Camshaft Timing Alignment problem

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CFK
Second Gear

Camshaft Timing Alignment problem

Post by CFK »

Hi, just got the car and decided to replace the cam, oil pump seals, TB, WP, idler bearings & Tensioner pulley.
Aligned timing marks before disassembly and as soon as I removed the TB, the right camshaft sprocket turned clockwise out of alignment.

It easily can be hand turned 40 degrees in the same direction (CW) that it went out of alignment, till pressure starts building, but when turned back the other way (CCW) to set it to the mark it just springs back the same way (CW).

Is this normal and if so how do I align it. Never worked on an engine with rocker arms before :?:
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Re: Camshaft Timing Alignment problem

Post by CFK »

Oh, and before I started the work I did a Compression test and on cylinders 1&3 it was 142 PSI and the plugs had a oilly/gas like mixture on them. 2&4 had 148 PSI and were clean & dry.

Haynes ( :roll: ) said the specs should be between 142-170 PSI

I think I need the dealer service manual.
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

A worn cam lobe :?:

I can't believe you have to remove the head to take out the camshaft. I assume you can remove the VC & rocker assembly to inspect the camshaft :?:

Im just staring at this thing not knowing what to do, replying to my own thread, LOL. PLEASE HELP !!!

These rocker arms are scaring me and now I really want DOHC heads :-D To bad the heads would probably be worth more than the car.
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

To answer you about the alignment.It is totally normal for the sprocket to spring around once the belt is off.I wont go into detail as the forum already contains enough of the info.

read here.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... iming+belt

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... imingbelt/

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_4984.JPG

BTW rocker arms are simple and most engines have them,dont worry about that.Also I have never tried it but you should be able to remove the cams in car,again never done it.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Perfect thanks, I guess it just felt weird since the drivers side is more difficult to turn and the passenger side quite easy. but that is a relief. I just found a similiar thread on USMB stating that you just need a second pair of hands to hold the pulley in place while installing the belt.

Another said that he used clamps to hold the belt in place on the crank and other cam pulley and slipped it on that one last.

Thanks for the help and the links, looks way better than following the haynes !!!
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Yeah haynes sucks.And i second the mention of using clamps or vise grips to keep the belt in position,works nice.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

So I just went back and slid the crank sprocket on and whoever worked on it previously used the arrow on the front to align it with the oil pump hash for what they thought was TDC and made there own marks on the cam and crank pulleys. Wrong :!:

Therefore confusing the sh :!: t out off me, now that I realigned all of the proper factory markings the cam pulley sits aligned just fine.

So basically I shouldn't have gone off marks that someone had previously made and just re-set them to the factory marks :oops:
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Well, now that I got that confusion sorted it was extremely easy to put the rest back together.

Only 1 more ?

I couldn't remember ever taking off a timing belt guide, don't think I lost one. Are those only on the later or 2.5 motors ?
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

There is no timing belt guide. Only idlers, tensionor, crank sprocket and cam gears.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

gijonas wrote:Yeah haynes sucks.And i second the mention of using clamps or vise grips to keep the belt in position,works nice.
The Home Depot has awsome little clips in the tool department that are coated in a plastic on the ends, best part is they only cost like $.79 each!!!
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Good stuff, I didn't think so. We're already re-assembled and once I lined up the factory marks everything stayed in place and the belt went on just fine, everything stayed still. Just gotta throw the rad fans and stuff back in and i'll fire her up !!!

Thanks for everybody's help. As soon as I get back from Cuba I will be getting the TMIC, FCR, MBC and she'll be the nicest " Winter Beater " ever.
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

FWIW, I use office-style black metal clips when doing timing belt stuffs. They work pretty well and are readily available.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

aahhh, bulldog clips. that would work great. Good idea.

Seems to be alot of PNW subie owners. I always travel to shows and cruises in Washington in my VW & Audi, might have to switch it up and bring the Subie !!!

Baker meet , stevens pass perhaps !!!
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily