How fast is that thing?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

volny
First Gear

How fast is that thing?

Post by volny »

92 wagon, not sure which kind (L?), non turbo.

Why does my speed gage goes up to 140mph when later models and turbos goes only to 120mph?

I have always been curious about it. Is it just a stock dash they put on every car, or is that little ejj22 really have that much potential?

I know they put the same engine on some older impreza.

Previous owner called this car white lightening, I'd like to find out more :)

So far I can cruise a 80mph easy, but my 5th is really sloppy (more likely bad injectors) plus it's an old car as well.

I cant push to much in 4th unless my rpm goes way up, and so far I like to keep under 4000.

At what RPM is that thing safe to drive by the way?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: How fast is that thing?

Post by evolutionmovement »

High speedometer numbers are for marketing purposes (once the Joan Claybrook 85 mph bullshit was repealed). My guess is that the 1st generations go to 140 because of the speed record cars. I saw 133 in my N/A wagon—the BMW 323 was at least as surprised as I was. True speed was probably somewhere in the 120s, but who cares? Like my past life flying Thunderbolts, we saw 500 mph indicated, that's what we bragged about if we made it back (at some point, I didn't).
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
volny
First Gear

Post by volny »

Interesting to know still! The tire rating recommendation is H (up to 140mph)...that said I wonder how you get there, probably if you have 100 miles of straight road with nobody on it! Anyway it doesnt have a lot of horsepower so I'm assuming this thing will get there like a train :D
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

That BMW couldn't pull more than a hood on me to that speed, but being fwd with its less power loss and apparently with a ringer for an engine helps.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

i can hit 113 comfortly but thats about it
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah I never got my wagon over 115 and only took it over 100 probably once. This was a 90 L AWD 4EAT with 94 trans+rear diff.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
GClark
First Gear

Post by GClark »

I hit 135 in my Legacy..
1994 Legacy Touring Wagon
volny
First Gear

Post by volny »

Damn Clark !! is it auto or manual? AT which RPM?
GClark
First Gear

Post by GClark »

Manual and around 5kish

I have a picture, it was right after decelerating so it doesn't back up my claim. I'll snap a picture next time I'm feeling adventurous ;-) .

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

My wagon would hit 120 fairly easily, but over that it had very little. I remember cruising along 95 and seeing a Lotus Esprit V8 turbo coming up fast behind me with a Neon pacing it two lanes over. I pulled aside for the Lotus and stepped on the gas. At around 110, the Neon hit physics' brick wall and I ran alongside the Lotus to about 120. I look down through his open sunroof, the guy looks up, nods, downshifts, and he was gone as if we had been sitting at a light. I've been behind F40s, Diablos, Murcielagos, F355s, etc., but that Lotus was the only exotic that didn't require me to slow down from my normal (former) cruising speed to hang with.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Gclark,
A 'touring wagon' has a turbo, and yours looks to be a 5-swap based on the pic of your dash?

NOT busting your-know-whats, just clarifying.

Edit: Found your Build Journal.....some of your pics are missing, but I like the wide tires. :-)

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
DevC
First Gear

Post by DevC »

I've had cars that exceed the speedo no problem, and I've had cars that would never reach the end of the speedo without fear of death(legacy). Just cause that wat it says, doesnt mean it can go that fast.

jdm cars are limited to 180kph and thats all the speedo reads to, my 2nd gen jdm wagon would get there fast and feel like half that in a 1st gen, but as soon as you hit 180kph it shuts you down.
93 Turbo Wagon, 5mt swap, vlsd, sti slanty, vf10, alk, subframe lockout, gr2's, sti sways.
96 F-350 CCLB Powerstroke
89 Volvo 244, lsx swap
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

When I was FWD, I had thing thing to 130 mph.....and since turboing, have had it to 120 a couple times.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

hmmm I got cams, intake, exhaust, crank pully, manifold spacers.

I havent tried topping it out but it will do 100mph relativly easilly. top I have hit 110 when it was stock but it was winding out hard at like 6k in 3rd. felt like I was gonna blow it up.

I blame the auto tranny... and the hilly highway I drive on lol
93 legacy l
to much to list....
volny
First Gear

Post by volny »

Some nice stories up here! Stay safe though ;)

I would like so much to get on a track and test that thing (and also learn how to drift :)...

What RPM is this car safe to drive?

On windy roads I like putting in 4th at around 4k RPM around 80mph , for traction and nervosity, but I don't if it is good to drive long distance like that? That's also why I was wondering bout the top speed, to understand how to bring it up there and get a scale of what can be done with it...you know just in case ;)

5th at 80mph is very sloppy and accelerate like a snail...which means I should be able to stretch the 4th passed 100pmh theoretically? I;m just making assumptions I'm still a kook, but loving the learning process with this brand :D
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I ran my EA81 GL back and forth from Boston to school in Detroit cruising near red line in top gear overloaded with gear for much of the drives. My cruising speed with the EJ22 used to be 85.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

85? Damn. With my 4.444 I'm at 3K 60mph. At 85 I'd be so high in RPM I would get like 10mpg. Lucky. Sure wish this trans had a 6th gear.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
asotwavb
First Gear

Post by asotwavb »

Sorry for the bad quality..... :lol:

1992 Legacy Sport
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Fwd 5MT=3.7 FD=~27 mph/1000 rpm. I hate short gearing.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

So you'd be at 81 mph at 3K while I am at 60mph. wow. This explains my piss poor fuel economy. 19.5 and 18.3 the last two tanks.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Yeah, and I used to get a consistent 25 from a tank at that speed (with some ventures to higher speeds as well). I don't know why so many companies insist on short top gears. That's a big reason a Corvette can almost match an average sub compact hatch on the highway. Even the damned Mazda runs 23 mph/1000 rpm in top—the same my 1983 GL ran with less than half the horsepower peaking at low rpm and worse aerodynamics. If I convert Duchess to rwd, I'm going to see if I can manage the gearing to put her around 30 mph/1000 rpm. That, playing with some boost control, and some aero tweaks I hope will get her at least 30 mpg at cruise.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Sure would be nice. Filling up for $50-$55 a week in this car is no fun at all. Twice what the metro costs to drive.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I wish kept better track of the wagon as I wonder how far off the Mazda it would be. I drive slower now and average 30/tank in that. Driving 70-75 might have brought the wagon into closing range of the 3. But it wouldn't get anywhere near the 2012 Focus I'm going to look at today.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah no doubt. Seems as though the automotive industry has finally decided to make cars that get good gas mileage. Pretty embarrassing that 40 years ago cars got better gas mileage than they did 10 years ago. :roll: I know they can make cars that get as much as 60mpg if they wanted to, maybe more. But at least 40mpg is bearable.

My 1990 legacy L wagon with AWD and a 4EAT trans out of a 94 wagon got 25mpg regularly and actually got 28mpg on the last tank I went through before selling it.
GClark
First Gear

Post by GClark »

wtdash wrote:Gclark,
A 'touring wagon' has a turbo, and yours looks to be a 5-swap based on the pic of your dash?

NOT busting your-know-whats, just clarifying.

Edit: Found your Build Journal.....some of your pics are missing, but I like the wide tires. :-)

Td

Thanks! Yes we did a transmission swap, and yes, photobucket is broken.