Possibly blown transmission, real quick question

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Possibly blown transmission, real quick question

Post by SubaruNation »

Hey guys,

so i have been doing some reading and i have afew short questions.

I understand that in order to be all fixed, I need to grab a 90-94 turbo legacy transmission, but then do i need to take the driveline / rear diff also?

also i've seen awd 5mt transmissions in other older legacies, but they were NA... would it be possible to use one of those?
or would that not be possible because of the differences in rear diffs?
+ could i use the N/A 5mt transmission and just match it up to my existing 3.9 lsd setup, or no because that transmission itself isn't paired to that diff?

i currently posses the 90-91 ss transmission on my wagon.

Thanks!
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Re: Possibly blown transmission, real quick question

Post by x2hawt4ux »

i have a 92 turbo legacy and i had the 4.11 diff because the 3.9lsd blew up. so it is possible to go to a different ratio. the shift points and spedo will be affected though. now i have a welded 3.9 for my drift set up. trany wise i'm pretty sure just about any awd subaru trany will work. not 100% sure but pretty sure lol. the turbo gears are stronger though if you plan on high hp. they are just hard to come by. if that helps. oh and i have a ss trany with forester gears inside and it works just fine.
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

sweet thanks!

I found a 91 SS tranny with 194K miles, but im wondering if that is worth buying.. i would like to get something stronger if i am going to do this, and do it right.
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Would a RS transmission work?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

what are recommendations people have?
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

All misinformation so far. It's not clear to me why you're trying to swap drivetrain - Auto to manual project?

A few basic rules.
  • We're dealing with AWD, so there are front diff ratios and rear diff ratios. These MUST match. You can't run a 3.9 trans and a 4.11 rear diff. There's a great transmission chart that shows ratios.
  • You can use a NA transmission on a turbo engine, you just have to have the correct flywheel and clutch. You'll also need to swap slave cyl. or convert to cable clutch.
Subaru's are like legos. You can mix and match a number of different ways. Hell, I'm running a 2000 Legacy transmission with 3.9 gearing on my legacy turbo 3.9 diff in an Impreza.

SubaruNation wrote:Hey guys,

so i have been doing some reading and i have afew short questions.

I understand that in order to be all fixed, I need to grab a 90-94 turbo legacy transmission, but then do i need to take the driveline / rear diff also?

also i've seen awd 5mt transmissions in other older legacies, but they were NA... would it be possible to use one of those?
or would that not be possible because of the differences in rear diffs?
+ could i use the N/A 5mt transmission and just match it up to my existing 3.9 lsd setup, or no because that transmission itself isn't paired to that diff?

i currently posses the 90-91 ss transmission on my wagon.

Thanks!
SUBARUEHS Racing
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Thank you for the clarification, it's not a project. im looking to replace my blown 90-91 legacy transmission, which is currently on my wagon, along with the 3.9 diff.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Check out the Transmission Information Chart here: http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/techdocs.html

You'll get all your compatible transmissions. You have to pay close attention to the final drive ratios (the 3.9 and 4.11 numbers) - you'll see that a 2000 Legacy base model has 3.9 gearing where the GT and Outback had 4.11. Also notice the list is split to pull and push style transmissions.

Subaru used 3.9, 4.11, and 4.44. You won't find anything else out there. Also, don't be caught off guard by the 02+ WRX transmission. It may be 3.9, but there's a 1.1 transfer gear that changes the actual ratio to 3.54 for the rear diff.

If you need help reading that chart, just post here and I'd be happy to help clarify.
Last edited by n2x4 on Wed May 04, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUBARUEHS Racing
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

i should know this, but are ss / turbo legacy trannys cable or hydro driven?
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

SubaruNation wrote:i should know this, but are ss / turbo legacy trannys cable or hydro driven?
Hydro.

All the the pull style transmissions were hydro. Subaru switched push style transmissions to hydro somewhere around 98/99. Even if you have an early push style that was designed for a cable, you can swap it to hydro if you want. Not a big deal.

Not all turbo transmissions are pull style. The new 08+ WRX is push style again.
SUBARUEHS Racing
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

hydro*... got it
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

SubaruNation wrote:Thank you for the clarification, it's not a project. im looking to replace my blown 90-91 legacy transmission, which is currently on my wagon, along with the 3.9 diff.

Just to clarify, the blown transmission in question is from a turbo legacy? If so it has to be from a 91 Legacy.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

correct, 91.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Ok,

So according to this page here

if i have a 91 legacy ss transmission, with 3.9 front and rear differentials (done),

then i can swap in...

Impreza 93-2001 with EJ22 and cable tranny: 3.9FD
Legacy 95-99 with EJ22 and cable tranny: 3.9FD
----
91-94 Legacy SS: 3.9FD
04-05 STI: 3.9FD

And to make the cable driven one work, i would just swap the hydraulic stuff over? and should work fine?

also - i found a 91 ss tranny with 194K...which is alot of miles.

what do you guys recommend?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

To make the cable transmissions work as hydraulic you supposedly need to use the hydraulic push style clutch fork. The issue is the pivot point is supposedly different. So you would need to drill/tap the upper boss to accept the pivot ball. You can see a pic of the pivot ball here.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/ima ... P_3077.JPG

I have not done this myself, but that's my understanding of what would need to be done. There may be some other details.

The 91 with the 194k miles, assuming it hasn't been beat on, probably still will have worn syncros. It'll shift, but may have minor issues. Problem with any of the turbo legacy stuff, most of the stuff you will find will likely be a higher mileage trans. So it's either roll dice and install as is, or have it "refreshed" with new wear components, syncros, etc.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm