awd not kicking in-halp!

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

reddragons
In Neutral

awd not kicking in-halp!

Post by reddragons »

okay. i have a 94 legacy turbo. 198k. runs great. trans works as usual, etc....

except, awd not kickin on in low speeds. i have the rs25.com torquemada lite mod (awd 50-50 on/off switch)

when i switch it, it works fine. back end kicks in, no problems, so i'm not convinced the center diff (mp transfer clutch) is borked. it has to be something with the computer maybe. i dunno.

i really gave it a go here too, my driveway is pretty much ice, plenty of time to slip/engage awd....

any ideas?

edit: yeah, just went out. even at up to 20 mph, 4k+ rpm's no kick in. one time it did. you can tell too, it has a definite clunk, and the back pushes out a hair if you're on it enough...
hmmmmm........ 94 turbo legacy maroon.

1995 impreza L sedan-r.i.p.
1997 cav z24 (seized the motor)
vroom vroom party starter!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: awd not kicking in-halp!

Post by Legacy777 »

So engaging the switch makes the AWD kick in?

Try putting the gear selector in the 1 or 2 position and see if that makes any difference.

You may have worn clutch packs and under the "normal" operating pressures/conditions in the trans, there's not enough friction material left on the clutches to engage the AWD.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
reddragons
In Neutral

Post by reddragons »

Legacy777 wrote:So engaging the switch makes the AWD kick in?

Try putting the gear selector in the 1 or 2 position and see if that makes any difference.

You may have worn clutch packs and under the "normal" operating pressures/conditions in the trans, there's not enough friction material left on the clutches to engage the AWD.
that's kinda what i'm thinking. drove to work today. it will kick on, but it takes a bit of slip, and then t hits hard when it does usually. sometimes softer. yes the switch makes it engage and then works just fine.

is that something in the center diff that can be replaced? what the average cost? thanks 777!

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You can remove the rear tail housing and replace the clutch packs.

I seem to recall there being a thread where someone took pictures of replacing the clutch packs or duty c solenoid. Maybe someone else will see this thread and point us to that thread with the pictures.

As for cost, I'm not sure.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
reddragons
In Neutral

Post by reddragons »

there was one on ebay (used) for 75 shipped. from a 98 legacy. probably would've been from a 2.2 or early 2.5 i guess, but not sure what else is different from one to the next. you know, things like # of splines, etc

canubaru
In Neutral

Post by canubaru »

the pic below shows the transfer clutch which is in the rear extension housing on the rear of the trans. there are clutch plates inside the drum and and a matching drum on the rear of the trans that slides into the one you see. and the doodad with the green wire is the duty-c solenoid.
failure to engage could be grooves worn into the drums, or gummed up plates, or busted drum, or ..... or a fuse in the FWD socket.

reddragons
In Neutral

Post by reddragons »

update: seems to be better when i use the car more, or really when it's warmed up it kicks in a lot better. almost like normal. is it supposed to work that way? like how it won't go into overdrive 'til it's warmed up enough?

ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

When you use the switch it doesn't need to instantly adjust it is already fully locked, but when the wheels slip usually the ecu has to adjust the duty cycle of the solenoid and if there is a solenoid, valve body(in the transfer case), or clutch pack issue it will be delayed!

You can try a tranmission oil change as well as a bottle of trans-x.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
reddragons
In Neutral

Post by reddragons »

^^ yah, i might try that. can't hurt too much anyway. is that trans-x any good? i think this pring when the weather comes around i'll change out the tranny fluid and filter, and front and rear diff oil...