Looking for Bull Bar for 1990 Legacy wagon

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
scottahicks
In Neutral

Looking for Bull Bar for 1990 Legacy wagon

Post by scottahicks »

I am looking for either a bull bar or some good high resoloution photos of an existing one that is mounted so I can fabricate one myself.

I would like to put some lights up front and have snowbank protection
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Re: Looking for Bull Bar for 1990 Legacy wagon

Post by beatersubi »

I've been thinking about making one, myself. Where are you located? I could be easily talked into making two, if shipping isn't an issue.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

I would be interested in purchasing one for my SS if it looked like it was meant for the car, not some big monstrous thing, and it would protect for deer..... kinda like the brushgaurd on my BRAT, needs to attach into the bumper beam for solidness.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
92legacy-sti
First Gear

Post by 92legacy-sti »

Here is one I photoshopped awhile back. I was going to build it this summer, but never got to it.

1992 Legacy. 142,000 miles.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Not on a Legacy, but it might help you figure out how to mount it. Found this in a junkyard, almost bought just to modify it to fit, when I came back for it it was gone though. You can kinda see on the right side how it's mounted, there's a traingular plate that goes up 6 inches or so and is mounted vertically to the chassis.

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I would probably go through the bumper beam. I would guess you'd want some side protection, so what I would do is drill holes through the front and rear of the beam for the pipes and weld the circumferences, maybe even weld a plate over the rear hole if you're really into overbuilding. I'd build it something like the PS one, but with the side wings, so you'd have four pipes welded within the beam. You can also come down underneath to meet the frame rails, but they're about the same height as the beam anyway. Yeah, you could bring them down, chop up the inner front panels, and bring them back to meet the frame as a reinforcement, but IMO that's serious overkill and little help as the impacts you're primarily looking to protect from would be higher up, thus its additional strength would be little help. Either way, fitting the cover back on after would be ugly and lacking in fun. I suppose you could cut the cover to fit it around the bars and then plastic weld the installation cutouts back on, sand, paint, etc. Another thing to consider (and something I've thought of), especially if you forego the bumper cover, is to modify the beam to be attached with the kind of shock absorbers the impact bumpers of the old metal-bumper GLs (like the one above) had. I used to hit all kinds of things, some at a decent speed, in the GLs without a problem. And with the rubber-covered overriders, I could push people that took up two spots in Boston without leaving a tell.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Good ideas, all! Keep 'em coming. If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or examples to submit, please do so.
This thread has some good ideas, but most are not structural.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.