2.2 na turbo'd but still having problems

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

greenbeen
In Neutral

Post by greenbeen »

hello
i have a project that i have been working on for the last three months. i have a rail buggy that i transplanted a 2.2 na subaru engine out of a 93 legacy. i have got all of the wiring and installation done. i decided to turbo it while i was doing the install. i finally got it all put together last week and fired it up. the engine ran fine. i took it out for a ride and it ran great. but the next day i took it out and it started choking and sputtering as soon as i put it under a load. i did some checking and it didnt throw a code, so i bypassed the turbo and hooked it up naturally aspirated again and the engine ran fine with no problems. so i figured out it was the maf. what im wondering is, for all of the people turboing 2.2 n/a's. what are you doing for maf's? im not sure to maybe try a 2.2t maf. i know the sensors are different but not sure if would work for me.
PLEASE HELP
IM PULLING MY HAIR OUT ON THIS ONE AND I THINK IM ABOUT BALD.
THANKS
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Re: 2.2 na turbo'd but still having problems

Post by n2x4 »

What are you running for engine management?
SUBARUEHS Racing
greenbeen
In Neutral

Post by greenbeen »

i am running a stock ecm and wiring. i sent the harness out and had it rewired. i ended up figuring out my problem. i had a piece of rubber stuck in the bottom of the fuel tank. it ended up plugging up the suction line. but only part of the time and the fuel pressure would drop when it went to a boost situation. but it would build enough to keep the engine running but missing. so all in all, its fixed now and runs great.
thanks
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Are you're running on the stock na or turbo ecu? I would assume the stock turbo ecu since the na ecu would not work very well on a turbo motor. If you are running the turbo ecu, you should be using the turbo metal housed maf.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

There are a lo of people running turbo setups on the NA ECU, it actually works Fairly well, there is a guy in MN that's been running like that for 3-4 years now, dynoed at over 250whp too....not saying it's the best setup but it works
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I'd be too sketched out about blowing it up running that ecu though with the difference in ignition timing though. Thats just me i guess. I guess if you're not pushing a lot of boost, you'd be alright? J
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

250WHP sounds like a lot of boost coming from an engine that used to make 130hp at the crank.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

I'll have to see if I can find the dyne plot.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
madlash93
In Neutral

Post by madlash93 »

(sorry about the being the first place i post and if its not a proper place to post)
anyways.. i have an ej22 n/a should i take the turbo off a junked ej22T or should i just go buy all new stuff? also what amount of boost would be recommended for it?

thanks
1993 Subaru legacy L
FWD
EJ22 N/A
_________
2008 Ford Fusion
greenbeen
In Neutral

Post by greenbeen »

im running all of the stock 2.2 na ecu and ignition. i have t3/t4 turbo on it from a honda i had in the past. its all custom exhaust. i have the wastegate setup as standalone so it will only build about 5# of boost. so i think the engine will last at least the summer i hope...... in between im gonna keep my eye open for a ej22t for next year. plus the nice part is about my motor i can get them for around 400 used.plus it only takes about and hour to swap a engine out... thats alot cheaper than a vw stroker motor.