No Power to my Igniter...

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Jessekrs123
First Gear

No Power to my Igniter...

Post by Jessekrs123 »

I just got back from school and went to test my car because I recently lost spark.

Tested for spark again and nothing.

First I tested the igniter, and come to find out, I am getting no power to my igniter with the ignition on.

My mother owns a 1995 Legacy and I tested out her connector and she is getting power to the first two terminals (red and blue wire) with the ignition on, but my car is not.

I checked out the igniter ground to a body ground and that checked out, so the igniter is grounded.

Would this mean that my ignition relay is going out? I just replaced the blower motor relay which is right next to the ignition relay according to my Haynes book, I attempted to find the ignition relay, but from what I can see it is a major PITA to get to. Could anyone confirm this please or lead me in the right direction?? Thanks
2015 Subaru BRZ
1993 Subaru Legacy Sedan 5 Speed FWD Green (EG33 swap in progress)
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Re: No Power to my Igniter...

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Ok, something very strange just hapenned.

I got power to my igniter and I tried to start and it would not go.

I noticed for some odd reason that when I unplugged my IACV, I could hear the relays clicking and the injectors priming as if I had just turned the key to on.

I left the IACV unplugged and my car started right up, accept it idled like crap.

I went to go plug the IACV connector back in expecting the car to lose spark again, but I didn't lose spark, the car idled like it should and now it is running fine.

What in god's name could cause no spark unless the IACV is unplugged upon starting, but when I plug the IACV back in the car runs fine? From what I believe, I am looking into some major electrical issues here.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Ecu is messed? or loose connection at other sensors on the harness?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

ericem wrote:Ecu is messed? or loose connection at other sensors on the harness?
I am looking for a new ECU because all of my grounds, connector grounds and all check out good. It HAS to be the ECU. All connections are in there good too.

No power to the igniter only during cold starts with the IACV plugged in, so no spark.

If I unplug the IACV before a cold start, igniter gets power and I can start the car.

Once the car is running, I plug the IACV back in and the car runs fine.

If I start the car and it is still warm, I do not have to unplug the IACV to get it started.

Effing electrical nightmare.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Are all your grounds and connections good by multimeter or by eye? You may just put in another ecu and have the same result,these issues are not typically ecu problems.The ecu is just a big calculator under the dash.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

gijonas wrote:Are all your grounds and connections good by multimeter or by eye? You may just put in another ecu and have the same result,these issues are not typically ecu problems.The ecu is just a big calculator under the dash.
Yes, all grounds test out anywhere between .3 ohms and 0 ohms, so the grounds are good.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan