clamp after the inner cups are swapped, or is there something about the 94SS outer axle that wont mate to the newer style inner with stub?

3. Think thats about it, this will not happen for a few weeks, i gotta take a lift kit off my BRAT first......

4. ? Someone off the bbs. near KC just wreck the front of a 93 legacy?, it had one god jdm passenger headlight (now mine), the left was smashed from the wreck, and it had a STi factory exhaust on it.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2001 forester vlsd to 3.9 legacySS conversion questions

Post by Legacy777 »

I can't help you, but here's a bump and hopefully someone else can.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Re: 2001 forester vlsd to 3.9 legacySS conversion questions

Post by n2x4 »

Bheinen74 wrote:Got a vlsd rear diff today off a 2001 Forester, and going to do the steps to convert to my 94SS.

1. I need to take the center guts out of the Forester case, take the 3.9 ring gear off my 944SS, and bolt to the guts, then reinstall in the Legacy SS case, that way ring gear and pinion gear are paired back.

-my question will be, do i keep the bearings on the guts of the vlsd chunk, or do i need to swap side retainer bearings.
Your assembly is correct. My only question/concern is if the diff cases are the same design ( both differentials have 5 bolts on each end cap, correct? There were some diff's that used a screw on end cap that is not interchangeable.)

As far as reusing the bearings or not, it's up to you. Really doesn't matter. Personally I'd buy all new bearings - Autozone has them pretty cheap. You're going to need to check the backlash when you reassemble anyways, reusing bearings or not. So the only thing you'll save yourself in the long run is maybe $20.

RS25 had a pretty good thread about swapping diffs and ring gears. I suggest reading it over. Most of what's in the thread is applicable to you.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/99509-d ... lsd-2.html

As far as the axles go, I don't know the exact years. I've never created a hybrid CV either, so again sorry :-(
SUBARUEHS Racing