Ok, I want more power.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

_Aramchek_
First Gear

Ok, I want more power.

Post by _Aramchek_ »

I am finally going to be able to put money in to my car soon, I would like more power, as easily as possible.

I would be happy with around 250 chp or so, the car is a 91 legacy turbo, is my goal possible? And if so what parts and knowledge would get me there?
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Re: Ok, I want more power.

Post by 93forestpearl »

If you state your budget, we can work from there. Otherwise, there will be a lot of ideas that are not necessary and expensive.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
_Aramchek_
First Gear

Post by _Aramchek_ »

Hmm, budget, well I'm looking to put $1,000-2,000 in to it over the summer.
But I'd like to start with smaller things at first, and keep the cost down as much as possible, maybe do supporting mods.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

Turbo- $100-2500 Used/ New availability, compatibility dependent
Intercooler- $50-500 fitment issues
3''+ exhaust- $20-1500+ depending on who makes it, and if it has cats.
Intake- free- $150 again depending on who you go through and how its going to hook up

These are the basics and the easiest to mess with without getting to fancy and also the things that are going to bump you up. My figures arent going to help because there are so many options you can go depending on how much fab work you want to do. You can do this all for very cheap if you shop around long enough. Just research, research and then double research to avoid buying things that wont fit, wrong part number, mis information, and or way out of your ability to make it work.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
_Aramchek_
First Gear

Post by _Aramchek_ »

Ok, I have two possible intercoolers already, i think I will use the volvo one as it looks easier to fit.

As for the turbo, i see so many different suggestions I'm kind of wondering what fits my needs best.

I want to keep teh quick spool up and low down power, but I would like a little more pull at higher rpm's than what is currently available.
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I'm not an expert with turbos but when i swapped to my td04, i kept pretty quick spool as well as an increase in boost up higher and i paid $60 for it with 50k miles on it from an 02 wrx. I had my exhaust made for $70 plus $200 for 3" bellmouth downpipe. So, thats a place to start. Open the intake and exhaust is usually the first step.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I would definately invest in a decent intercooler also if you intend to increase boost. I paid as much for my FMIC setup as most people do with a top mount but it is definately a lot more work but pays off i think.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon