Re: Xise's 1993 Legacy Turbo

Post by sqc151 »

glad your alright. cars can be fixed.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

so how things going with both cars? did u get the peanut eye fixed yet?

hows the engine build coming along on the 93?

btw, i posted this somewhere on here but i always thought this was a cool pic of the car.

xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

nice haha, yeah I actually should have just fixed this car to get up and running. I THOUGH my 240sx only needed to have the clutch fork reattached to the throwout bearing but I ended up ripping the entire car apart because it was rusted to shit and actually 2 cars welded together!!!!!! I had it at my uncle's shop and he has a ton of welding machines so we went to town on it .....A LOT LOT of work but it is almost roadworthy.

I'll give you a sequence of events picture stlye, mind you I managed to fit an Osha 40 hr HAZWOPER course into this also lol

VERY LAST FUCKING THING FIXED me= very happy, first day riding on new coilovers

looking good, got a price coat for paint, going to go to maaco and get it painted in 3 r so days

The very next fucking day (approx 28 hours on Stance GR+ Pro SSD coilovers)

some dude in an F150 rails me as I am trying to make a right hand turn, and some Evil Hag of an old lady decides to say I was in the breakdown lane from the dunkin donuts, which is 1/4 mile and through 2 intersections WITH traffic lights mind you...the police proceed to get a statement from everyone EXCEPT ME!!!!! issue me a fucking citation and tow my car away...WTF?!?!?! I found out what that old lady said 3 days later when I got the Police report...I swear I would have punched her in the fucking neck if I knew she said that garbage when I was there...I thought she knew the guy or something....I just can't understand why someone would come over and give a BS statement to an accident that she CLEARLY did not see. This lady was at least 75-80 years old.....my luck sucks...still waiting for an insurance adjuster to come take a look at this.

here is my wreck...which is somehow my fault a guy tboned me while I am in a right turn lane about to take a right turn...:unamused:

not sure how that is still holding air...but it is

the other tire on the pass side is the same way....he must have blasted me right up over the curb to do that!!

So I sat there for a few days debating between 2 options...fix the Legacy SS which I have not given a thorough looking over that needs at least a motor swap and timing belt/oil pump/water pump etc OR my 240sx that has been sitting around for 2 years needing this fixed

so I decide to go ahead and spend a day or 2 fixing the nissan and that turned into what is now 3 weeks of ripping this car apart because it is so rusty it basically needed to have the whole front end floor pan frame rails and some engine bay sheet metal cut out and fresh stuff welded in....almost done, car should be on the road this thursday...we shall see!

I can see daylight!!!!

bad rust...real bad

...should have just done the motor swap on the legacy :(

cleaning everything for paint

BAD rust man.....

After that though it is back to work on the legacy and my poor RS...hopefully this shit is over soon and I get some insurance money to fix the RS

I really have my work cut out for me but I think before I fix the RS I am going to get the legacy on the road and paint it...i have narrowed it down to 3 colors, keep it glacier white Flat/Satin black OR WRB...what do you guys think?
2004 Impreza 2.5RS Fränkenpreza Daily Driver
1993 Legacy Sport: Sedan Sex Panther-R.I.P. @ the boneyard
1991 Legacy L Wagon: Sex Panther II
2005 Outback XT Turbo grocery-getter Wife's Daily Driver
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

everything is taken apart and ready for paint

primer and base coat

hung up to dry

steering rack went from this

to this

the fittings were all old and disintegrated upon wrench contact

I got all new aeroquip fittings and hoses for it though, still waiting on them in the mail though
Just got to paint the steering rack, found out my uncle painted my trans for me because he "could not resist" he painted it red lol even though I told him I didn't want to paint it.....well i'll see how it looks lol.

really A LOT more work than I wanted to do, I thought in 2 days time I would fix the prob on the nissan, which was the idiot who did the clutch last put the retainer pin on the bearing in backwards!!! so it could slip right off no problem...morons lol...and the guy I bought it from was all bragging about how he did the clutch job himself...at least it will be nice when it is done. I might just end up selling it after all this and put the $$ into the 2 subaru lawn ornaments I have :D
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

dude, my jaw dropped when i saw the pic of the peanut eye mashed up. thats insane... sorry for ur bad luck in that. i say sell the nissan, get some money and get the white car up and running and painted white. sell the peanut eye and start over on something else. that car wont be the same after its fixed. at the end of the day, youll have a running car and money in your pocket.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

It is just body damage mostly, there is a PS leak somewhere near the manifold and the rear end clunks a bit...I got the right side doors for $150 and need a fender. The rocker panel is still straight and the door frame and front windshield never cracked, only glass was on my front driver window....still drives straight believe it or not. Might end up being a rally beast if not safe for DD anymore.

I will have a few days before I will be back to work so I will take a look once I get a chance. The nissan is going to be on the road this upcoming week. I'll do the timing belt and swap the motor paint the bay and hte rest of the car. The wife wants to paint it WRB, either that or keep it white or Satin black not sure yet
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

a few more things got done.

so everything is painted up and at my uncle's garage, cleaning up the motor for paint and then everything goes back together. My hoses should be in the mail soon and I should be mobile again very soon. This S13 should be fresh as a fucking daisy!! I am going to paint the block gloss black heat enamel, and wrinkle red valve cover. No more EGR to worry about after this either. All in all I think this is shaping up quite nicely, just can't wait to drive it now!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice pictures. That's A LOT of rust
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

it is actually all gone now, frame is completely new metal now new floorpans and everything. I haven't updated in a while but the car is nearly complete now.

I am sure this thread is completely confusing to some as I had to change rails and fix this nissan. Is there a way t split this into another build thread just for the nissan?

I am actually getting the legacy SS towed over to this shop, I would drive it there but it has a REALLY bad leak on the injector closest to the turbo so I don't want it to catch on fire on the ride down.....doing a timing belt and water/oil pump on it maybe change the valve cover gasket also. All i need is a turbo downpipe gasket for the motor swap....rockauto time again :D
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

back to business here, got the car at the garage and got the motor out of the trunk, and I must say Mark you really crammed that thing in there!!!!

I tetrised that thing out of there and got it on a couple blocks of wood to do the timing belt etc....got the motor almost free, got the turbo bolts out and almost all the electrical stuff, just gotta remove this cable going into the trans, either a tach or speedo cable, motor mounts and bellhousing bolts are next....my cousin was supposed to help me pull the motor out of the bay but he couldn't make it, I made a little house for the motor out of a cardboard box to keep it dry until tomorrow....with any luck i could drive this thing home tomorrow and register it on monday!!!

then since I am broke and can't afford a proper paint job, I am gonna get 25 cans of $1 satin black outdoor paint from walmart and go to town on this thing!!!, might toss my 16" goldies from my impreza on here too as the tires are much newer :D it will be awesome to be back in a subie, can't wait!
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

im probly gunna do the same thing with my 92 l satin black are flat black whater.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The good thing is that black dries fast enough that not enough crap gets in it. Also, you can polish it to get some more gloss if you want it. Of course, it will chip fairly easily either way, but that's the breaks.
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

yea there one that painted his wagon on here he used 9 primer and 12 cans of satin black his thread here '92 touring wagon - way too many pics
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

xise wrote:back to business here, got the car at the garage and got the motor out of the trunk, and I must say Mark you really crammed that thing in there!!!!
thats why i said u may have to remove the turbo first...LOL

glad things are coming along for you. cant wait to see it on the road.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

yeah buddy, looks like when you dropped it in the trunk you bent the bracket that holds the throttle cable, it's fine now though, bent it back with a pry bar :D

here are some pics

my good EJ22T living like a homeless person....

pretty much ready to rock and roll here

downpipe had a mite of a leak

wondering why the exhaust was so loud Mark?? lol

motor out!!!

I am really amazed this came off in one piece
I am so poor at this point i am going to be super ghetto and re-use this shitty old turbo gasket lol

Motor is in and my unlce rushed me so I never got to do the timing belt and other shit....:unamused: but it is in so whatevah... I guess if the cyl walls are good on this other motor less stuff I need to buy during the rebuild.....

This thing should be running tomorrow! might make a trip to the DMV if I have time
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Oh yeah and Mark, you were definitely palyin in the mud in this thing weren't you!
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

that car never saw mud during my ownership. either a legal gravel rd or my driveway. i dont take my cars in the mud anymore. i hate cleaning up after. especially under the car and places i cant see or get to...
i dont remember the car being loud :?:

cool to see the car coming along. are you atleast putting the gaskets on i gave u?
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Hmmm well the undercarriage was super cruddy with caked on mud lol, someone was having fun.

Unfourtunetly I am not going to be able to do any PM right now, I am at my uncle's garage, and he gets all pissy when I take too long for his liking. He was trying to rush us dropping the motor in saying "you can't bend that spline on the transmission" My cousin and i both looked at each other like, are you fucking serious?! So if he saw me fucking around with gaskets he would have been all pissed off. I might just save em for my motor rebuild of the other motor. are the valve covers really leaking all that much?? lol I guess I will find out tomorrow.

Pisses me off though, I spent a lot of money getting all the shit I needed to make sure this thing was going to be tuned up all nice, New rear main seal, oil pump, water pump, cam seals, valve cover and oil pan gaskets, I at least got to put in a new thermostat and even got shit for"doin shit that don't need doin" I hate being rushed around...exactly why I need my OWN garage.....it is nice having a place to work , beats doing it on a hill in your driveway but man...I like to work my way, not some old man's way lol
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

yea when i pulled my engine i pulled it with the dp and transmision with the transmision crossmember bars still on lol and bad enough i was using the shop crane on grass wassnt fun it didnt get to much farther then where i pulled it lol i just wraped it up real good. i got a couple sheets of plywood ima use to move it
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

yeah I bet it sank right into the dirt, plywood should do the trick though :p
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

yea sank right down i just used the bar from the crane and stuck it in the ground and puled it puled easy but u only got like 3-4 inch at a time i should have thought that threw b4 doing it lol now i know plywood lol
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

yeah it is good to have a plan first, I usually make a checklist...but half the time I forget it somewhere lol. Motor is all buttoned up, got the hole in the downpipe welded so, no more leaks :D

all I have left to do is swap the coolant lines from the rad over from the old motor, these old crusty trans lines gave me some serious greif today...

Since the motor was from a manual that was being swapped in it had a few extra lines here and there, like an extra fuel line etc...it also seems like the turbo itself is a little different, might just be me but the coolant line was a bitch to get on the turbo from the new motor...it looked like the hose was overstretched to fit and it didn't get on very far...but good enough. Aldo looks like someone moved the coolant header tank from over near the BMC to where the AC compressor is....at least now I can just get some silicone hoses and do the intercooler w/o having to worry about moving that...whoever relocated it did a good job, they made a bracket for it and even put some cool hose guide clamps on there and clipped em to where the spark plug wire holder is...I'll take some pics tomorrow :)
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

OK so the motor is in, everything is connected. Got it started up and it sounds great! Only thing is, it won't go....it goes into goes into gear no prob just won't move. I am thinking the torque converter just doesn't have fluid in it so it won't spin.....if ANYONE has any suggestions please let me know,

I took a video of it just after starting it up

sucks that I can't drive it home, but this should be figured out soon, probably just needs a tranny flush and filter
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

ok so I talked to a bunch of transmission guys around town and only one guy didn't just say "the transmission needs to be rebuilt" mind you none of them have actually SEEN the car in person yet...the one guys said that the torque converter just probably isn't all the way seated back on the spline. He told me you need to listen for 3 clicks, 2 to notch it into place, then the third when you spin the converter on the trans spline and it locks into place.

Since we installed the motor with the converter already bolted to the flexplate, we never got that last click that requires you to sping the converter by hand. Normally I would split the trans and check it but I ran out of time and can't have my car over there anymore, so it got towed to AAMCO. The guy there is really cool and i might even have a job over there lol.

Hopefully I just need the converter set in place, otherwise I might need a new trans pump. Either way the car should be on the road VERY soon. So I need to start getting some parts together so I can finish installing some of the stuff I have.

I was wondering if this would work as the 90 degree elbow after the vf11 and also replace the snorkus too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-W ... 2099wt_939

I plan on getting a few things that hopefully won't require a tune;

stuff I alredy have;
07 WRX TMIC
BOV
shroud for the scoop

stuff I will need;
silicone y pipe
td04 or td05 16g
90 silicone elbow (for turbo inlet)
some pipe to delete the snorkus (either that v3 inlet or coffee can)
probably some more silicone couplers hoses and some aluminum piping
some injectors to match the turbo
better fuel pump